Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commerce?

• 27-10-2010 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

would anybody know if there is any apparent difference between a commerce degreee and a degree in business?
    also, is there any benefit of having a foreign language, i.e french, as regards career opurtunities outside of working in France?
    and finally, which degree is best in Ireland if one was to study business/commerce at college?
    lads please help they all seem the same to me and i cant decide!

best commerce/business degree? 18 votes

NUI GAlway
    0%
    UCC
    27%
    RHJJames2693Sophia91Patrilolno 5 votes
    UCD
    22%
    lydsomSteve!SlimySeagullJasonbreakley1 4 votes
    UL
    50%
    RMDShiny mcShinegottcha_goin!MAVERICK!higgzLutherBlissettChris Martinirishgirl10ggmad 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

amadan1993 wrote: »
    would anybody know if there is any apparent difference between a commerce degreee and a degree in business?
    also, is there any benefit of having a foreign language, i.e french, as regards career opurtunities outside of working in France?
    and finally, which degree is best in Ireland if one was to study business/commerce at college?
    lads please help they all seem the same to me and i cant decide!

UL is prob the best place to study business because the course includes a work experience program..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

UL
    Not really a major difference between Commerce and Business tbh in terms of course content. However, I would say Bachelor of Commerce has better international credibility.

If you want to work in France or perhaps some other French speaking country then yes it will obviously have a working benefit. Will it make you more employable in Ireland?..I would say no. Its an extra year in college if you do it and you are studying French like you did for the Leaving Cert. You will do orals and aurals and all that stuff. Its not just business taught through French.

I am biased slightly when it comes to where to pick because i done Commerce in UCD. So I can't speak for other courses in the country. But I will say this. It gives you a hell of a lot of epxerience in terms of group work, presentations and time management. Also, If its Dublin you want to work in after your degree you'll find a lot of people you meet in interviews at management level have done the BComm in UCD. It is highly regarded amongst employers, moreso than any other business degree imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

UL
    I know you asked this months ago but in case you're still interested I'll give you my view on it. There's no difference between Commerce and Business, same thing, same stuff thought although Commerce does sound a bit more niche which might could potentially be attractive to an employer.

UCD is the top business school in Ireland, the only Irish business school to have both the highest European and American accreditation. It's campus is incredibly modern and so is the course. Personally I'd say the best prospect of employment is through there or Trinity as they have the best names. Do remember though name means nothing if you're only scrape a pass in your degree, a person with 1.1 from UCG will be far more appealing to an employer than someone from Trinity or UCD with 2.2

A language is useful, it opens up more potential prospects of employment and offers opportunities that just possessing English wouldn't. Most courses based on or with a language also include a year abroad, in some cases it's mandatory and usually by the end of this year you'll be essentially fluent in the language. This year is usually done for the 3rd year after already studying business and the language for 2 years, you'll continue to study business while you study abroad. Possessing fluency in a language opens up the prospect of working in countries which speak that language if the Irish job market is still awful by the time you leave college. Even if you don't wish to move abroad or to a non English speaking country, having that extra language could get you a job in doing business with foreign clients and there's good money in this as you'll be a vital link.

Advertisement