Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring phone sockets.

• 27-10-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain this phone socket to me?

My socket looks like this:
    http://bogpeople.com/blog/images/eircom_master_socket/eircom_master_socket-photo_big.jpg

I have a few questions:

1. What terminals do the connections from Eircom go to?
    2. What terminals do I use to wire extension phone sockets?
    3. How to I wire more than one extension?

I'm pretty good at electrical wiring but I've never done anything with phones so I'd appreciate if someone would explain them to me

Also, how dangerous is the line voltage on telephone lines? I imagine it increases when an incoming call is present?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Try the Electrical or the DIY forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ist

Analogue phone systems are pretty bog basic.

You only need 1 pair of cables (2 wires) and the are usualy red and green. No matter what the connector you are using they will always be the the middle two pins.

If you want to add more sockets simply just buy another phone socket (even a cat5 jack will do) and wire it into the middle two pins on the connector and then run the two wires back to the existing connector you have and wire them into the middle two connectors as well. You can pick up additional phone sockets in most hardware stores

You dont really even have to worry about getting the wires back the front. 99% of the time it will just work

There is a voltage on the line as you said and it can shock you sometimes but its not bad at all. You can easily hold the line in your hand with bare wire exposed. Avoid it if possible and avoid having two bare wires in your hands at the same time just to be safe

Advertisement