Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college question

• 27-10-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

hey all,
    just got a question for yous.
    if you do one course for the year 2011 but decide its not for you and decide to do another course for 2012, do you have to pay for the entire course for 2010, unlike the 2011 course where you would only have to pay the registration fees.
    thanks all in advance.
    d.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

If you do one year of a course, and do another course of the same level, you have to pay full fees for the first year of the new course only, and you will be eligible for free fees for the remaining years.

EDIT: providing the government doesn't introduce full fees for everyone by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

jubella wrote: »
    If you do one year of a course, and do another course of the same level, you have to pay full fees for the first year of the new course only, and you will be eligible for free fees for the remaining years.

EDIT: providing the government doesn't introduce full fees for everyone by then!
    You don't get any grants either:rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    You don't get any grants either:rolleyes:

I know, it sucks. That's the situation I'm in this year. No grant & full fees :(
    OP, I'd definitely recommend thinking about what course ya wanna do very carefully. Don't drop out if you can help it, it's so much hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Dropping out is the worst thing you could possibly do at this stage for financial reasons. Take your course choice REALLY seriously. It's more important than your retardéd careers teacher could ever possibly imagine. The way the CAO works it's like you're buying something from argos with the points you get. You're stuck there for four years so make sure you pick properly.

Also I'm pretty sure if you drop out you have to pay full fees for the full four years following, but I could stand corrected.

Also I'm pretty sure if you drop out you have to pay full fees for the full four years following, but I could stand corrected.

That's definitely not true. The government will pay for each year level of a certain level course once. So if you complete one year in one course, and start a new course after that you only have to pay for the first year. If you complete two years in the first course, you will have to pay for two years in the new course.
    Also if you drop out before a certain date (think it might be January some time) then you are only required to pay half the fees for the year in the new course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Drop out before november and you wont have to pay ful fees next year, just the normal ones like everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Liveit wrote: »
    Drop out before november and you wont have to pay ful fees next year, just the normal ones like everyone else
    That varies with each college. I know in TCD, it's the start of October sometime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The way things are now it's quite likely that some form of 'proper' university fees will be introduced by the time next year's freshers graduate. That said, registration fees are set to rise to €3000... 3rd level education could soon be a privilege of higher class families again.

Advertisement