Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop just died

Options
  • 27-10-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭

I have a xps 1710 and the graphics card just died, from looking around i can see that this card 7950 gxt is prone to this, the laptop is 2-3 years old and i know i can't get this fixed with the same happening again.

This link has most of the information i have found condensed here.

As i can't get it fixed myself what options do i have from dell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

At 2-3 years, possibly none. Take a look at this other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

it's a bitch but you gotta move on. have the removal, bury it, and move on. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

somber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Could try baking the card, couple of people on boards have had success, run a search and you will see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try the nvidia class action website for advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Same thing happened to me recently, i have a xps m1530 and it just died, dell engineers called out three times but where unable to fix it, its been sent to poland now, i was fortunate enough to have gotten a extended warranty.

Try log into dell website if thats how you bought it, it will have your warranty information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Would this not fall under the goods and sale act that you have 6/7 years warranty if they sold/admitted something was wrong/faulty when it was sold?

Remember dell sold Those 26inch LCD tv's which had an a wide spread problem. I had the same Tv which was out of warrany by over a year and I rang them up and quoted that the item should of lasted longer than was intended. Got a 32inch refurbished a week later for my troubles and its still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

got a replacement card, they wanted £400 then £170 for a extended warranty, and kept saying that consumer rights was only 2 years which is not a law but a EU directive i got a result out of the non-applicable 2 years limit as a "good will gesture" it's the same card but i got a fast result and will still be covered whatever they think by the real 6 years if this repair is not permanent.

Advertisement