Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop won't connect to wireless - any suggestions

Options
  • 27-10-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

I can't get a laptop to connect to my wireless network at home.
    It can see the network.

Another laptop and ipod touch have no problems connecting.

I've tried to delete the wireless network adapter via Control Panel/Hardware hoping that when i rebooted it would reinstall and connect successfully.

It reinstalled itself but still can't get connected any suggestions about what else to try?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i had a simular problem last week, I ended up reinstalling windows. Could detect loads of networks, but refused to connect

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

lion_bar wrote: »
    Hi,

I can't get a laptop to connect to my wireless network at home.
    It can see the network.

Another laptop and ipod touch have no problems connecting.

I've tried to delete the wireless network adapter via Control Panel/Hardware hoping that when i rebooted it would reinstall and connect successfully.

It reinstalled itself but still can't get connected any suggestions about what else to try?

Thanks

Is the lsptop clean?
    Did u try update the driver fir the wireless card?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

if it can see the network then the wireless card is working, i am guessign you are using win vista/7

delete the wireless profile then connect again, it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It's vista alright. How do i delete the wireless profile?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

go to network and sharing center, you have the option says manage wireless connection, remove the existing one and then connect to the wireless again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I've seen WIFI profiles go stale and best practice is to delete them and start from scratch.

Out of interest, can you connect to other WIFI networks in a college/cafe/friend's house etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i started the same thread a few days ago.if you find my thread you will see the suggestions made by leixlip computers.it solved the problem for me.thread is called toshiba wont connect to wi fi.its in the laptops section.

sorry i dont know how to set link.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Thanks everyone.

I re-installed Norton and magically i can now connect to the internet again.

Advertisement