Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for this...

Options
  • 27-10-2010 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Anybody be able to recommend a book about the medici family of Florence around the 14th century. Paticularly any book which posits the events of the time in their wider context and discusses how that time may be said to link Aristotelian and Greek principles of democracy with what we have ended up with today. I'd also like it if there were sections of said book chronicling the direct effects of that time on, say, the French, American and Russian revolutions, before discussing its impact on today's society. Does such a book exist? Or is there one even close to the vague description I've given?
    Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hi, I once read an interesting biography of Machiavelli which explores Florentine politics of this era rather well. Its called 'Nicollo's Smile' (I cannot remember the authors name)

The Medici are widely written about, can't say I've ever read anything about them in particular. There are two general looking surveys attached to this article on encyclopedia.com, that should be a good start: http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Lorenzo_de_Medici.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

I've one necking around called Medici: Godfathers of the renaissance. A real drag of a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I was in Florence in June and was looking for the similar works. Didn't get to read any of them before I left, but the Rise & Fall of the House of Medici looked interesting and got good reviews. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a book (in English anyway) on Florence which touches all the bases you mention though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭pavb2

I thought Catherine Medici Leoni Frieda (a Bit later) but a good book informative on French religious wars also described relationships with Spain Britain & Holland.Mary QOS & Elizabeth 1

Advertisement