Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

geeky wrote: »
    Whatever about Pieterse, I'm pissed off at cutting Gannon loose.

If Gannon goes and Powell stays, there'll be worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Is Shane O'Connor making any waves up there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well he was better than Powell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Paul Crowley been released by Drogheda. Sean Brennan has signed for Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Apparently we got 50k plus add ons for Feely and have also signed Chris Lyons from UCD. Any UCD or other fans know anything about Lyons and Nangle? Squads coming along nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Philly Hughes, Glenn Cronin, Pat Flynn, Sean Brennan and Stephen Hurley are the first 5 for our squad for this season as per www.shelbournefc.ie

Delighted that Philly is back, something to be optimistic about in very bleak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »
    Philly Hughes, Glenn Cronin, Pat Flynn, Sean Brennan and Stephen Hurley are the first 5 for our squad for this season as per www.shelbournefc.ie

Delighted that Philly is back, something to be optimistic about in very bleak times.

The last part of the article from the Shels website worries me a bit, tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sean Gannon signs for Pats.

I would like to be 1st to WTF is going on in tallaght :confused:

Tasty squad so far but not mad about this last man back stuff.

Gannon probably made the decision to go when he wasn't even in the squad for the EA sports cup final. Seeing Gilbert start ahead of you must be soul-destroying. Rumours also doing the rounds that he asked to go out on loan midway through the season, but Kenny spun him a yarn about getting his chances - needless to say, that didn't really happen.

In any case, he was on the PFAI transfer list from day one IIRC, so he'd made up his mind before Croly even came in. Watching him sign lads who've been knocking around the league for a few years probably didn't change it.

It's very disappointing, but at least the fans on the ultra forum are putting it down to the club's failure to blood him in, and wishing him well rather than calling him a 'rat b***ard'. He's far from the finished article as a player, but he could easily develop further if he gets a chance, and he's a good lad as well.

If Powell stays on we'll start to see the 'Croly out' campaign kick off. Seriously, there's an unreal amount of hatred around Tallaght for a guy who's a limited, but largely hard-working, player.

Lars1916 wrote: »

TBH I'd be more worried if I was a Dundalk or Sligo fan at the moment. Some silly money flying around the league at the moment, and I get the feeling that bit commitments are being made with too much optimism in the air.

At least Shels are accepting that they'll have to cut their cloth a certain amount. Let's be honest, they'll stay in the division. If we've learned anything from recent years, it's that things go south in the club that suddenly stops paying big bucks before they do in the club that didn't promise much to begin with. (eg from this year - Bohemians and UCD vs Dundalk).

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    So cowardly to not actually directly come out and say that they've signed him on a 2 year contract.

TBH I'd be more worried if I was a Dundalk or Sligo fan at the moment. Some silly money flying around the league at the moment, and I get the feeling that bit commitments are being made with too much optimism in the air.

At least Shels are accepting that they'll have to cut their cloth a certain amount. Let's be honest, they'll stay in the division. If we've learned anything from recent years, it's that things go south in the club that suddenly stops paying big bucks before they do in the club that didn't promise much to begin with. (eg from this year - Bohemians and UCD vs Dundalk).
    Nobody at Shels is worried about the budget, we'd take another 1000 a week off the budget happily if it meant that Mr.Deplorable would no longer be in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Why would a Sligo fan be worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Who have Dundalk and Sligo spent the money on?

Who have Dundalk and Sligo spent the money on?
    Sure Ndo is on 3 grand a week.. According to some lunatics I was talking to in Tallaght last time we were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Reyaad Pieterse and Sean Gannon have confirmed via Twitter that they'll be leaving.

Whatever about Pieterse, I'm pissed off at cutting Gannon loose.

I said previously on here that Kenny seems to want Reyaad at Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

I said previously on here that Kenny seems to want Reyaad at Dundalk.

At the AGM he said Reyaad was one of the best keepers he had ever seen, especially for this level.

Gannon wants first team football so moves to a club with the best RB in the league? Talented youngster...played his best two games against pats. Im sure if he does well he'll be back, doing a bit of a Kilduff.

Ebbs wrote: »
    Gannon wants first team football so moves to a club with the best RB in the league?
    Seamus Conneely is the best right back in the league. I'd take Keane as second best. Still a valid point though.

Gannon isn't great. Shams fans just wanted him to play cause the other options were so poor. If he'd played last year they'd hate him as much as they do everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Seamus Conneely is the best right back in the league. I'd take Keane as second best. Still a valid point though.

Gannon isn't great. Shams fans just wanted him to play cause the other options were so poor. If he'd played last year they'd hate him as much as they do everyone else.

Isn't Conneely playing as a CM nowadays? Quality RB all the same. Alan Keane, on the other hand... :eek:

Anyway. I think Gannon can play RB/CB/CM so presumably he'll get some game time.

Isn't Conneely playing as a CM nowadays? Quality RB all the same. Alan Keane, on the other hand... :eek:

Anyway. I think Gannon can play RB/CB/CM so presumably he'll get some game time.
    Conneely played in almost every position for us in his half a season. After Keane got injured he played right back.

Alan Keane is quality. One of the most consistent performers around. Theres really no one I'd have ahead of him, apart from Conneely, and even at that Keane gives a better attacking option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'll see your Conneely and raise you young John Dunleavey down here in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Conneely played in almost every position for us in his half a season. After Keane got injured he played right back.

Alan Keane is quality. One of the most consistent performers around. Theres really no one I'd have ahead of him, apart from Conneely, and even at that Keane gives a better attacking option.

Hmm. Not Alan Keane's biggest fan. He is good going forward though, has to be said.
    I'll see your Conneely and raise you young John Dunleavey down here in Cork.

Yeah, seems like a good prospect.

Either way, there's no lack of decent right back's in the country. There's Ger O'B, Simon Madden, Derek Pender and the three above, among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Seamus Conneely is the best right back in the league. I'd take Keane as second best.
    Talk about blinded by loyalty.

Never mind best full-backs, Ger O'Brien is one of the best footballers in the league. Delighted Pats have him for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lack of Left Backs and Goalies on the league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The PFAI twitter says there are reports that Sean McGuire is on the verge of signing for West Ham after an impressive trial period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bah. Our player of the year for 2012 has just announced he's moving on. Derek Foran looks like he's heading to Shams although there's apparently an offer on the table from an American side as well.

We've let some really good players go over the last couple of seasons. Quigley, Kearns, Madden, Gaynor, McLaughlin and Foran to name just a few.

Pighead wrote: »
    Bah. Our player of the year for 2012 has just announced he's moving on. Derek Foran looks like he's heading to Shams although there's apparently an offer on the table from an American side as well.

We've let some really good players go over the last couple of seasons. Quigley, Kearns, Madden, Gaynor, McLaughlin and Foran to name just a few.

Any word on Griff?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Karl Moore signed up for another season at Bohs.

Darragh Hanaphy also joining apparently.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems we'll be keeping a good bit of the core of last seasons squad

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Bah. Our player of the year for 2012 has just announced he's moving on.

Who was our last player of the year to stay with us? Paul Marney maybe in mid 00s? Could be going back further.

Big big loss. One of the best young centre halves in the league and will be extremely difficult to replace.

Any word on Griff?

I'd be surprised if he wasn't with us next season. Might be better off for the club and his own progression if he wasn't. Didn't seem to be performing to his capabilities last season although can be difficult to judge in such a poor side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Any word on Griff?
    There was a good bit of talk last week saying he was going to Derry but I've heard nothing since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bohs must be planning for the long, long, long term future. Just sent out a release that says "Bohemian FC is pleased to announce that Aaron Callaghan has this week renewed his contract with the club as senior team manager. His new contract will run for two years from 1 January 2913."

Bohs must be planning for the long, long, long term future. Just sent out a release that says "Bohemian FC is pleased to announce that Aaron Callaghan has this week renewed his contract with the club as senior team manager. His new contract will run for two years from 1 January 2913."

Owen Heary as player coach? Well he's lasted this long...

So we'll owe him 900 years salary as compensation if we want to sack him? Oh god.

Reads 2013 now, must have been a quick edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Pats finally have someone to stick between the posts, Clarke has re-signed. (Greg Bolger is officially back for next season too)

Current Squad:
    Brendan Clarke, Ger O’Brien, Sean Gannon, Kenny Browne, Conor Kenna, Ian Bermingham, Jake Carroll, John Russell, Greg Bolger, Shane McFaul, Killian Brennan, Chris Forrester, Conan Byrne, Anto Flood, Christy Fagan and Jake Kelly

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9310/st-pats-re-sign-bolger-and-clarke/

Pats finally have someone to stick between the posts, Clarke has re-signed. (Greg Bolger is officially back for next season too)

Current Squad:
    Brendan Clarke, Ger O’Brien, Sean Gannon, Kenny Browne, Conor Kenna, Ian Bermingham, Jake Carroll, John Russell, Greg Bolger, Shane McFaul, Killian Brennan, Chris Forrester, Conan Byrne, Anto Flood, Christy Fagan and Jake Kelly

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9310/st-pats-re-sign-bolger-and-clarke/

Coombes Farragher Hyland and Boyne from the under 19s too, assuming we keep hold of them past January.

Decent squad tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any word on Griff?

I posted Leeds were interested in him to have a trial, not sure how far that went.

This lad supposedly met with Matthews the other day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Towell

I posted Leeds were interested in him to have a trial, not sure how far that went.

This lad supposedly met with Matthews the other day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Towell

Us and Rovers before that, training with Bluebell or Crumlin afaik.

Looking for mental money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Well, we're not retaining anyway, we haven't even got a player for each position yet. Baraclough is obviously looking at bringing some players in from England in January, but I'm not at all confident there will be players good enough to win a league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Would be a cracking signing, was very impressed with him in the Ireland U-21 games in the Showgrounds. Wouldn't mind seeing him back there.

Towell is far too good for Shels. What would Matthews be wanting with a midfielder that can play football?

Towell is far too good for Shels. What would Matthews be wanting with a midfielder that can play football?
    Know nothing about Towell but we did a good enough job of bypassing a midfield who play football last year, so why change a system that clearly works for Matthews?

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Well, we're not retaining anyway, we haven't even got a player for each position yet. Baraclough is obviously looking at bringing some players in from England in January, but I'm not at all confident there will be players good enough to win a league.

Rogers
    Keane Henderson Peers Gaynor
    Ndo Conneeley Cawley Lynch Connolly
    North

Thats the basis of a very good League of Ireland team. No need to be so defeatist.

CSF wrote: »
    Know nothing about Towell but we did a good enough job of bypassing a midfield who play football last year, so why change a system that clearly works for Matthews?
    True enough! In all seriousness I've only seen him play in the couple of U21 games here but he looked a class above LOI level. He'd be a serious signing.

True enough! In all seriousness I've only seen him play in the couple of U21 games here but he looked a class above LOI level. He'd be a serious signing.
    Probably not true. I can't imagine we can get near someone who was playing a decent amount for a top half SPL team last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Rogers
    Keane Henderson Peers Gaynor
    Ndo Conneeley Cawley Lynch Connolly
    North

Thats the basis of a very good League of Ireland team. No need to be so defeatist.

I'm not going to be happy with Henderson starting come March. He is too inexperienced to be a starting CB for the champions. Ditto Connolly on the wing. Big test to try and get players good enough to come in, the LOI merry-go-round is over for this off-season now.

McMillan is still available or has he signed somewhere? He'd be a good replacement at CB.

McMillan is still available or has he signed somewhere? He'd be a good replacement at CB.
    Think there's a few clubs in scotland sniffing around him. Hasn't signed for anyone as of yet though.

..................Clarke
    GOB....Kenna.....Browne.....Bermo
    ..............Mc Faul
    ....Russell...........Bolger
    Byrne.........................Forrester
    ..................Fagan

Flood
    Carroll
    Brennan
    Gannon
    J Kelly

Coombes
    Boyne
    Farragher
    Hyland

Our confirmed* unless moving to UK in jan squad.

I'm not going to be happy with Henderson starting come March. He is too inexperienced to be a starting CB for the champions. Ditto Connolly on the wing. Big test to try and get players good enough to come in, the LOI merry-go-round is over for this off-season now.

As I said its the basis. With Boco, Quigley and Mcguiness all gone we should have a nice bit left over to fill the squad with quality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ..................Clarke
    GOB....Kenna.....Browne.....Bermo
    ..............Mc Faul
    ....Russell...........Bolger
    Byrne.........................Forrester
    ..................Fagan

Flood
    Carroll
    Brennan
    Gannon
    J Kelly

Coombes
    Boyne
    Farragher
    Hyland

Our confirmed* unless moving to UK in jan squad.

Brennan has to start ahead of Byrne I reckon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement