Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuner keeps losing it's signal

• 27-10-2010 9:41pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My SkyHD box is constantly losing it's signal on one or the other of it's tuners. Mainly the second one but the odd time the first one will go. It leads to a lot of failed recordings. Plugging the box out and restarting fixes it but not for long. Any ideas what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

sounds like one of the cables is loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

is it a thomson by any chance?

some info here

I upgraded my power supply 2 years ago not had a problem since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

antocann wrote: »
    sounds like one of the cables is loose

Gimme some credit :-) One of the first things I checked and double checked. Definitely not a loose cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

LFCFan wrote: »
    Gimme some credit :-) One of the first things I checked and double checked. Definitely not a loose cable.

Have you checked the cable for breaks and kinks in the run? A classic is a cable that is draped over a slate roof and it forms a break where it rubs on the slates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

snaps wrote: »
    Have you checked the cable for breaks and kinks in the run? A classic is a cable that is draped over a slate roof and it forms a break where it rubs on the slates.

It's a new build house and the cabling is all internal all the way to the dish. Never had any issues for the first year and a half and it's been getting gradually worse. I reckon it probably is a PSU issue. My brother recently got in SkyHD and the box is smaller and faster than ours. Might look at just upgrading. Sick of the slowness of our box too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Yeah, it's the Thompson's PSU, same thing happened to me with missed recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Yes, almost certainly the PSU.

My box was missing half the channels, then it stopped working for all channels. I called Sky and went straight through to cancellations, as I explained to the nice lady at the Cork call centre I wasn't bothered going through the charade of being told it would be a €100+ callout fee, threatening to cancel and then getting to them... And she was indeed very nice about it, as I was very polite.

Free callout, with a replacement box, which should hopefully happen tomorrow. I guess it's possible (likely?) it will be a refurbishment but for free I'm not sure I can complain about that. Also I assume it will be the 500/250Gb box and not the 1.5/1Tb model. Maybe I could have got that for approx €200 but I can't really justify it, especially as I'm considering switching to some sort of freesat/dtt combo solution anyhow.

Ix.

Advertisement