Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trek 2.5 - consider anything else?

• 27-10-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

On the cusp of going with a 2011 2.5 on the bike2work scheme. I have a commuter so will be for weekends. Have been running marathons for the last few years and looking for a change/supplement. Maybe do wicklow 200 next year.

Costing ~1700.

Should I be considering any other bikes?

Whats the general approach with aggling in bike shops? Would 10% be expected? More?
    Would I do better by getting gear thrown in (pedals etc)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

depadz wrote: »
    On the cusp of going with a 2011 2.5 on the bike2work scheme. I have a commuter so will be for weekends. Have been running marathons for the last few years and looking for a change/supplement. Maybe do wicklow 200 next year.

Costing ~1700.

Whats the general approach with aggling in bike shops? Would 10% be expected? More?

yes

i'd want a CF frame for that money

esp as you want a weekend bike
    (i bought a focus cayo last year and you dont see many round here but people still go nice bike )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

+1
    Wouldn't be buying Alu at that money - Looked at the Trek madone 4.5?

Be careful with shops on the BTW scheme taking advantage, their was a guy from the Indo on Today FM yesterday saying revenue are very interested in the scheme for the wrong reasons - People getting dodgy dockets and bikes for the kids and even lawnmowers from the shops.

Always some d*ckheads that ruin a perfectly good scheme for others, very shortsighted of the shop owners that are shooting themselves in the foot seemingly....

Having said that, there will be decent shops - Getting gear thrown in is always a better option from their perspective and easier to haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I got the Madone 4.5 for 1,900 ... full carbon and Shimano 105 ... I cant fault it and for the sake of 200e I'd be going for it. RRP was 2K but I managed to get a hundred off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

their was a guy from the Indo on Today FM yesterday saying revenue are very interested in the scheme for the wrong reasons - People getting dodgy dockets and bikes for the kids and even lawnmowers from the shops.

That would be Charlie Weston, himself and Matt Cooper were fairly ignorant about the whole bike world though, bought seemed amazed that it was possible to spend anywhere near €1,000 on a bike and gave the impression that anyone who actually uses the full €1,000 allowance were abusing the scheme in some form or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Unfortunately because you are benefiting from the BTW scheme, some shops feel that they are entitled to bend you over and rape you on the price.

However I vaguely remember someone mentioning that some shops give you a discount on the balance over €1,000 so look into that.

depadz wrote: »

Costing ~1700.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I got the Madone 4.5 for 1,900 ... full carbon and Shimano 105 ... I cant fault it and for the sake of 200e I'd be going for it. RRP was 2K but I managed to get a hundred off

Any harm in asking where you picked this up - was it a 2010 or 2011 model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

I got my 4.5 in the UK in June, Spokes cycles in Kirkcaldy, Scotland. cost me £1400. Same as this -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/madone-45-compact-2010-road-bike-ec019722

Trek don't like dealers advertising cut price deals online, worth phoning round a few dealers to see if they want to do a deal. The bike has changed for 2011 spec, so doing that might get a good deal from a shop that wants to clear current stock.

Good bike, the frame is excellent, stiff and comfy too. Just make sure it's serviced properly, my headset wasn't greased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

mitresize5 wrote: »

Is that 2011 madone 4.5 ?? was looking at it myself but was quoted 2,200

guy in the bike shop told me that Trek have increased there prices for

the 2011 bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

luzon wrote: »
    Is that 2011 madone 4.5 ?? was looking at it myself but was quoted 2,200

guy in the bike shop told me that Trek have increased there prices for

the 2011 bikes.

No it was the 2010 model - bought this time last year from Joe in the Bike Shop, O'Connell St, Limerick

Gave me a good price on my trade in aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Hi Depadz

I was recently looking to buy a carbon road bike with the same budget. For that price you will get a carbon frame bike but with a slightly lower spec groupset than the Trek 2.5. Take your time , visit plenty of bike shops to see what you like then do some research online. There is plenty of other stuff out there so compare all to before you decide. You asked for other recommendations , have a look at the Orbea Onix. After alot of deliberation and comparing different brands I bought one with shimano 105 set from Stagg cycles Lucan. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement