Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well a certain Fingal player seems to think O'Neill won't be leaving anyway.

Maybe that certain player needs to talk to the club, or Shamrock Rovers, or even Gary O'Neill himself.

It was confirmed by someone within Rovers that he has signed for them, and it's posted in the thread here, somewhere.

I know from talking to people I deal with within the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    It is factually correct.

At last, the penny drops. And not before time.
    I can't believe you think S.S.C. Napoli was founded in 2004 and that Maradona never played for the team that is currently 2nd in Serie A.

I couldn't give a toss about Napoli. And I never mentioned them. :rolleyes:
    I don't even understand why this is such a big deal for you.

You and other fans of the latest Cork franchise have come on here spouting lies and trying to claim some other club's history as your own. We're just pointing your BS.
    Is Cork City all Shels fans talk about? I wouldn't be surprised! :D

Fans of a 115 year old football club have plenty of other things to talk about.

Our history and our future being just two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Zebra3 wrote: »
    At last, the penny drops. And not before time.

I couldn't give a toss about Napoli. And I never mentioned them. :rolleyes:

You and other fans of the latest Cork franchise have come on here spouting lies and trying to claim some other club's history as your own. We're just pointing your BS.

Our history and our future being just two of them.

So you agree what I said was factually correct, great that the penny has dropped for you. The situation is almost the exact same as Napoli, which is just one example of another club that underwent the same stuff as ourselves, that's why I mentioned them, there are loads of others, get over it kid. You're still here talking about Cork City Football Club, absolutely obsessed with us :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Zebra3 wrote: »

Apparently not;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

So you agree what I said was factually correct, great that the penny has dropped for you. The situation is almost the exact same as Napoli, which is just one example of another club that underwent the same stuff as ourselves, that's why I mentioned them, there are loads of others, get over it kid. You're still here talking about Cork City Football Club, absolutely obsessed with us :D

In fairness, you're atempt to rewrite the history books is fairly pathetic.

The holding company of Cork City FC went bust. Tom Coughlan still owned Cork City FC after it went bust but they had nothing (including no players) so obviously didn't get a license. In the meantime, FORAS had already applied for a license to play in the first division as a completely new club, unconnected to the former. The new club bought the rights to the name, history etc. (whatever that means), but the fact is it's a new club.

Be proud of your history, however short it is and, please if you're going to reply, for the love of Jebus, don't mention Napoli (who by the way are a new club;)).

"In 2001 Napoli failed to gain promotion back up, missing out by one place. This set off a spiral effect which saw the club slip further; the next season they finished a lowly 16th. Worse was to come for the club however, with a debt estimated up to 70 million euros[8], the club was declared bankrupt in August 2004.

Rebirth under De Laurentiis
    Under the name Napoli Soccer a new club was born, thanks to film producer Aurelio De Laurentiis; the intention was to ensure the city of Naples would not be left without a football team. During the first season down in Serie C1, Napoli narrowly missed out on promotion to U.S. Avellino after losing 2-1 in the play-off."

s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

By the way, stop with the 'kid' stuff. It's cringeworthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Apparently not;)

The Shels lads are spoiled this year from their vantage point on that moral high ground...

In fairness, you're atempt to rewrite the history books is fairly pathetic.

The holding company of Cork City FC went bust. Tom Coughlan still owned Cork City FC after it went bust but they had nothing (including no players) so obviously didn't get a license. In the meantime, FORAS had already applied for a license to play in the first division as a completely new club, unconnected to the former. The new club bought the rights to the name, history etc. (whatever that means), but the fact is it's a new club.

Be proud of your history, however short it is and, please if you're going to reply, for the love of Jebus, don't mention Napoli (who by the way are a new club;)).

"In 2001 Napoli failed to gain promotion back up, missing out by one place. This set off a spiral effect which saw the club slip further; the next season they finished a lowly 16th. Worse was to come for the club however, with a debt estimated up to 70 million euros[8], the club was declared bankrupt in August 2004.

Rebirth under De Laurentiis
    Under the name Napoli Soccer a new club was born, thanks to film producer Aurelio De Laurentiis; the intention was to ensure the city of Naples would not be left without a football team. During the first season down in Serie C1, Napoli narrowly missed out on promotion to U.S. Avellino after losing 2-1 in the play-off."

s.

S.S.C. Napoli are proud of their history dating back to the early 1900s, Cork City F.C. are proud of their history dating back to 1984. As I'm sure you've seen from the article you quoted (or here http://www.sscnapoli.it/client/render_e.aspx?content=0&root=868&lang=it-IT), the history of S.S.C. Napoli dates all the way back from the early 1900s to the present day, and City's history dates from 1984-present. The same can be said for loads of other clubs who have been through similar situations. That's not attempting to re-write the history books. New until they took over the old. It's the same as changing holding companies but new entities were temporarily competing due to additional legal complications in taking over the old, it was a bit more complicated than for example Shelbourne FC Ltd. buying the name, history, etc. off Accolade Ltd because they weren't wound up in the High Court.

Napoli's official website claims that Maradona played for the club, but that mustn't be true according to you, I think you should write them a letter correcting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

dfx- wrote: »
    The Shels lads are spoiled this year from their vantage point on that moral high ground...

Standing just below the Rovers fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bohsman wrote: »
    Standing just below the Rovers fans?

It only seems like a high point because other clubs have sunk so low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

stovelid wrote: »
    It only seems like a high point because other clubs have sunk so low.
    Not even Bohs have sunk as low as Rovers fans to be fair.

CSF wrote: »
    Not even Bohs have sunk as low as Rovers fans to be fair.

Bringing your own club to the brink of extinction rates pretty high though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Davoren signed up for sligo yesterday and we are in talks with karl sheppard from galway.
    Paul Cooks name has been mentioned for the burnley job-hopefully not but that may be the price of success.

and lads this is a transfer rumours thread - not a debate on whether cork or shels are a better club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Sligored wrote: »
    Davoren signed up for sligo yesterday and we are in talks with karl sheppard from galway.Paul Cooks name has been mentioned for the burnley job-hopefully not but that may be the price of success.

and lads this is a transfer rumours thread - not a debate on whether cork or shels are a better club.

Pity then that he has already signed for Rovers.... Unveiling of 3 players (one striker, one midfielder one defender) in Tallaght on the 6th with another done deal from the Sligs. Two players were told to fcuk off by MON for acting the goat over the contracts offered. Bizarrely, one midfielder we were tracking is waiting on a counter offer from Bohs.

Stewart gone to Derry as he can live with his mammy there, Murphy to Cork as thats his level and Mannus may or may not sign for St Johnstone.

The Barry Murphy to Rovers rumour is complete and utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Pity then that he has already signed for Rovers.... Unveiling of 3 players (one striker, one midfielder one defender) in Tallaght on the 6th with another done deal from the Sligs. Two players were told to fcuk off by MON for acting the goat over the contracts offered. Bizarrely, one midfielder we were tracking is waiting on a counter offer from Bohs.

Stewart gone to Derry as he can live with his mammy there, Murphy to Cork as thats his level and Mannus may or may not sign for St Johnstone.

The Barry Murphy to Rovers rumour is complete and utter nonsense.

Sheppard and O'Donnell?

Murphy to Cork as thats his level

That's bull. He mightn't have had a great season for ye, but he is still one of the best left backs in the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Murphy to Cork as thats his level :rolleyes:

FYP;)

That's bull. He mightn't have had a great season for ye, but he is still one of the best left backs in the country.

Well he isn't as good as Stevens, and thats all that matters. If he was as good as you say, where are the other offers.

I wish him well, but don't kid yourself he is even good enough to be in the Rovers squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Sheppard and O'Donnell?
    NO! its Garry mcCabe.he says it in the rest of his post.

• Advertisement

Well he isn't as good as Stevens, and thats all that matters. If he was as good as you say, where are the other offers.

I wish him well, but don't kid yourself he is even good enough to be in the Rovers squad

He got out of his contract to sign for us. He is one of the best left backs in the country, don't kid yourself that he isn't just because he didn't have a great season with ye, maybe it was the travelling to and from Dublin that didn't suit him, or playing at right back. In fairness to Stevens he had a very good year and made it into the PFAI Premier Division Team of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gary O'Neill, Sheppard and Twigg? Any other strikers for Shams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

well we have also lost a few!

on the murphy situation. he is a very average full back and not one thats up for title push in my opinion. he is a lower half of the table player. i'd even rate birmingham has a better player than him.

iregk wrote: »
    well we have also lost a few!

on the murphy situation. he is a very average full back and not one thats up for title push in my opinion. he is a lower half of the table player. i'd even rate birmingham has a better player than him.

The season before he joined ye he finished 3rd in the league, and he has never looked out of place in the top half. As I said, he mightn't have had a great season for ye, but he is still one of the best left backs in the country.

My understanding is O'Neill is not signing.

He got out of his contract to sign for us. He is one of the best left backs in the country, don't kid yourself that he isn't just because he didn't have a great season with ye, maybe it was the travelling to and from Dublin that didn't suit him, or playing at right back. In fairness to Stevens he had a very good year and made it into the PFAI Premier Division Team of the Year.

He was released from his contract. Look, if you are happy with the signing, good for you. No Rovers fans is lamenting the loss of his service. Tried it at a big club, wasn't up to the pace and dropped down a division. Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement

NO! its Garry mcCabe.he says it in the rest of his post.

McCabe is the fourth signing from Sligs. There is another midfielder to be announced next week

He was released from his contract. Look, if you are happy with the signing, good for you. No Rovers fans is lamenting the loss of his service. Tried it at a big club, wasn't up to the pace and dropped down a division. Best of luck to him.

He wanted to return to City, that's why he got out of his contract. He's finished in the top half of the league every season he's played here, he's got two league winners medals, he has been named by his fellow pros in the team of the year in the past, so your point is complete bull. He is one of the best left backs in the country.

He wanted to return to City, that's why he got out of his contract. He's finished in the top half of the league every season he's played here, he's got two league winners medals, he has been named by his fellow pros in the team of the year in the past, so your point is complete bull. He is one of the best left backs in the country.

And Rovers were only too happy to let him out of it.

I agreed with you that he is one of the best left backs around. Just not good enough for Rovers. He made no impact.

And Rovers were only too happy to let him out of it.

I agreed with you that he is one of the best left backs around. Just not good enough for Rovers. He made no impact.

He didn't do as well as Stevens last year, fair enough.

My understanding is O'Neill is not signing.

Was my understanding too from a Fingal player, but according to Paulw on the previous page he said he's signed definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Sheppard is signing "early next week" for whoever he's signing for. Rovers, I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Sheppard is signing "early next week" for whoever he's signing for. Rovers, I presume.

He wants to sign for Sligo. Lost his driving licence though, so will be Shamrock Rovers.

Beggars belief that GON was supposedly messing about when things look so dodgy at his club. Sometimes I think the supporters really can smell the coffee better than the players.

Beggars belief that GON was supposedly messing about when things look so dodgy at his club. Sometimes I think the supporters really can smell the coffee better than the players.

My understanding was that he went back to Fingal and got €50 a week more. He went to Rovers for a counter counter and when it was pointed out that if Rovers win the League, Cup, Setanta and a round in Europe the cumulative bonus would be in the region of €40,000, he didn't quite seem to get it.

If thats the sum of his ambition etc, no thanks.

Again, that's a well sourced rumour, but a rumour nonetheless.

As for Keegan, thats a different league of space cadet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

My understanding from someone inside the club is that GON is not signing for us either.

My understanding was that he went back to Fingal and got €50 a week more..

Shades of a few other players on the Northside last year.

Hope he ends up getting all his money.

Shades of a few other players on the Northside last year.

Hope he ends up getting all his money.

I do too. But it was more that he didn't quite get the idea that €2,000 extra in basic salary was less than the bonus he would get if Rovers lose every game next season.

As for Keegan, thats a different league of space cadet.

He's still not been signed up by any club as of last week, heard rumours he'd already signed for yous but that's 100% not true.
    iregk wrote: »
    My understanding from someone inside the club is that GON is not signing for us either.

That was my understanding off a Fingal player, but Paulw seems fairly certain a couple of pages back he has signed for yous.

He's still not been signed up by any club as of last week, heard rumours he'd already signed for yous but that's 100% not true.

He was offered one, but I believe he was trying to be too clever by half and O'Donnell has come in instead. Leaving him a choice of Pats or Bohs.
    That was my understanding off a Fingal player, but Paulw seems fairly certain a couple of pages back he has signed for yous.

Fraid not. Might still happen, but my understanding is MON lost patience with him, like he did with Keegan, and looked elsewhere.

John Sullivan off Limerick has signed for Shels. Buliding up a nice team of young, old and experienced players. Probably be an official annoucement of Paul Skinner, John Sullivan and a few other players signing soon enough.

• Advertisement

He was offered one, but I believe he was trying to be too clever by half and O'Donnell has come in instead. Leaving him a choice of Pats or Bohs.

Don't think Pats or Bohs have offered anything as of yet, Keegan was playing in a PFAI selection match during the week which nobody apart from the players who played seem to know about.:confused: Nothing even on the PFAI site about it.

Also heard about this a few weeks ago http://www.pfai.ie/news/257-kelly-to-manage-pfai-squad-in-norway seems a good few contracted players are heading over too aswell as out of contract ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Also heard about this a few weeks ago http://www.pfai.ie/news/257-kelly-to-manage-pfai-squad-in-norway seems a good few contracted players are heading over too aswell as out of contract ones.

Thought that had already gone ahead! Didn't realise Croly was involved either.

No mention of when the squad will be announced but you'd think it would have to be soon, some decent enough players on the 'expressed interest' list, what is the story with Craig Walsh!?

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Thought that had already gone ahead! Didn't realise Croly was involved either.

No mention of when the squad will be announced but you'd think it would have to be soon, some decent enough players on the 'expressed interest' list, what is the story with Craig Walsh!?

Released by Rovers middle of the season, finished it out with Longford.

The penny hasn't dropped for more than one player that the good old days are over.

Think a few of them thought the moolah timeline would read: Shels - Drogs - Bohs - Rovers.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    what is the story with Craig Walsh!?

He eats to much of Inchicores finest Macaris chipper.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He eats to much of Inchicores finest Macaris chipper.:D

Might be joining our A team afaik, decent player think he needs someone like mahon to "motivate" him.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Might be joining our A team afaik, decent player think he needs someone like mahon to "motivate" him.

****s sake if Inter Milan doesn't motivate him then auld Pete will have a tough job!

dreamers75 wrote: »

Best of luck with that, but maybe, just maybe, he isn't as good as reality tv made him out to be....

And bear in mind he was playing for Rovers for free and we still released him.

Lovely youngfella and I wish him all the best, but I don't think we will ever see him troubling the League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

I do too. But it was more that he didn't quite get the idea that €2,000 extra in basic salary was less than the bonus he would get if Rovers lose every game next season.

You might explain this over 2k bonus that all shamrock rovers players will recieve if they lose every game next season- sounds a good motivational tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Sligored wrote: »
    You might explain this over 2k bonus that all shamrock rovers players will recieve if they lose every game next season- sounds a good motivational tool

Champions League participation bonus?

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement