Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing ammo

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi guys how big a hassle is it too import ammo from the wee north ...? Was up in Tannyoky guns few weeks back and was pricing Norma 120gr 6.5 coming in at bout €39 ....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tfox wrote: »
    Hi guys how big a hassle is it too import ammo from the wee north ...? Was up in Tannyoky guns few weeks back and was pricing Norma 120gr 6.5 coming in at bout €39 ....?

Import permit, and visitors permit.
    DOJ and PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Think I'll have to have a wee chat with my friendly RFD and see if he'll bring them in for me :-)

Think I'll have to have a wee chat with my friendly RFD and see if he'll bring them in for me :-)

It's not a big deal, the drive is the biggest pain for me.
    I'll be visiting Intershoot soon to get some more Remington bits and some .308's

Whats involved in getting the appropriate paperwork ?

Whats involved in getting the appropriate paperwork ?

2 e-mails, thats about it, and wait ~5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

The process and paperwork is simple enough (although there's a little bit more to it than tackleberrywho has mentioned).

Step 1.
    Get your European Firearms Pass from your Local GS (Free) - Form and Pass available in the Garda Station, needs to signed by the Super.
    Step 2.
    Get a Sponsor in NI - Possibly the RFD or a helpful fellow-shooter up North.
    Step 3.
    Apply for a NI Visitor's Firearms Permit from the PSNI (UK£12) - Form 30.38: http://www.psni.police.uk/30-38.pdf (This can be obtained for a once-off visit or for a longer period of time, e.g. a year, and will take between 2 - 6 weeks to arrive) - Note: You will not be permitted to apply for any more than 1000 rounds of any one type of ammunition on this NI Visitor's Firearms Permit, the PSNI won't allow any more than that regardless what your allowance is on your Irish FAC.
    Step 4.
    Apply to the DoJ for an Individual Importation Permit available online here: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/individual%20importation%20application%20form.doc/Files/individual%20importation%20application%20form.doc (This can be applied for online by email - Just remember to include the RFD's details and a copy of your relevant FAC, front & back). There is no charge for this application. Apparently the applications are processed early in the week, so if you email your application in on a Friday or over the weekend, you should have your Import Licence back in the post by the following Thursday or Friday. This is one area where the DoJ are extremely efficient and professional.
    Step 5.
    Having obtained your NI Visitors Firearms Permit and your Individual Importation Licence, head north and buy your ammunition. Remember to bring a copy of the Importation Licence as the RFD should retain the original and you will need the copy if stopped anywhere along the way. Bring your FAC and EFP along too for good measure.

Simples!:rolleyes:

That's it in a nutshell.

A word of warning: Do not be tempted to shortcut any of the above stages.

It sounds more complicated that it actually is. Once you've done it the once, it's pretty simple and you can repeat the process anytime you need to head North for ammunition.

Hope that's of some help. dC

(Edit: If I've missed any step or document needed - I'm happy to stand corrected)

I neglected to mention European firearms pass Tfox, I've had one for some years. All you need is a photo for the pass, and a reason for requiring one. I printed out a page of the place i was visiting at the time

However, after you fill out a few forms, it is relatively easy.

And once you do it once, it's simples the next time

and a reason for requiring one

tackleberrywho, AFAIK, you are automatically entitled to get a EFP if you have an FAC - no reason is required for getting one and no reasons need be sought or provided - It is one of the few rights you do have under EU law;):D!

dCorbus wrote: »
    tackleberrywho, AFAIK, you are automatically entitled to get a EFP if you have an FAC - no reason is required for getting one and no reasons need be sought or provided - It is one of the few rights you do have under EU law;):D!

Well it was 2006 when I got mine, I was asked for one then, however, a loooooooooooooooot has changed since then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I neglected to mention European firearms pass Tfox, I've had one for some years..........
    Well it was 2006 when I got mine.........

Doesn't it have to be 'renewed' (resigned & dated for the period of the renewed licence/s period) when you renew your firearms licence/s, mine does? :confused:

• Advertisement

Doesn't it have to be 'renewed' (resigned & dated for the period of the renewed licence/s period) when you renew your firearms licence/s, mine does? :confused:

Yes, there is room for it to be updated several times

I know that. I do have one. It's currently 'expired' :rolleyes:

What I'm curious/confused about now, after reading your posts, is am I the only one who has to get it updated every time I renew my licence/s. From your posts it looks like you got it in 2006 and never had to get it 'renewed' :eek::confused:

I know that. I do have one. It's currently 'expired' :rolleyes:

What I'm curious/confused about now, after reading your posts, is am I the only one who has to get it updated every time I renew my licence/s. From your posts it looks like you got it in 2006 and never had to get it 'renewed' :eek::confused:

I've have not changed any firearms since ~2006, ah blessed was the Celtic tiger :(
    I just checked, I updated it in 2008 after I got my .308 and i wanted to head to Croatia at the time

Many thanks guys for the info. Have a EFP, just got it renewed few weeks back. Will have a gander at the various forms this evening, I think being a member of the BDS they will sponsor me for my northern licence.

On the import licence what does " CIP proof, yes/no ? " mean ...?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just an extra piece of advice tfox. When you purchase ammo down here it is automatically recorded by the RFD and when renewing your licenses your ammo amounts can be used to validate your "good Reason" for having the firearm.

However any ammo purchased in the north is not recorded so make sure to get a receipt of any ammo purchased and give a copy/photocoy to your FO. It will pay in the long run. Imagine you kept buying up North. After 3 years you go to renew your license. They check out your buying and see you have not bought a bullet in 3 years even though you have actually bought hundreds/thousands.

Also your FO is given a copy of the import order from the DOJ so he/she knows you are bringing in the ammo. They may call to verify what you are importing as they are not given exact details of what and how much rather that you are importing.

I cannot stress enough, KEEP RECEIPTS / RECORDS.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

+1
    Also your FO is given a copy of the import order from the DOJ so he/she knows you are bringing in the ammo. They may call to verify what you are importing as they are not given exact details of what and how much rather that you are importing.

Thanks ezridax, that's the bit I forgot to mention.
    (AFAIK) the FO is only advised by the DoJ of the amount of ammo you're importing - they will not know how much of what or what type you're bring in.

All your FO will be told by the DoJ (AFA I understand the procedure) is that you're importing, for example, 1850 rounds of ammunition, which when you only have a max of 1000 rounds on any one rifle, may cause some concern / curfuffle in the GS station, when in fact (for example) you could be bringing in 500 rounds of one brand of 22lr (for Rifle A), 1000 rounds of 22lr HV (for Rifle B), and 350 rounds of .223 (for Rifle C).

What I usually do, to try and avoid any unnecessary follow-up phonecalls from the FO and to keep him fully informed as to my ammo usage and possession, is to provide him with a copy of the actual import licence for his own files.

Yes, I agree, this is probably massive overkill and I'm not in any way obliged to provide the FO with this information, but I'm hoping that in this way the FO will be fully informed and advised of my ammo usage and purchasing (in addition to the records of any ammo I've purchased from Irish RFD's) and this will help with any discussions or questions which may arise in 3 years or so, when renewal rolls around again.
    On the import licence what does " CIP proof, yes/no ? " mean ...?

This means has the ammunition or firearm been proofed in accordance with the CIP proofing requirements (ref: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/hearings/20061004/imco/genco_en.pdf)

If you are purchasing commercially-manufactured ammunition made by a manufacturer based in a country signed up to the CIP, the ammunition box should have a proof mark shown. For example:

Lapua Scenar Ammunition will have this image on the box (Finnish CIP Proof mark for Commercial Ammunition):

LapuaScenarCIPProofMark.jpg

And HPS TargetMaster Ammunition will have this image on the box (Birmingham UK CIP Proof Mark for Commercial Ammunition):

HPSTargetMasterCIPProofMark-1.jpg

So, in short (after all that rigmarole :) ), if you are purchasing and importing commercially-manufactured ammunition, you should write YES in this box.

dC

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved to the main shooting forum as lots of folks are interested in this topic from both sides of the fence.

Thanks for all the info guys, will give it a go !!

tFox

If you import from intershoot he fills the form 3/4 out for you. All you have to do is edit and fill out your personal info, he will have the generic info filled in.

£12 and you have your visitors permit, The Irish Import lasts 3 months in case you have to reschedule your trip etc,
    The PSNI permit lasts 12 months.

Intershoot will fill in which form for me ....?

• Advertisement

Intershoot will fill in which form for me ....?

He'll have the import form details on his end filled in and he'll help you out with the visitors permit sponsorship etc.

And his Mrs makes really good Cake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Hi Lads,

quick question- does the same process apply to buying a firearm up north?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Pretty much.

Its the same import form for ammo thats used for firearms. It even states it on the form, " Firearm / Ammunition importation".

Obviously there are a few more details, such as calibre, type of firearm, etc, but i cannot see it being much more than what is required for ammo. Fundamentals remain the same. EFP, License, import form, visitor's permit, dealer details.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

He'll have the import form details on his end filled in and he'll help you out with the visitors permit sponsorship etc.

And his Mrs makes really good Cake ;)

Now tack there's been cake promised before on this forum and not delivered, wouldnt wanna be let down !! :-)

Now tack there's been cake promised before on this forum and not delivered, wouldnt wanna be let down !! :-)

When I make a promise, I keep it!!

(I can't promise any more replies, Laptop dying and the charger is not working, Poxy HP's
    )

.........(I can't promise any more replies, Laptop dying and the charger is not working, Poxy HP's[/B] )

At last good news :p

At last good news :p
    Good bless the smart phone! I'm assuming the bunny boiler's been importing ammo for years. I was in a gunshop in the north 10 years ago and the had pucks of 303 ammo.

http://www.fingalsports.com/

Quite happy with my supplier, thanks ;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

dCorbus wrote: »
    Note: You will not be permitted to apply for any more than 1000 rounds of any one type of ammunition on this NI Visitor's Firearms Permit, the PSNI won't allow any more than that regardless what your allowance is on your Irish FAC.

FECK IT !!!! I only rang hollowfarm yesterday about 2500 rounds n was gettin a great deal on em too !

• Advertisement

FECK IT !!!! I only rang hollowfarm yesterday about 2500 rounds n was gettin a great deal on em too !

@ gunhappy_ie : No reason why you can't still get that deal!

The 1000 round limit is on the NI Visitors Permit only and the 1000 round limit is Per Firearm, but you may apply to the DoJ to import as many rounds as your Irish FAC's will allow.

The RFD up North can sell you the amount stated on the DoJ Import Licence - the trick is to make one or two trips up to collect the ammo.

So for 2,500 rounds you can either spread the allowance across 2.5 rifles or alternatively make 2.5 trips into Northern Ireland.;) That said, you won't be able to get an DoJ Import Licence for more ammunition than you have allowed on your FAC(s).

Does what I've just written make any sense at all?:o

Advertisement