Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back in the saddle?

• 27-10-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Following on from the thread about the WW200 being on telly got me thinking. I'd like to get back in the saddle again after a long break. I used to be handy enough on a bike, raced for a few seasons and did the first 6 or 7 Maracycles (Dublin - Belfast) and did the 200 once. I started 10 minutes late and rode up to the front group on the Wicklow Gap only for my chain to fall off when I went down to the 24 sprocket to save the legs and never saw the leaders again.

Anyway I'm 51, currently 19st, down from 21.5st in the last 6 months. I walk 5km a day and am standing walking 6 -7 hours a day in work. I figure I'd need to drop another 4 stone to get over the hills (no problem going down them). It's 20 km to work with a half decent climb on the way and could do longer spins depending on my start time.

My target would be the 2011 Wicklow 200.

Am I mad to even consider it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

go for it....get the training in....& is it really being televised

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

trad wrote: »
    My target would be the 2011 Wicklow 200.

Am I mad to even consider it?
    No:D

I did it last year, aged 48, having dropped from just under 20 stone to just under 16 (and I'm quite a bit lighter still now). It was 3 weeks after a knee cartilage operation. I had only done any semi-serious cycling over the previous 6 months or so, and that was simply my 23km (each way) commute

You have the benefit of having cycled before, and should be able to regain fitness more readily than I could, as I had never done any serious cycling previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

My money says you wont be the oldest or the slowest there. If you used cycle and race then you know what it takes, and how enjoyable it is. Go for it! Keep us posted on your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Beasty, what bike did you use and what equipment failures did you suffer? Most bikes are made for larger types.

Also where to get man size clothing, I'm a long time out of touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Never too late Trad, being over 50 is young...!!

I raced when younger, and played at it on and off until the last 2 years - I was 16 stone (5'10") and I'm 48. I dropped 2 stone last winter, and am following the same plan, will take another stone off this winter at least. I'm 47 and feel fitter than I have for 20 years.

I'll be doing long steady rides of 3hrs +, keeping the heart rate fairly low (easier said than done when you're starting back) spinning low gears. combine that with sensible eating and cutting the crap out (beer, wine, crisps, chips, chocolate) and the weight will fall off you.

If I was you I wouldn't do that straight off, I would just build it up gently and gradually with steady spins, high cadence, nothing too demanding at first. You cycled before, it won't be long until you get the buzz back and the bug bites ya!

chain reaction cycling and wiggle are decent websites for gear, in terms of shops there are lads on here who could advise you better on local shops than me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

trad wrote: »
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Beasty, what bike did you use and what equipment failures did you suffer? Most bikes are made for larger types.

Also where to get man size clothing, I'm a long time out of touch.
    I actually did the WW200 on a hybrid, but moved to a road bike (Focus Cayo) virtually straight after. Most bikes should cater for cyclists of your weight

In terms of equipment failures, I did actually break a spoke about 40km into the WW200, but still got around the full course without further incident. I've had a couple of problems with my bikes recently, but nothing major.

With regard to clothing, if you can afford it, go for Assos - I started with their TIR shorts, but quickly moved on to XLG, and am now comfortable in their XLs - only problem is it never seems to wear our, so I end up simply increasing the wardrobe (the only Assos gear I have "retired" has been due to crashes):)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

My money says you wont be the oldest or the slowest there. If you used cycle and race then you know what it takes, and how enjoyable it is. Go for it! Keep us posted on your progress.

Definately as Joff and myself will be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnangall

You will just love http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ and http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ no better way of passing an hour or if i'm honest the last 4 months!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm 51, started back in 2006, used to do a bit of racing in the early '80's. Did a few Wicklow 200's since and the 2006 Wicklow 200 after 3/4 months. Did the Wicklow 200 in 83/84. Have the certs :D
    Race with Beasty in the Vets now and hoping to do a 200 this weekend.
    You'll have no probs. ;)
    Get up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

............fancy a lie in though. Got new down n feather pillows.........

• Advertisement

Can't imagine doing the Ww on a hybrid. I had a trek road bike which I sold about 2 years ago when I figured I had hung up my cleats for good. Had it for over a year and only used it about 4 times. I'll start looking in adverts .ie for a 54 cm road bike and see what turns up. It'll be a while before I join ye for a spin.

Well here goes, bough this http://www.adverts.ie/310781/bikes/carrera-subway-2-bicycle-in-as-new-condition-20-frame/
    bike in as new condition. I busted the front mech lever the first time I used it (combination of it being out of adjustment and me being over enthusiastic). Replaced lever, pumped tyres and adjusted saddle and off I went.
    First spin about 40 mins, rolling road, impressed by the gearing, got home legs ok, lungs ok, saddle area ok.

Second spin headed for Dalkey. ran out of legs and lungs going past Bono's house, still had gears left. Was going up same road later in car and had to use 2nd geear so it's probably steeper than I thought.

Wasn't planning on buying a hybrid but at the price (€200) it's disposable if I break it. It'll do until I loose a bit of bulk and they I might appreciate a road bike. I've 10 days off come friday so I'd hope to gwt out every day weather and wife permitting (she's off too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Just so you dont worry about putting weight on your bike... I bought my Trek 1.5 at the start of the summer at 23 stone and im still now cycling it now almost 6 months later without issue.

Had it out probably 5 out of 7 days a week(maybe more on average) never doing less than 30k, did the Etape Hibernia, Sean Kelly and a few others without any problems at all. Road bikes are WAY WAY stronger than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CHIPPY1979

Well I'm 39 and hitting the big 40 next year. Was nearly 19 stone 4 months ago and now down to 16st10lbs as of this morning. I signed up to do the Etape (Alpe d'Huez stage) next July and this is my motovation. Imust say I'm really enjoying myself having gotten back on the bike. Even out last Saturday morning in the cold and driving rain doing 50k no problem.

Go for it, it will do you the world of good both physically and mentally. All I have to do is loose another 2 stone at least and get mentally and physically ready for those god dam mountains.

Advertisement