Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

federal .223 rounds

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

can anybody tell me where i can get federal 55gr v-shok in tipp or kilkenny, i like to give them a go. federal were always cheaper than hornady for the 17hmr, so i'm hoping they will be for the 223
    also has anybody any experience of them, how accurate are they in general compared to hornady

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I've used fed. 40gr bt in my 223 and found them great.

IMG_0158.jpg

group on left top Fed 40 gr BT, group on right American eagle 50gr HP.

they were €28 per 20 from J mc Bride.

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Havent a clue mate but if cost is the issue Paul O'Halloran has Russian wolf brand .223 rounds for 10yoyo's for 20. Cheap as chips.

Tried the wolf and found them useless in my rifle. 90% of guns will group american eagle and their only €11.50 per 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

came across american eagle 50 gr. FMJ boat-tail
    good for targets
    20 for 9.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

endasmail wrote: »
    came across american eagle 50 gr. FMJ boat-tail
    good for targets
    20 for 9.99

No good for hunting though.
    Declan, If you are stuck I have a couple of boxes of Hornady

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

No good for hunting though.
    Declan, If you are stuck I have a couple of boxes of Hornady

thanks tack, but i'm not stuck at all, i've got about 30 rounds of hornady, and sean in stakelums has loads more in stock
    i was just thinking of trying some other brands to see if i got any better groups, the nosler ballistic tips in the federals have a slightly higher bc .266 compared to harnady v-max .255
    i might try some hornady 50 gr v-max as well, for a slightly flatter shooting round, hopefully they'll shoot ok in the 1:8 twist in the supervarmint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

the federel v shok 55 gr are brilliant
    i use them or 55gr hornady vmax on fox
    they group tightly out of my tikka tactical 1:8 twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

endasmail wrote: »
    the federel v shok 55 gr are brilliant
    i use them or 55gr hornady vmax on fox
    they group tightly out of my tikka tactical 1:8 twist

i'm using the hornady's for foxes too, but i'm always looking for a more accurate round.
    there's no such thing as "too accurate"

I found the Fed's grouped better than the Hornady in my CZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

55grain Hornady, hard to bate them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Your best bet is probably a ring around to dealers in your area - if you haven't done this already.

I've tried to 40g Federal Premium and found them very good albeit not cheap. Seems hard to get a consistent supply of Federal Premium anywhere though, I've been trying for a long time to get some in .308 but without success.

Have you tried American Eagle? The 50g hollow point are remarkably accurate in my rifle out to 200m and they can be got for around E10 a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

declan1980 wrote: »
    i'm using the hornady's for foxes too, but i'm always looking for a more accurate round.
    there's no such thing as "too accurate"

Hi Declan. I have tested 55gr federal v-shock ,55gr sako gamehead and 55gr hornady v-max. They all performed equally well but I think the v-max had the edge. I tested them on 100 to 500 yards.

I recently picked up a couple of boxes of 50gr Norma BT's and I am finding them quiet good so far for hunting. I have yet to test them on paper to give a comparison to the v-max.

As it happens it is a hornady bullet in the Norma round.

I find the tikka tactical I able to fire most rounds you put threw it. But they do Very well with the 75gr hornady BTHP match.

The worst round I tested was the (can't remember if it was 64gr or 69gr) Winchester. Some of them even misfired. By that I mean didn't fire when shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

Havent a clue mate but if cost is the issue Paul O'Halloran has Russian wolf brand .223 rounds for 10yoyo's for 20. Cheap as chips.
    tried those wolf rounds in my rem 700 and they wouldnt chamber at all ,couldnt close the bolt at all ,use hornady 55gr vmax now for fox and american eagle for practise

ian

Advertisement