Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night travel from City Centre to Greystones

Options
  • 27-10-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Looking for suggestions for getting back about midnight from the City Centre on a friday night. Is it worth getting a Luas to Cherrywood & calling a cab from Bray ( its about 11 miles)?

Had a look at Finnegans but 3am is a bit late for their bus. Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Hi,

Aside from the finnegan's you could get the 84n nitelink bus that leaves at either 2 or 4 on fridays or saturdays. Goes as far as charlesland and costs a fiver.

Another way I've heard about (but never tested!) is the 133 wicklow town bus. Apparently it leaves hourly far into the wee hours, and you could get off at bray or kilmac and get a taxi back from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The 133 doesn't run anymore - Dublin Bus 84n is your best option - It stops generally before the Charlesland turn but the drivers can be cranky and refuse to go past the Dart station

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

84n leaves city at 00:00 on Friday night/Saturday morning.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84n/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

isn't the last dart around 11.30. Think it gets to gstones around 12.10. Finnegans at 1 to bray then taxi or 3. And dub bus 2 or 4. Luas seems a bit of a stretch and you'd still say 20 30 in taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

84N is the best bet at 00:00, 02:00 and 04:00 for only EUR 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

84N all the way. The Finnegans bus at 3am does a lengthy magical mystery tour around Bray before moving onto Greystones, the 84N by contrast is quicker, cheaper and runs more often (& if you have an annual bus\rail ticket its effectively free).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

loyatemu wrote: »
    84N all the way. The Finnegans bus at 3am does a lengthy magical mystery tour around Bray before moving onto Greystones, the 84N by contrast is quicker, cheaper and runs more often (& if you have an annual bus\rail ticket its effectively free).

The Finnegan can be long but the driver comes up and asks where abouts your going and skips alot of areas if nobody is getting off also is pretty sound and stops and lets the lads go for a Wizz lol,

Having spent some time in Europe where there is some kind of public transport 24/7 Ireland has alot to learn Weekdays ending at midnight :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

finnegans pick up along the way too.

The Finnegan can be long but the driver comes up and asks where abouts your going and skips alot of areas if nobody is getting off also is pretty sound and stops and lets the lads go for a Wizz lol

last time I got it it took 90 mins to get to Greystones - not what you want at the end of a long night. The 84N takes 40 mins.

If there's a few of you its worth going to one of the many idle taxi drivers around Dame St/College Green and haggling a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

50 euro from town to greystones via taxi. fast and totally worth it.

• Advertisement

50 euro from town to greystones via taxi. fast and totally worth it.

i've negotiated it down to €35 in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Did you haggle at one of the rank or just flag a taxi down on the street - at that price its a viable option

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Did you haggle at one of the rank or just flag a taxi down on the street - at that price its a viable option

went down to where they all hang out at College Green BOI (opposite where the rank is) and asked about 5 or 6 different guys. A few of them did tell me to F off, but if I was a cab driver I'd rather be driving somewhere and earning some money than sitting around doing nothing. The meter fare to Greystones is around €60 which is simply too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Took the 2am 84n bus last night - was a fiver & took 40 mins from trinity; regarding route, it went straight from bray to greystones station via windgates. Not a bad option all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

So can anyone confirm if the 84n go to Charlesland?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rasmus wrote: »
    So can anyone confirm if the 84n go to Charlesland?
    no it doesn't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 robbie_d

i got a taxi home for 35 too...just told the taxi driver thats all i had and that id got that price before.he didnt even blink, just said fine.
    it was nearly 60 on the meter...if i can get a taxi for 35 everytime then its the best option to get home from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Last time I got the N the bus driver kicked everyone off at the roundabout between Bray and Shankill. Bus driver refused to go any further. Ended up having to pay an extra €20 to get home in a taxi. Total bull.

Was too drunk to complain at the time and never got a response from Dublin Bus when I emailed them.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Last time I got the N the bus driver kicked everyone off at the roundabout between Bray and Shankill. Bus driver refused to go any further. Ended up having to pay an extra €20 to get home in a taxi. Total bull.

Was too drunk to complain at the time and never got a response from Dublin Bus when I emailed them.

sure you weren't on the 7N - thats exactly where it terminates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Positive, unless they changed it after we got on. Possible I suppose. My missus was a lot less inebriated and she was sure that it was the 84N when she got on (I assume they use the same buses for these routes).

Bus driver didn't have any change (as far as I recall, it was a good while ago now) so she got on while I had to go find some change. Didn't check the number as I was getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

loyatemu wrote: »
    i've negotiated it down to €35 in the past.

Wasnt me then :D

Advertisement