Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of International Rules

Options
  • 27-10-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Does the game have a future, do you think the games should go ahead or should they be scrapped altogether? Personally, I think neither side have that much interest and the sport does neither game any good, therefore I voted "Yes".

Should the International Rules sport be scrapped 52 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    38% 20 votes
    Not Sure
    61% 32 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Does the game have a future, do you think the games should go ahead or should they be scrapped altogether? Personally, I think neither side have that much interest and do no good to any game, therefore I voted "Yes".
    I think the game should have been scrapped a number of years ago,it's of no benefit to either team IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Didnt vote as dont care whether its scrapped or not,no option for me to choose this.

Anyway,like most things If the money men back the series then it will continue,but low TV viewing figures followed by poor attendances will spell the end for the game as advertisers will look elsewhere to throw money at.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

Have a look at www.worldfootynews.com,and scroll down the opening page and judge for yourself whether they'd lose out if the mixed rules were to to be stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

hogflem wrote: »
    Have a look at www.worldfootynews.com,and scroll down the opening page and judge for yourself whether they'd lose out if the mixed rules were to to be stopped!
    It's only ONE man's opinion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think the players are in favour of it tbh, and I would be as well for that reason. Look at it from their point of view, they have an opportunity to play for their country and every two years they get to go on a trip to Australia :p Look at the support they have in comparision to the shinty game, the hurling equivalent that basically very few know is on this weekend.

the game is cleaner, but the biggest thing I think is the difference in the football, the one used in the rules series is lighter, as far as I know its a size 4 as well.

• Advertisement

Didnt vote as dont care whether its scrapped or not,no option for me to choose this.
    Well there's not much point putting in an option of don't care because if a person doesn't care about it they shouldn't even go into the thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

You might want to wait until the series is actually over this year before you sart jumping to conclusions about its success.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Speaking as an AFL fan in Australia, the nation is pretty much split on whether it should be canned or not. A lot of the opinions centre around the Irish being soft and a bunch of whingers, and the hybrid is basically a horrible bastardisation of the great Aussie game.

I don't necessarily subscribe to those theories, but the whole thing looks a bit soft given the first test. Looked like both sides had been told to watch themselves and the only sniff of a bit of action came towards the end when Brendan Murphy (I think it was) tried to push Sam Gilbert off a mark. Gilbert didn't know whether to hit him or move away and in the end just stood there.

I know the players both love having an opportunity to represent their country as it's the only chance they get, but if the first game sets the tone for the future then bin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

The game is finished. The rules have been tinkered so far in favour of Ireland and yet after last weeks debacle it shows we're not as good as we think we are.
    We need to promote GAA elsewhere, Britain, continental Europe, and get it going there. We should be looking to get last years All-Ireland hurling final shown in as many countries as possible, in HD, and show what we have.
    I preferred when there was a bit of roughness in the game - perhaps we need to look at some of rugby players taking part who can well handle the physical play.
    I thought I'd never say this but I'm starting to agree with Mickey Harte :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the folks in charge have managed to remove all intensity out of the game, players are too frightened to do anything, you can't have a contact sport with no contact, I'm not saying that you've to go back to the free for all of a few years back but there has to be a happy medium, to me it's too stop start at the moment, it needs to be speeded up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Every GAA fan I ask says they think it should be stopped. My aussie friends don't even care it exists and seems that only the minority of Irish fans are keeping it alive.

A ton of the better players are playing club finals at this stage anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Irish people going to the matches in Australia and the fact that the first test is played regionally in Ireland helps numbers, if it really wants to be an international spectacle they'll have to refine the rules a bit more, either that or keep it as the challenge match it is now.

Personally I would have it every 2 years with the all star teams from the previous 2 years selected along with 5 managers picks.
    Bring back contact, they are grown men, let them play :)
    Suspensions in the other code isn't good enough, try fines, or removing their all stars, or expenses, something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sideofbacon

To be fair,of course the players are in favour of it.....sure isnt it a free holiday to Australia next time around.Any Inter County player will tell you that!Get yourself on the panel this year try cement your place and Bob's your Uncle you'l be in Melbourne next year!!:cool:

If I was to be a marketing person I would be having the games in neutral countries each year, there are plenty of ex-pats/sports nuts around the place to sell out 50,000 stadiums, it would also increase the whole "international" feel to it, have it over a 4 week period but only have the main teams in for the 2 games over the last 2 Saturdays, get some underage games going as well.

baztard wrote: »
    You might want to wait until the series is actually over this year before you sart jumping to conclusions about its success.
    It doesn't matter to me if the game next Saturday is entertaining or not, it does nothing for either game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

It doesn't matter to me if the game next Saturday is entertaining or not, it does nothing for either game

i hate this argument it does nothing for either game...so what its not supposed to. its 2 games a year where AFL/GAA players get to put on there national jersey and try and combine the 2 games. nothing more nothing less and before and after the 2 games we all forget about it till it comes round again. get over it if people hate it dont bloody watch it or moan about it to people who like it.

Shane10 wrote: »
    i hate this argument it does nothing for either game...so what its not supposed to. its 2 games a year where AFL/GAA players get to put on there national jersey and try and combine the 2 games. nothing more nothing less and before and after the 2 games we all forget about it till it comes round again. get over it if people hate it dont bloody watch it or moan about it to people who like it.
    The fact of the matter is, you can't combine two different sports, I mean you don't see rugby and soccer trying to "compromise" their rules do you?

Actually you do see rugby league and union mix it up from time to time, usually 1 half of each game, but they do try :)

The issue is that you have 2 games with no clear international outlet, most sports do but Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football don't, so they are trying to make a hybrid sport close to each sport.

IMVHO, the reason the game is struggling now is cause the physicality and agression is being taken out of it, I've no doubt that both teams are very geared up to represent their country but the game is being tinkered with too much and now we are being left with a game of touch Aussie Rules with a round ball

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The fact of the matter is, you can't combine two different sports, I mean you don't see rugby and soccer trying to "compromise" their rules do you?

I disagree with you on that, I think the AFL and Gaelic can be combined, we just need to find a happy medium in the physicality stakes

IIRC rugby was invented when Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran instead of passing it with is foot, since those games branched off and became completely independent of each other, so it can't come back together!

Clareman wrote: »
    Actually you do see rugby league and union mix it up from time to time, usually 1 half of each game, but they do try :)l
    I heard of that in the 1990s but haven't heard of it since, but even so, those two sports have a massive amount more in common than Football and Aussie Rules

• Advertisement

I disagree with you on that, I think the AFL and Gaelic can be combined, we just need to find a happy medium in the physicality stakes

IIRC rugby was invented when Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran instead of passing it with is foot, since those games branched off and became completely independent of each other, so it can't come back together!
    I don't really get your point here on they never coming back together, no one said they should or would :confused:.

Anyway, my main point is the differences between soccer and rugby are numerous, as are the differences between Gaelic Football and Aussie Rules, you don't see people looking for a compromised game between the two codes of football as it would be ridiculous. Likewise, it is stupid to make a compromised game of Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football.

Lastly, the story of Webb Ellis picking up a ball and running with it, thus creating the game of rugby cannot be verified;)

I would say that it would be easier to merge Gaelic Football with rugby or soccer easier than it would be to merge soccer and rugby, football has a lot of the same skills as soccer and physicality wouldn't be an issue in rugby :)

To answer the Ops question, should the series be scrapped, no I don't think so because it's an outlet for both codes outside their home countries, but if the question was should it be continued in it's current form, I would say no as it could be so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Well there's not much point putting in an option of don't care because if a person doesn't care about it they shouldn't even go into the thread:rolleyes:
    Well i dont care if its scrapped or not,But guess what,i went to limerick last sat eve and im going to croke park tommo eve with the Mrs.
    I must point out i bought the croke park tickets before the limerick game,other than that,there is no way i would be going due to the poor entertainment ive seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The secret to the Series surviving, which I think it should, is to play it every 2-3 years. Preferably 3.

Look at the Lions tour; if that took place every year it would lose it's appeal as it would become the standard. This is happening to the Series imo. I never really got into it until this year. If it was deemed a special occasion/event to be held every 2-3 years, people would look forward to it a lot more I think.

What is wrong with the play is a complete lack of physicality. As someone said, it was like watching tag Aussie Rules with a round ball.

Address these two issues and the Series would be a great spectacle imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Ireland will tour down under next year then there will be a break of one year.

I would be in favour of having tours ever 2 years, in the years when the soccer world cup and olympics aren't on (although that could conflict with the Rugby WC) but also varying where the games take place, I would encourage playing it in different countries, I'm sure Canada, US, Hong Kong, South Africa would all be able to fill stadiums for 2 match's with ex-pats alone, throw in every 3rd event in 1 of the home countries and you've a nice break for all the players as an incentive to make the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Whats the point in scrapping it? The players who play enjoy it obviously, as they wouldnt play if they weren't bothered. Some of the 50,000 who were in Limerick enjoyed it, and im sure some of the 60-70,000 will enjoy it in Croke Park. Also its another 2 packed houses to add to the GAA/AFL coffers.
    You get to see some stars of the games playing. Bernard Brogans goal the last day was one of the best i've seen in any sport. When else would you get to see a player as good as Adam Goodes playing? Also how great is it for Seán McDermott, Leighton Glynn and the lads from the "lesser" teams to play in front of a crowd like that?
    Yes its not AFL and its not GAA, but to be honest there doesnt seem to be any major downside, besides the fact that some internet whingers say they were bored. Most of them probably went expecting a good punchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

I voted no on this.
    I have little interest in these games but as long as there are a) people who want to play them and b) people who will go to watch them, then why should they be scrapped?

If you don't like the games, don't watch them. But don't go trying to stop other people playing or watching a game they ARE interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 thered

i thinks its a great game looking forward to game on sat night in croker i think just cause the players arent killing each other people find it a bit less exciting,
    but as ill be bringing my 8yrs old son think less of the bloodsports will suit,:D

• Advertisement

Vindicated, another crap game, the sport needs to be scrapped immediately

Advertisement