Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guilt of going away

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I'm thinking of going away for a week on Dec 27th but I find it extremely difficult leaving my dog in boarding kennels. I've had her 6 years now and have only been away from her for 4 nights 2 years ago and thats it. Every other holiday has been down the country in pet friendly accommodation.

I'd actually love the holiday and I need it badly but I just feel awful at the thoughts of making her unhappy in kennels. The last time she apparently didn't move from her bed for the 4 nights and shes normally very active with me.

And also i'm not even sure that any kennels are open at that time of the year...are they ?? My devotion to her can be a bit confining at times.

I'm just wondering does anyone else struggle with this issue each year......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

My dogs used to be like that in their previous kennels... and I used to feel awful about it.
    But since we've changed they love it. they have a big hello for the owners and go straight into their kennel without a bother at all.

Have you the option of leaving her in a different kennels? Or when you leave her into the kennels if you leave an old jumper that you've been wearing (not washed) with her so that she'll have your scent?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

i too suffer from guilt when i leave my doggie ....

but our doggies are going to be with us all going well for 14 years maybe more and we cant go without a break away in all that lenght of time ...

i would look into a different boarding kennel and prehaps a trial night or two before you go ....

i was away a week during summer and got regular emails as to how he was in the kennel and he was happy as larry when i got home ... lay down for a belly scratch from the lady that looked after him before jumping into car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

shelly_g wrote: »
    i was away a week during summer and got regular emails as to how he was in the kennel and he was happy as larry when i got home ... lay down for a belly scratch from the lady that looked after him before jumping into car ;)

where did you leave your dog? when i did leave her in kennels that one time, I rang the place everyday to check in and i think they became so sick of me so it would be great to get the emails.

I did leave a few blankets that i'd slept with so that she'd have my scent and i even got her a DAP collar but she was still very distressed and not herself at all when i picked her up. Shes just used to lots of attention and cushions and stuff.

I use Happy Hounds

http://www.happyhounds.ie/

IMO they are fantastic ... Real dog lovers ;)

can you leave her with family ....

shelly_g wrote: »
    I use Happy Hounds

http://www.happyhounds.ie/

IMO they are fantastic ... Real dog lovers ;)

can you leave her with family ....

great stuff...I'll check them out.

re the family.....not dog lovers so no help to me at all

• Advertisement

MissyN wrote: »
    great stuff...I'll check them out.

re the family.....not dog lovers so no help to me at all

ah i understand ... and in fairness once they are in Kennels at least the are

Safe
    fed as you want them fed .. i bag each meal individually so no overfeedling or underfeeding

leaving you to enjoy your break as they enjoy theirs ;)

give Kay a call im sure she will be very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Where ever you send your dog go have a look and bring your dog with you to meet the people who will be caring for them,If they have a prob with that then I wouldnt leave my dog with them:)Dont settle for anything you dont feel 100 % about.Kennels/minders dont have to be stressful and lonely for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

you could try this website http://mindmypet.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

find the BEST kennel and take a holiday!

once he/she's watered fed walked etc that's the basic needs looked after but try to find a kennel where you can meet staff. see if they're genuinely dog lovers who'll give your dog a cuddle and just play with them

of course he'll miss you but leave his favourite toys and something with your scent

you don't want to end up resenting your dog because you can't take a hol
    and you'll be sooo happy to see each other when you get home!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OH and I are off on the 7th for a few days. Luckily a friend they know is going to take R&T, but I'm still worried about leaving them. Gods only know what I'll be like when I have kids if I can't leave the dogs for 4 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

You could try home boarding instead of kennels. My dog goes to stay with a lady in her house for the week when I go away and it's much easier to leave her when I know she's snuggled up in a warm kitchen with a few other dogs. She has so much fun that she gets depressed having to come home with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

i couldn't leave my dogs at the kennel. So that meant my husband couldn't come to America with us last year. Jeeez. So guess what? I now board dogs in my home, only up to three, and only small to medium sized. how come there aren't more of us? i love dogs! One of my dog is an amputee and the other a pampered king charles who sleeps on my collarbone when i'm on the computer. anyway, i'm in Galway. Again, why aren't there more of us. We cost the same price as a kennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

MissyN wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going away for a week on Dec 27th but I find it extremely difficult leaving my dog in boarding kennels. I've had her 6 years now and have only been away from her for 4 nights 2 years ago and thats it. Every other holiday has been down the country in pet friendly accommodation.

I'd actually love the holiday and I need it badly but I just feel awful at the thoughts of making her unhappy in kennels. The last time she apparently didn't move from her bed for the 4 nights and shes normally very active with me.

And also i'm not even sure that any kennels are open at that time of the year...are they ?? My devotion to her can be a bit confining at times.

I'm just wondering does anyone else struggle with this issue each year......

If it helps, I board doggies in my home here in Galway. Small to medium sized only though. And just a few at a time. my website won't be up again until next week. but i can be reached at 0868951909

Speedy44 wrote: »
    If it helps, I board doggies in my home here in Galway. Small to medium sized only though. And just a few at a time. my website won't be up again until next week. but i can be reached at 0868951909

I'm actually living in Dublin but thanks so much for the offer of your services.

I've received a couple of PM's from people who board in their homes so I might give that a shot. I'd say my dog would prefer that if I do decide to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

I can't stress enough how important it is (in my opinion) to leave your dog for two nights in the kennel or wherever it is you will be leaving him for a longer period. Dogs have no way of knowing what is happening when they are left, they judge things by what has happened before. So when they are in a new place they have no idea what is going to happen, they don't know if you are coming back and the only way of showing them is for it to happen. One night is probably not enough for them to settle (but is better than nothing), but after the second night when you collect them they know that yes they go to this place but then you come back and collect them so it's not forever. It means that the next time they go to this place they are secure and can relax cause they know you are coming back. I've had the same thing when moving house etc and have worked in a kennels and seen it a lot. Oh and never leave your dog anywhere you have a bad feeling about, I've never minded people phoning to check on their dogs, no good kennel would I don't think.

Advertisement