Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boreen / L-Road avoidance on Garmin GPS

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 250 for over 2 years now. While it's been great, my only quibble with it is its desire to take me down boreens or L-roads (e.g. L1234). I don't particularly enjoy driving these roads and find the time savings non-existent, compared to staying on R-roads or higher.

The only avoidance I can set it for unpaved roads, which I don't think is going to make any difference.

Any tips for avoiding these types of roads? Thinking of upgrading to a newer unit (would like to stay with Garmin), any features in the new units to deal with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you selecting shortest route?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

No, have it on Faster Time. I presumed the Shortest Route would completely ignore the type of road at the cost of the shortest distance between two points.

For instance, the old N8 to cork is probably "shorter" than the new motorway, but you wouldn't want to be sent that way!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Strange.
    What otoptions are available on that device for route profiles.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Have you installed new maps on the device? The reason I ask is because the last time I installed new maps I decided to play around with the speed limits gamin assigns to each type of road and because of this it sent me down L roads a lot more often.

Advertisement