Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urban and Mountain Bike - in one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Ah but for a mere 100€ more you could have this
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/16281/Ridgeback_Quest_29Inch_Bike_2008
    As regards the Carrera, I can't see anyone paying 600€+ for it. The only thing it has for something in that bracket is Hydraulic brakes, the dart 1 fork is ok but no lockout which means climbing will be hard, unbranded wheels and no name tyres, can't make out the thread pattern but does look worst of both worlds.
    The Ridgeback it's not a real mountainbike but more a canal bank type thing a few cheap parts but you can replace these when they wear out, the forks are meant to be good though.:)

I wouldn't pay 600 for it but it might be worth 360...
    I've heard that some Halford's branches are better than others - any recommendations on which ones are good and which to avoid....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

I would forget about buying from halfords, you should go down to your local bike shop and ask them about what you want. Where are you based? You should maybe look at getting cube aim also a specialized rockhopper is very nice bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

If you're prepared to swap between slick tyres for the road and a proper mtb tyre for the trails then a hardtail mtb with a reasonable fork with lockout is a very good compromise and will be fine on the road.
    Very good value for "real" mountain bikes can be found on www.merlincycles.co.uk - check out what builds or offers they have on their Malt 1 frame.
    As regards brakes, you'd be fine with v-brakes for occasional Ballinastoe type trail riding and you certainly don't need discs on the road.

Advertisement