Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromahair - what's it like?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Hi all

As the title suggests I'm wondering what Dromahair is like?

Is there much crime? Any rough neighbourhoods in the area?

Does the area have broadband?

Anyone who has any idea, I would appreciate your opinions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

No real crime. Certain families like every small town maybe.
    There is broadband available from several providers.
    The village has been somewhat spoiled by rampant and unwarrented development in recent years. Planning gained where it should not have been and clutted estates.
    Apart from that it's very nice, lovely scenery around and convenient to Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

It's a truly beautiful place.. very, very quiet though. A lot of north Leitrim is stunning and Dromahair is close to Manorhamilton at least which is busier, and you'd be close to Sligo and Ck-on-Shannon.

There are some creative people there, beautifully and imaginatively built houses and also Irish spoken by a few locals so that would be a bonus for some, not many, but it's nice there is that tradition there.

Overall I would say this is one of the nicest places you could live and it's on my list for my later years in life! It's quiet in itself so could be on quiet side for a lot of young people, that's the only downside I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I agree with the above. Dromahair all in all a great spot. Lovely pubs. Good shops that you would get most things in. A grande take away. And a cheese shop as well! Very good restuarant called the Riverbank close to it. Nice walks. Great countryside and one of the best scenic drives in the country imo, the road around Lough gill into Sligo. There a good ecletic mix of people, good arts. For example here two little festivals every year including an annual film festival this time of the year.
    http://www.cinemanorthwest.com/sharing/files/posterprogrammefinal.pdf
    So check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Has the Abbey Hotel closed? I was in Dromahair the other week and it looked rundown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Essexboy wrote: »
    Has the Abbey Hotel closed? I was in Dromahair the other week and it looked rundown.

Yes its closed, for some time now. Sad to see such a lovely building shut down like that...

Dromahair is a fantastic place to live!! Here about 5 years and love it. People are friendly, the scenery is fantastic and there is a good community spirit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 ruanaidh

Dromahair is indeed a very scenic place but in my opinion it's more a place to retire than a place to go and make your millions :D Due to the sparsity of high payed jobs in North Leitrim, most young people have moved elsewhere to find work. Dromahair being no different.

It's well worth a visit though. As Tuppence stated, the drive from Sligo via Parke's Castle is really stunning and the Riverbank restaurant which is just the far side of the town is also worth a trip for something to eat. Afterwards you can walk the short hike from the back of the Abbey Hotel to the ruins of Creevelea Abbey (it's a real gem) along the banks of the river Bonet to walk the dinner off :)

Advertisement