Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom Live services for Ireland

Options
  • 27-10-2010 5:35pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Tom Tom Live Now Available in Ireland
    dublintraffic1.gif
    We have been testing TomTom live services over the past 2 months.
    All is going well & stock of the new GO1000 Live series will be available from early next week in stores around the country
    1280951085_586010119.jpg
    Live traffic is now available on the TomTom route planner
    http://routes.tomtom.com/#/map/

LIVE services will include traffic (initial coverage mainly Dublin),
    dublintraffic.gif

Google Local Live Search , Weather and speed cameras.

GO-LIVE-1000-LIVEmenu_Large.jpg
    The Go 1000 is an impressive device.
    The glass screen is nice & iPhone style gestures make navigation of the new menu structure simple & very user friendly.

More info will follow after the official launch.
    Any questions on Live Services ? Feel free to post here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

That sounds great, thanks for the update. Does that mean live services will be coming to the iphone version shortly?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    Does that mean live services will be coming to the iphone version shortly?
    I am awaiting a response from Tom Tom on this.
    Ill post up as soon as I hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Thats route planner is pretty good, just hope that it is up to date, unlike the maps, I didn't know that bayside had turned back into kilbarrack lower haha.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

allen175 wrote: »
    Thats route planner is pretty good, just hope that it is up to date, unlike the maps, I didn't know that bayside had turned back into kilbarrack lower haha.

I have met plenty of people who would try to convince you the opposite.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Am very interested in this. Looking to upgrade from my 4 year old TOM TOM which has way out of date maps. I take it this is the TOM TOM 1005 model that is coming out? The 1000 model has gotten a hammering from reviewers on Amazon complaining about the software, do you know if these issues have been sorted out? Also, is the Live Services included for life with the 1005 or is it a trial?

• Advertisement

The initial launch is the 1000. There is a live version of the 1005 & also a lower end model expected shortly. There were a lot of issues during testing of the software & the new TomTom Home interface, but I have had no issues on the last few builds. The unit comes with a years free subscription to live services & no doubt, the latest map guarantee.
    When I get exact prices I'll post them up.

Ah cool. What differences are there between the 1005 and the 1000 do you know?

Prices are as follows

GO1000 UK/IRL Maps - €279.99
    GO1000 European Maps - €299.99
    GO1005 European Maps - €349.99

Stock will start appearing in stores by Monday or Tuesday.
    Subscription charge will be about €47.99 for a year after the first free 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I presume the live services will be available on older tomtom devices too? A tomtom Go 730, for instance? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    That sounds great, thanks for the update. Does that mean live services will be coming to the iphone version shortly?

Yes the latest update for iPhone allows you to purchase Live services as an option .

Moriarty wrote: »
    I presume the live services will be available on older tomtom devices too? A tomtom Go 730, for instance? :)

AFAIK yes , you need a connection to a compatible phone with a Wireless Data Connection , its only available on the latest maps and only available on TomTom devices equipped with Bluetooth

Good to see that the price is competitive with purchasing it through Amazon UK.
    koolkid wrote: »
    Prices are as follows

GO1000 UK/IRL Maps - €279.99
    GO1000 European Maps - €299.99
    GO1005 European Maps - €349.99

Stock will start appearing in stores by Monday or Tuesday.
    Subscription charge will be about €47.99 for a year after the first free 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

wow, looks very good ...price isn't bad as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Just to mention also, this is the first range of TomTom devices that will alert to the nationwide speed enforcement zones that will soon be monitored by a private company called Go Safe - the RSA are due to commence a campaign this month to create public awareness...
    Navigation firm TomTom has launched new content for its sat-nav devices in conjunction with the Road Safety Authority (RSA) that will alert drivers when they are entering or exiting one of the new Speed Enforcement Zones in Ireland.

The news comes as the company launches its new GO LIVE 1000 sat-nav devices that come with local Google search along with weather updates, HD traffic and mobile speed camera detection technology.

According to the RSA, excessive or inappropriate speed is a key factor in one-third of road deaths each year.

Last year, 80 people died and up to 1,000 others were seriously injured on Irish roads due to speeding. Reducing speed by just 5pc could save up to 50 lives per year in Ireland.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/18548-tomtom-in-deal-with-rsa-to/

Also, as koolkid said above, stock is currently shipping and already in some stores nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭SomeDude

I was interested in buying this device, however I've been put off by some very negative reviews. The general opinion seems to be that it was released before being ready and as a result has lots of bugs. Links below.

Has anybody used it over an extended period of time in Ireland? Or is anyone aware of any detailed Irish reviews??

Thanks.

SomeDude

http://www.gadgetguy.de/2010/11/03/tomtom-go-1000-live-when-customer-beta-testing-goes-too-far/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-LIVE-Satellite-Navigation-System/dp/B003Z6P0AG

I have been testing these devices intensely for the past 2 months.
    There have been no major issues with the last 2 builds, which are what the end user are getting. The device not being mountable as a USB device is not a bug its a security feature. Protecting against piracy.The ability to add custom POIs had been suggested, lets wait and see what happens.

Thanks for t he prompt reply. What's your opinion of the HD live traffic thingy? Does it work in Ireland? Can you give examples of how it helped or hindered you?

HD traffic is working very well in Dublin at the moment.
    It will expand across the country in the future.
    Most incidents are very accurate.

Just did a quick check this morning. Argos have the European version for €335.94 and Currys have it for €319.99. Halfords dont have it in stock yet. Any ideas of where a bricks and mortar shop would have it for 299?

• Advertisement

If you know someone insured with AXA they get 15% discount in Halfords , might be worth your while waiting for them to get stock .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

mbroaders wrote: »
    Just did a quick check this morning. Argos have the European version for €335.94 and Currys have it for €319.99. Halfords dont have it in stock yet. Any ideas of where a bricks and mortar shop would have it for 299?

Most of the local dealers took delivery this week - I know Power City and Peats have them in stock if you are in Dublin.

Picked one up from Peats this afternoon for 299. Seems like a nice piece of kit so far. Minor quibbles i have had are that the keys are sometimes less responsive than you would like so you end up pressing them more than once which leads to you misspelling names of roads etc. Other thing i would of liked to have seen is for the units to have changed to km rather than miles automatically and the voice to change to an irish voice automatically once you pick your home country but in fairness thats a very minor thing.

Live Services all seem to be working, will know over the next few weeks how well that is working.
    I notice it is using version 8.50 of the maps. From what i read there isnt a 8.55 available for this model. Does anyone know if there will be an update within 90 days for it? I ask as i am entitled to a free update within 90 days.

You sould be entitled to the latest map.
    My GO1000 also has 850 maps.
    What application version is on the device?
    Perhaps if you hold out till v860 is released before connecting to TTHome, you will be offered that as the latest map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 memet

i am looking at the go 1000 myself

just a bit curious on how you would update the maps in the future..

it has no sd slot, it wont be recognised as a usb device,so how are you meant to update it?

It updates via Tom Tom Home.They are not going to sell a device that can't be updated.

So I called into a branch of Power city to see if they had any in stock.

I didn't see any on on display, so I literally chased down a sales assistant (even though there was more staff than customers). He wasn't aware of any new model but said he'd check the stock. So I rambled over with him to the nearest computer."No", he said, "nothing"......"maybe they will be in the Christmas, sorry." I suppose I shouldn't expect much in the way of service from Power city tough!

Was in Peats in Blanchardstown today ,they have them.
    Although looking around a few places over the past few days a lot of shops seem to have excess older stock. Especially PC World Halfords & HArvey Normans. Maybe they are wanting to try shift that first.

Have been using it around Dublin the past couple of days. Have been to the Docks in Dublin and around town. Couple of issues with the maps and with the HD Traffic functionality.

1. On leaving the docks it tries to bring you out the wrong way (Past the NO EXIT)
    2. It wanted me to take a left hand turn onto Samuel Beckett Bridge coming from North Wall which you can't since it opened.
    3. To bring me back towards Crumlin from the quays it wanted me to go up Fishamble street and take a right towards Christchurch which again you can't and never could.
    4. The HD traffic is a bit spotty. It picks up on slow traffic and roadworks in some parts of Dublin but it didn't seem to spot the horribly slow traffic it brought me into in Rathmines or on the Clogher road. Also, it didnt know about the roadworks on the North Wall which are fairly major and have reduced the lanes to one and have a stop/go system.

I'm guessing the first 3 points can be fixed by map updates or by me manually making the change on the unit but i was surprised particularly by it getting the turns on Samuel Beckett and on Fishamble street incorrect. I'm certain that my old 4 year old TomTom knew about Fishamble street at least. I'm not 100% how the HD traffic works, does it get the info from other Tom Toms so is it something that will improve? It is hard to trust it if it doesn't have solid coverage as it could easily divert you from one bad route into a worse route.

• Advertisement

1. On leaving the docks it tries to bring you out the wrong way (Past the NO EXIT)
    Can you give me the exact junction & the approach for this?
    2. It wanted me to take a left hand turn onto Samuel Beckett Bridge coming from North Wall which you can't since it opened.
    This error has been reported to TA
    3. To bring me back towards Crumlin from the quays it wanted me to go up Fishamble street and take a right towards Christchurch which again you can't and never could.
    Reported , please also correct on your device & set to share corrections.
    4. The HD traffic is a bit spotty. It picks up on slow traffic and roadworks in some parts of Dublin but it didn't seem to spot the horribly slow traffic it brought me into in Rathmines or on the Clogher road. Also, it didnt know about the roadworks on the North Wall which are fairly major and have reduced the lanes to one and have a stop/go system.
    This will improve over time as more & more devices come online.
    From testing from the start in my experience generally the traffic it shows is fairly accurate. At the moment I find it is more likely to miss traffic then to tell you something that is not there. I have on a good few occasions not believed it to my peril. On one occasion I was coming onto M50 from the Airport @ 8am . It showed 15 minute delay between Blanchardstown & Lucan exits. That never happens in the morning I thought, but shortly after Finglas exit there it was a lovely long line of traffic:) . Kinda annoying & sadisfying all at the same time.:D

Advertisement