Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer eRecovery Management - Burning - INT15 Error, eRecovery must be terminated.

• 27-10-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Every day when the PC is turned on this box appears on the screen, anyone have any idea what it means? Thanks.

untitled-1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

does the machine work ok despite this error ?
    looks like its trying to burn a recovery disk for itself

whizbang wrote: »
    does the machine work ok despite this error ?
    looks like its trying to burn a recovery disk for itself
    Yes, the machine works fine otherwise.

Today the anti-virus said something about a virus, see screen-cap:

untitled-2-1.jpg

I have no way of removing the virus as the anti-virus software is a free trial and in order to remove the virus, the anti-virus has to be purchased, but I have no money to buy an anti-virus and my mother can't afford it either (it is her computer, not mine) and I don't know of a free anti-virus which will remove the viruses and we have used a ton of free anti-virus software as neither of us can afford to buy anti-virus.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Install if possible, Malwarebytes Anti-malware free tool if not tried already.
    Here: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

One of the very best, it should detect what PCtools found (AND MORE POSSIBLY!)

Have you installed/tried Microsoft Security Essentials also? (Free too)

By the way, That PCTool your using (I use it myself) lists where the actual virus files are, if you click on the "+" sign and look at the listed locations.
    Why not go in manually and delete them?

Remember to back-up important info/documents, etc before doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

Malwarebyte is the one to use. Could be that the free-version of any of the virus checkers you used planted this message. Whatever - malwarebytes should be able to clean up the disk.

• Advertisement

Thank you both for your help.

I do have Malwarebytes Anti-malware already installed, I used it to scan the other day and it detected some viruses and it quarantined them, I am doing another scan now.

I don't have (and have never tried) Microsoft Security Essentials, do you know where I can download it please?

I didn't know that about PCTOOLS, should I use it to scan now (while Malwarebytes Anti-malware is running a scan) to find the infected files and delete them or should I wait until Malwarebytes Anti-malware is finished scanning and then use PCTOOLS to scan and then remove the infected files?

MSE - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I'd wait till one finished a scan and does its complete job of removal.
    You don't want two apps conflicting over a same dodgy file and possibly while struggling with it at the same time, hanging/crashing the operation system and/or the removal tools themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Biggins wrote: »
    DO NOT DO THE ABOVE!!!

Disabling all will knock everything off from possible basic keyboard/mouse commands, to sound and graphics being effected severely.

Eh no it wont.... it will only affect programmes running, not the drivers the hardware uses

cgarrad wrote: »
    Eh no it wont.... it will only affect programmes running, not the drivers the hardware uses

Necessary files related to sound, graphic cards and input devices are listed in Msconfig alone, besides others.
    It would be completely stupid to go blankly in and right away disabling all.

All the programmes listed and then running from start-up via msconfig get their executions orders direct from Msconfig.

Selective disabling is a much better way - WHEN the user ABSOLUTELY knows what they are doing.

A blank "disable all" is madness and can lead to a possible lockout completely or partially!
    Where the hell did you learn your I.T. training!

There is no guarantee also that the files effected are even resident with their execute commands, in the Msconfig section!
    So blankly suggesting automatically disabling all the listed services without further investigation is just madness for a number of very good reasons.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and it said there was no infected files. I then ran a scan with PCTOOLS and it says there are infected files.

Here is a screen cap of PCTOOLS, I don't have a screen-cap of Malwarebytes Anti-malware as I forgot to make one, sorry.

untitled1-1.jpg

I am trying to locate the files on my pc, but I don't know how to. I used the search function, it didn't find them. How do I find them?

• Advertisement

First of all you need to go into any advanced options of your search tool and make sure "system files" are searchable. This might mean ticking a box that makes them visible.
    System files are usually now attributed/made as hidden.

This is perhaps why you cannot find them. Some virus files are saved as .dll files (or faked similar system files) and are stored in the c:\windows\system32 directory for example.

Of any open window, under "Tools" and then "Folder Options" then in the "View" Tab, you will find the ability to render system files re-viewable.

Reading either used scanning tools, and possible reading a location then for the files they mention, its a case of then going in and deleting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

1: download avira free antivirus
    2: disconnect from the internet.
    3: uninstall spyware doctor.
    4: install avira.
    5: reconnect to internet.
    6: update avira.

Now, download ad-aware
    http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
    install and update.

Run both - one after the other, not simultaneously.

Advertisement