Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seroendeng

Options
  • 27-10-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seroendeng is a dry fried mixture of peanut, coconut, shallot, garlic and spices. It's originally from Indonesia and used as an accompaniment to rice, to enrich its taste and texture

Anyone familiar with Indonesian cuisine (Alun?) might have had it / heard of it

Anyway, remembered it from my youth and made it today so thought I'd share it here :D

Here's the recipe I used and here's the result - tasty!

seroendeng.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Unkel - The list of spices includes Trassi? What's trassi?

Ah - shrimp paste! Will a thai shrimp paste do?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Minder wrote: »
    Unkel - The list of spices includes Trassi? What's trassi?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that! Trassi is shrimp paste. Widely used in Thai cuisine too and available from any Asian store. It doesn't smell nice but it adds great flavours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

unkel wrote: »
    Seroendeng is a dry fried mixture of peanut, coconut, shallot, garlic and spices. It's originally from Indonesia and used as an accompaniment to rice, to enrich its taste and texture

Anyone familiar with Indonesian cuisine (Alun?) might have had it / heard of it
    Yes, I've both heard of it and had it .. it's a very common accompaniment to a rijsttafel.

@Minder Trasi is a dried shrimp paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another thing I love sprinkled on or mixed through Indonesian rice dishes like Nasi Goreng is what the Dutch call "gebakken uitjes", or finely chopped onions, coated in flour and deep fried until they're lovely and crisp and crunchy. You can get bags or tubs of them in a lot of Asian stores here ... yummy :)

Advertisement