Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Gaming PC soon , Help me decide *

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Solitaire wrote: »
    A terrible PSU that claims its 500W but in reality would explode spectacularly if you tried pulling more than 200W from its 12V rail(s) :eek: The PSU I listed is rated for 450W, and can supply 396W of 12V power alone. Plus its decent enough to shut down rather than explode if you tried to pull 500W from its 12V rails :p Your build would normally use 150W while gaming and could peak around 200W on a bad day or if OCd somewhat. This is close to the 50% load mark for the PSU, the preferred way to run a PC.

Nope, our builds have seperate PSUs as they're the only good-quality ones. Ones with cases are almost always bad news :o

massy's build has a mobo with dodgy onboard sound. Its not quite as good as a decent Realtek 7.1 chip (my build has a mobo with one) but not bad either.... if it works. In practice those Via sound chips tend to suffer from horrid interference on many motherboards. You don't really want to listen to your network port while listening to music! :eek::o:p

Well can you tell me/send a link of a good one that doesnt have dodgy onboard sound? :p

Also I thought the 5770 needs at least 450w PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

the psu i listed will be fine for the job

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

LpPepper wrote: »
    Well can you tell me/send a link of a good one that doesnt have dodgy onboard sound? :p

The one on my list is fine, its just an older mobo that runs on DDR2. A cheap AM3 mobo with decent onboard sound/ethernet/etc. will cost a good €15 more, and the slightly cheaper DDR3 RAM won't make up all the difference :o
    Also I thought the 5770 needs at least 450w PSU?

A HD5770 normally uses ~60W when fully loaded, jumping to 80W on a really bad day. A budget CPU will use 30-90W; the AMD X3-4** line usually use in the region of 70W when fully loaded. Add other random stuff and a very basic X3+HD5770 build could get by on a PSU that gives out 250W of 12V power (not overall power) although 350W+ is preferable to keep the PSU running cool and efficient; the closer they run to 50% of their rated load, the happier they are ;)
    massy086 wrote: »
    the psu i listed will be fine for the job

No-one said anything rude about that - I specced the same one :p

Solitaire wrote: »
    The one on my list is fine, its just an older mobo that runs on DDR2. A cheap AM3 mobo with decent onboard sound/ethernet/etc. will cost a good €15 more, and the slightly cheaper DDR3 RAM won't make up all the difference :o

A HD5770 normally uses ~60W when fully loaded, jumping to 80W on a really bad day. A budget CPU will use 30-90W; the AMD X3-4** line usually use in the region of 70W when fully loaded. Add other random stuff and a very basic X3+HD5770 build could get by on a PSU that gives out 250W of 12V power (not overall power) although 350W+ is preferable to keep the PSU running cool and efficient; the closer they run to 50% of their rated load, the happier they are ;)

No-one said anything rude about that - I specced the same one :p

First off , thanks to everyone in this thread for the help :) I thought I new a bit about PC's but you's know a lot more :Dhah .

Solitaire , could you make me up a final basket of all the parts to make a good cheap gaming system? Guess you could say a mix of your build and massys' .

Just make sure it has the 5770 though :D

Thanks for all the help :)

;)

HWVS281010a.png

Bit pricier than I hoped, but you wanted a mix, and you got it! AM3/DDR3 but with good sound, HD5770, and that card reader :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

An 80+ certified 450W PSU for 40 spondulies! Thats a bargain alert right there! Though i presume shipping on its own kills it?

Yep. But with Corsair's recent weakness the Amazons and XFX-badged Seasonics are pretty much HWVS's secret sauce :D

Forgot to mention , how do you pay that site? Visa or bank transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Bank transfer - they don't take credit cards.

Advertisement