Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

ducato vs transit

• 27-10-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi , i am looking at new vans , well newer vans . Any comments on what people think is better , front wheel drive ducato or transit which i think is rear wheel drive , which is better in general...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

DVD2009 wrote: »
    Hi , i am looking at new vans , well newer vans . Any comments on what people think is better , front wheel drive ducato or transit which i think is rear wheel drive , which is better in general...?

Ducato by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

A front wheel drive will have a lower center of gravity than a rear wheel drive van, as there is no drive shaft to travel down the van. I drive a 01 transit for work and while its a good van, it is a bit shook at this stage..... not sure about the newer models

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

prefer the new model transit: cheaper parts/servicing rwd better with twin wheels for muddy fields and less roll in corners. 140 - 200 bhp engines available. new ducato nice to drive but has a fair few problems/issues. have a renault master as a van and very good all round, as an alternative..just my tuppence worth, good luck whatever your choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

What problems are new Ducatos having? I work on them on MHs almost every day , and see no issues really . they did have clutch judder issues in 2007 models , and a problem with water leaking onto the engine , both of which are long solved .

Also they have a cracking 2.3 130bhp , and a stormer of a 3.0 160 , not to say a miser of a 2.2 100bhp.

And they certainly don't suffer with roll , big Anti roll bars , front and rear .

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

the clutch judder issue in reverse is well known, dont think fiat have resolved this, and a mate runs them as courier vans (harder life i'll agree!) but gearboxes have been breaking:mad:....whilst pleasant to drive with very good engines i felt it was a bit 'rolly-polly' compared to the twin wheel transit. not as bad as mercs though some of those merc-hymers drive like boats imo!:rolleyes: residual values for most commercial vans are poor, but fiats seem to be worst hit come sell on time.: i practically gave mine away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

There's a new type of clutch and a completey different gearbox rear mount in the 2009 on models compared to the 2007s .

I personally find the Twin Wheel tranny only a better machine with a big loa up , but horses for courses. You're right about the Merc Hymers.... and even worse, are the Merc Rimors.... You'd need sea-sickness tablets on a bumpy road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

fatbast wrote: »
    the clutch judder issue in reverse is well known, dont think fiat have resolved this, and a mate runs them as courier vans (harder life i'll agree!) but gearboxes have been breaking:mad:....whilst pleasant to drive with very good engines i felt it was a bit 'rolly-polly' compared to the twin wheel transit. not as bad as mercs though some of those merc-hymers drive like boats imo!:rolleyes: residual values for most commercial vans are poor, but fiats seem to be worst hit come sell on time.: i practically gave mine away

That clutch judder is def there But most noticeably on vans near or over 3.5 tonnes, I have 500 or so kgs payload and not a bother that old fashioned clutch and accellerator control cant overcome easily. Easy on the juice if you try and a cracker to go if you want.

Advertisement