Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tighten the exterior door

• 27-10-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Can somebody tell me how to tighten an exterior door please? The door is a few years old and starts to let draft in. It has that kind of knob which has to be turned before you lock it. I believe that the knob turning exercise moves a couple of bolts into locking position along the door jamb in addition to the main lock. I removed the door from its hinges once and reinstalled it. It didn't work. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Without seeing the door itself, you might not be able to tighten it. I have seen this happen to these door and the only solution was a brass and rubber draft seal around the outside of the door. Sorted the draft perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

is it pvc? is the door squared - when shut can you see its dropped at the top? is it draughty when shut or when locked. is all the cams making good contact with the receivers? there should be adjustment screws on the latch receiver which will take the rattle out if when shut. could be many reasons for draught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭nhg

The rubber seals may need to be replaced, probable just needs to be serviced.

People service their cars but windows and doors could do with a maintenance service every few years to prolong their lifespan, alot of it can be done diy, clean friction hinges on windows and spray with a silicone spray preferably or wd40 if you have nothing else, same with the locking menchanism on windows and doors, handles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

Thanks for the tips. I remember the door was tightened once by the company which installed it. It is somehow loosened again after a couple of years. I think the guy who tighten it did something along the jamb as far as I can remember. I also think there are a couple of movable bolts alike things on the edge of the door facing the jamb. I just wonder if it is possible to do it myself, possibly using a plier or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Do you have these type of dogs on your door?

doordog.jpg
    doordog2.jpg
    doordog3.jpg

• Advertisement

Very similar I think. There are three of them. One is above the lock and the other two blow the lock. If you turn the door knob, they will move in the groove.

It's a PVC door frame I think.

get an allen key that fits in the middle of the cam catch in the pic.

Note the little line stamped on it.

When you turn the screw you will notice that it is eccentric (moves off center like the crank shaft of an engine) They will not turn like a normal screw.

This it where you can adjust how tight the door pulls closed. Its hard to explain but will become very obvious when you turn them.

Move the cam closer to the door and it tightens to the frame and vice versa.

If you are at max tightness already then you may need new seals

Thanks very much there. I'll try to do it over the weekend, but I don't think I fully understand what you mean until I put my hands on it. I may have to come back later for help. Thanks.

I have another question. Is it possible to lower the door? I suppose that adusting those dogs can only tighten the door sideways? Thanks.

• Advertisement

caoty wrote: »
    I have another question. Is it possible to lower the door? I suppose that adusting those dogs can only tighten the door sideways? Thanks.

imm thats a bit more tricky.

It really depends on the door.

I cant see how the door would have lifted through wear and tear. It would have been the opposite .
    If you have a gap under the door , at first impression I would say that something is broken or very badly worn either on the weather bar(the part of aluminum or plastic that is stuck to the ground under the door) or the door itself.

If a door like that is closing and locking smoothly it is where it needs to be in the frame. If one adjusts it to much the little cams in the pictures will not locate in the frame properly.

If you look at the hinges on the door ,
    you may find a 3 or 4mm allen screw which can be used to adjust the door. If you do go at them. Use a quality allen key and clean out the head of the allen bolt for proper insertion of the tool. They are cheap and soft screws and have a tendency to ring out when stiff . wd40 helps get then moving

Thanks. The reason for lowering it is that the door was lifted a bit intentionally when it was installed because there was a door mat inside. (the door wouldn't open properly otherwise) Now the mat is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Does anyone know where I would get the red tool in the attachment. Image on cover and also on page 11. It's for tightening the compression on a 3D flag hinge.

An allen key will not turn, and I think I have rung it out - the nut is plastic. I'm sure the top hinge is not fully compressed.

Door is warping in the sun during the day, compressing seals, then settling back in the evening, and leaving itself just away from the outer gasket on upper hinge side. The inner seal keeps the air out, and I can sometimes decompress the outer seal, by rubbing it with a cloth, but it's a pain, and the noise insulation is significantly reduced.

The door opens in. It's a pvc composite. Door faces south, and is burgundy in colour. On a sunny day the seals are impressively tight, when the door is very hot to touch. Frame is white and doesn't seem to warp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The plastic piece that the key turns can some times be knocked out if you take the flag hinge off the door first. You can then replace it after turning it a bit.

Advertisement