Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free online MMA Videos...

• 27-10-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

gonna shoot some free online videos aimed at people just getting into mma. have 3 in mind - one each for stand up, clinch and ground. the emphasis been on the correct posture in each range with some ideas on what your goals/strategies should be in each position.

my question is what would you like to see in these videos as a beginner?

my competition team has gone 17-3 in mma this year including 3 major title wins as well as more gold medals than any other team in the irish bjj open and numerous other submission wrestling/bjj championship wins so i'll have some good stuff to share.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

From my personal point of view being on the ground is my first fear when i start to compete. I know in rolling i am able to just stop for a moment relax and work my way out in that method. I'm just afraid that in a fight situation i may be to tempted to work quicker and leave myself open to mistakes.

Some tips on what should come second nature, my first example would be if i was trying a triangle but end up getting stacked and rolled backwards my first instinct is to turtle and cross my arms around my neck to prevent a choke. I could be wrong but it's just what comes natural to me, so some different tricks like that automatically the first position you need to assume when you are in trouble.

Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

good questions...i'll probably shoot a seperate video for that as its quite specific :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

how about some ideas from the "escaping/defensive" side of things , theres a loads of clips online on how to finish from various positions or shooting for takedowns or of different combinations to throw, but how about the defensive side maybe escapes from various mounts ,side control..., proper technique for the defense of armbars or triangles (might have helped fedor!) what to do when your opponent grabs a leg and trys for a single leg takedown... how to slip punches and cover up effectively when being swarmed. just thinkin of the mma league for an example of people starting out in mma and we see plenty of subs but not a lot in the way of proper defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Strikes while crash passing would be cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

how about balance when striking, i keep finding myself of balance when throwing hooks etc...

• Advertisement

in all honesty that would not be my strong point...but i could get our boxing coach to do one or two :)

keep an eye on http://vimeo.com/channels/sbgtv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Well i would fit pretty well into the beginner category for sure.I have watched tutorial videos online for some interesting things from basic guard pass to flying armbars, all so interesting.
    I guess im curious do you mean for people already training or people who are considering training?
    As you said just getting into mma, i presume they are considering or just started classes and training.
    One thing i noticed after trying one of the jujitsu classes was my cardio and upper body strength was lacking alot.And i had no way to gage what the standard or minimum should be to be able to last a full class.I still kind of dont.
    So i did some research on cardio at home and im working on my own version of the m100 idea.I cant do 100 of them but im building up to something similar but involving more pushups.
    Is it possible to do a video that teaches the warmups you do and for how long? It would also give new people an idea of what to expect before coming in.The bonus of the m100 idea is i can do it all in my room while im snowed in.So i have noexcuses now :)

I also loved doing the jujitsu when i tried out.It was a pity i couldnt enjoy it longer because i was too tired to go on haha
    But from watching i could see already i will benefit and learn fast once i am able to get in shape again.

When we were practising getting past guard i was in a mixed class so i cant know how the beginner one goes yet till i turn up.
    But i felt a bit unsure of what to do because i could see oppurtunities to take guys down from my back(and did once although felt guilty after LOL). But how do i know how much to defend and how much to let them learn a move or practise?
    Another example when practising the RNC i was unsure if it was ok to catch the persons arm with my left foot,but i did it without thinking and again felt like maybe i was doing the training wrong as he was supposed to be practising defending it.
    So i guess as a complete beginner i need to learn how much i need to hold back when grappling with someone.Dont know if its easy to make a video explaining each position in training and what is expected of both parties involved,but it would make my life much easier and i think bring some confidence too.
    A video showing how to work with a training partner in alot of basic positions would be so helpful for me anyway.
    I can already youtube any position im curious about and maybe i get one or two different ways to do them which is nice.But i havent seen anything like that i described yet.
    I guess to start i would love to see a few videos on the very basic positions used most in training so i at least have a basic idea where to put my body, head, arms etc.

Ideally i would love to learn what you are about to teach by watching a basic video of it before i turned up that day.I would be then more confident and familiar with the idea and might save you some time teaching me the basic idea of a move/position and also hearing what resistance is expected during such a position/move from the opponent/training partner is important to me.

Maybe those limits are set out in the basic training.Either way i will be back to SBG soon, hopefully with better cardio :D

good post there and a lot of points :)

ok let me deal with this first

"basics"

i hate this word! it implies theres 'advanced' moves and distracts beginners. there is no 'advanced' jab in boxing. a beginner performs a jab technically incorrect and more importantly has no idea of 'timing' to land it on a resisting opponent. but it is 'easily' learned and when coached correctly you'll see beginners performing jabs correctly and landing them in sparring relatively quickly, therefore i call this a 'high percentage' technique.

its technically simple and timing required for it is low...by definition it will be seen a lot in actual matches. a spinning back fist is a 'low percentage' technique for the opposite reasons.

in bjj its no different. study actual matches/mma fights, you will see the same core 'high percentage' techniques been performed all the time. civilians tend to get excited when they see a stoned puffin gogo dancer plata or whatever is the cool move this month...for me when i see a high percentage technique done correctly and performed against a resisting world class opponent...thats a thing of beauty.

every high level player i know is a master of the 'high percentage' techniques.

regarding cardio...this is very simple. at the beginning you'll get tired quickly...if you train 2-3 times per week you'll be able to roll for 5-6 rolls in a row after 9-12mths ....roughly speaking. imho i would forget about weights, running etc etc and just roll...there's no quick way to get it.

resistance levels - in the words of luke corcoran "you dont want to be a wet noodle or a brock lesnar" :D again this is a question that answers itself after the 9-12mth period. i explain it at the beginning of all my intro classes. when we're drilling techniques with resistance (isolation training) you want it to be difficult but not impossible for your partner to execute them. they must get a 'positive' result from performing the technique correctly...otherwise they'll never gain confidence in new movements.

those 2 points - cardio and resistance levels - are the 2 most common questions/problem areas beginners have and i've spoken to many coaches about this over the years about how to over come them. what ive suggested above but more important 'time on the mat' are by far the best answers i've seen.

i'll see about throwing a video together covering these points 'how to train' rather than specific techniques too - thanks for the idea!

..and of course you're welcome down to SBG anytime :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Another one. I'm writing this now and i last trained on Saturday.As per usual i am now cracking up now as the gym i train in only offered BJJ Twice a week. I don't have the ability to have my own little set up at home for drilling. I don't want to watch videos on Youtube of Eddie Bravo telling me about how i need my legs behind my head. However flexibility is a key issue. I find that the gap from Saturday to Thursday is that of a big one. If i dedicate 15 minutes each day or more to stretching that makes me at least think it will benefit me when i go to train. The most effective stretches for BJJ i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Ground and Pound both attacking and defending against.

Half guard for mma.

Escapes from bad positions against a wall/cage.

Cheers JK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

maybe some high % sweeps that take the new C class rules on board so your not taking much damage when using them, thanks JK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I'm starting BJJ in January so would be very interested in a video giving an overview of what to concentrate on during the first year of training.

For example, I know that in the first few months, I'm going to get subbed a hell of a lot and probably won't be able to get a sub for a while. So what should I be concentrating on (i.e. how do I avoid subs, what positions do I want to avoid/attain, what exercises should I work on to develop flexibility etc) and how should I measure my progress?

Personally, I'd find such information very useful because I imagine it's pretty disheartening if you're continually getting your ass handed to you every class without seeing how you're improving. A step-by-step checklist of things to focus on would be extremely useful.

Cheers,

Paul

good questions there paul

i'd suggest reading

Exploring the Map

which talks about much of what you're asking.

no matter what advice you get there's something you'll have to deal with....when you roll you're gonna get tapped out...repeatedly. im sure you get that but its this 'rite of passage' that everybody has had to go through. by definition you will be working on defense/survival for the first couple of months at least when you 'free roll'. however if you are in a good club employing correct coaching methods you will also do some 'positional sparring' to allow you to feel what its like when you're on top, applying a submission etc.

at SBG i use a 12-week intro program covering the 12 most common positions. by the time you've completed the course you will at least have experienced every position and have an idea of what your goals are...being able to achieve those goals is what takes the time. enjoy the journey and if you've any questions along the way feel free to ask here or email me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

good questions there paul

i'd suggest reading

Exploring the Map

Thanks so much for that John - that's exactly what I needed and I've saved it as a favourite.

matt has a way with words :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

how about balance when striking, i keep finding myself of balance when throwing hooks etc...

might want to look at myboxingcoach.com, not MMA specific, guy is professional boxing coach, but he has nice short videos from multiple angles with a "common" mistakes and then further "combinations" sets for the more advanced - http://www.myboxingcoach.com/boxing-skills/

SM

Advertisement