Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Gints Freimanis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sligored wrote: »
    shams can have sheppard , gary mc cabe , gary oneill but the real rovers just signed the best player in the league - get over it ciaran.
    Have yous signed Gary Twigg as well? :eek: :pac:

Looks like Sligo will keep most of their squad together, defo going to be a threat next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would loved to have got Ryan to be fair.

That said, midfield is looking good if Chambers stays and other rumours true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

New fans are much more likely to go and see Fingal than Shels.

Why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Zebra3 wrote: »

Because you are now firmly established as a mid table 1st division side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

dfx- wrote: »
    Or Cork's Latvian (?) star striker

Guntars Silagalis?

He was never a star striker. One of the worst players i've seen in a city jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

dfx- wrote: »
    Or Cork's Latvian (?) star striker

Silage was probably the worst player I've ever seen in a City jersey. Doolin was the only person who saw something in him and insisted on playing him (or else he just played him to wind us up). It was like playing 10v12. He broke up more of our attacks than opposition defenders.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    if thats the one we had affter them, he was that fcukin brutal cant even remember his name.

Freimanis never officially signed for us. He did alright in a pre-season friendly but I don't think Doolin was interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

We had a Latvian defender as well though, Robert Mezeckis. He got injured very early in the season and was out injured for ages. He left the club fairly soon after he recovered.

There are probably loads of good players in the Latvian league and we got the worst two.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

We had a Latvian defender as well though, Robert Mezeckis. He got injured very early in the season and was out injured for ages. He left the club fairly soon after he recovered.

There are probably loads of good players in the Latvian league and we got the worst two.:(

I think Mezeckis could've been good if he didn't get injured. We'll never know now anyway. I think he retired from playing after he left us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A century of football and still they didn't come and stay. I doubt the next century be any better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Almost as mental as Bohs signing a Ukrainian on loan...

The Maltese Falcon - Luke Dimech. What a stocking. Kalonas was a class act.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Guntars Silagalis?

He was never a star striker. One of the worst players i've seen in a city jersey.

That's him. My star striker comment should be taken with a pinch of salt. :) All I heard from Cork fans whenever he was there 2007 or 2008 was about how rubbish he was. Wasn't sure of his name or where he was from, just that he was rubbish.

Probably still scored against Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

stovelid wrote: »
    Would loved to have got Ryan to be fair.

That said, midfield is looking good if Chambers stays and other rumours true.

What was with Chambers last season? Seemed unfit for the most part, anytime I saw him play he was substituted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Almost as mental as Bohs signing a Ukrainian on loan...

ah kalonuas prob one of the best players ive ever seen in a bohs jersey a quality player!!!

major bill wrote: »
    ah kalonuas prob one of the best players ive ever seen in a bohs jersey a quality player!!!

So its 'mental' that Rovers could do similar? :confused:

Incorrect.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    A century of football and still they didn't come and stay. I doubt the next century be any better.

Yet, despite it all we'll still be here in another century unlike a host of the current franchises in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Its been far more miss than hit over the years, remember Pereploytkin (the next Shevchenko) anyone?

Oh you could, but would you not be slightly disappointed to be bringing in two Greeks on loan when there is plenty of talent on offer around us.

Its not really sustaining and developing the squad for the future.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Oh you could, but would you not be slightly disappointed to be bringing in two Greeks on loan when there is plenty of talent on offer around us.

Its not really sustaining and developing the squad for the future.

I don't disagree that loans are not ideal, but if the choice is being bent over by a journeyman pro for money we aren't willing to pay, bring on the Greeks.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Its been far more miss than hit over the years, remember Pereploytkin (the next Shevchenko) anyone?

Thats actually who I was thinking of. Whatever happened to him?

Yet, despite it all we'll still be here in another century unlike a host of the current franchises in the league.

And if you're happy with your current fan levels and standard of play then it's all good.

Thats actually who I was thinking of. Whatever happened to him?

Skonto Riga if you are talking about Andrei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Facts
    shaun williams on trial with celtic
    mark mcchrystal gone from derry to tranmre
    Reported
    Cretaro in talks with sligo
    paul cook in the running for stockport job

I don't disagree that loans are not ideal, but if the choice is being bent over by a journeyman pro for money we aren't willing to pay, bring on the Greeks.

Fair enough, but I expected Rovers to have their pick of the League during the off season. I doubt you would have being signing journeymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I've seen stranger things happen aka Tallaght Stadium being host to hundreds of family supporting Rovers on a bi-weekly basis even if your "hardcore fans" like causing mayhem in Oriel Park and delaying a match by 10 minutes, even if your fans like having an aul run on the pitch in Richmond, even if your fans even like a bit of banter with 3 fans on the Luas after a pre-season friendly, even if you had a coke dealing assistant manager, the list goes on....

Combine the few points above and I'll take "mid table 1st Division side" any day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sligored wrote: »
    Facts
    shaun williams on trial with celtic

Yep, info on Sky Sports.

Could be a very good move for him.

dsmythy wrote: »
    And if you're happy with your current fan levels and standard of play then it's all good.

I never said that, but hey, why not just make stuff up? :rolleyes:

I've seen stranger things happen aka Tallaght Stadium being host to hundreds of family supporting Rovers on a bi-weekly basis even if your "hardcore fans" like causing mayhem in Oriel Park and delaying a match by 10 minutes, even if your fans like having an aul run on the pitch in Richmond, even if your fans even like a bit of banter with 3 fans on the Luas after a pre-season friendly, even if you had a coke dealing assistant manager, the list goes on....

Combine the few points above and I'll take "mid table 1st Division side" any day!

Eh?

As for the rest, blah blah blah. Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Paulw wrote: »
    Yep, info on Sky Sports.

Could be a very good move for him.

Williams is a fantastic player, hope he gets the move.

GUFC news from elsewhere:

Sheppard has announced he won't be resigning.
    DOB and Molloy linked with moves to Limerick (Barry Ryan has already signed for them).
    O'Donnell to Shams seems a done deal.
    McKenzie apparently heading back to Cyprus.
    Meynell training with Stalybridge Celtic of the Conference North.
    Seamie has signed for Sheffield Utd (good luck to him!)

Fair enough, but I expected Rovers to have their pick of the League during the off season. I doubt you would have being signing journeymen.

We have a number of signings from the league lined up, including one and possibly two of your players (defender and midfileder respectively) and the only player we actively pursued we lost out on was O'Neill, and we lost out on him for the right reasons.

Simply there isn't a great deal of talent in the league that would improve the side, so we took what we wanted and are looking elsewhere for the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

the only player we actively pursued we lost out on was O'Neill, and we lost out on him for the right reasons.

Yeah, I think you're right there. But, I don't think the reasons for him not joining Shamrock Rovers were simply financial. It's a hell of a lot more complex than simply money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Williams is a fantastic player, hope he gets the move.

GUFC news from elsewhere:

Sheppard has announced he won't be resigning.
    DOB and Molloy linked with moves to Limerick (Barry Ryan has already signed for them).
    O'Donnell to Shams seems a done deal.
    McKenzie apparently heading back to Cyprus.
    Meynell training with Stalybridge Celtic of the Conference North.
    Seamie has signed for Sheffield Utd (good luck to him!)
    has he not already gone in the last couple of days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Boo hoo hoo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We have a number of signings from the league lined up, including one and possibly two of your players (defender and midfileder respectively) and the only player we actively pursued we lost out on was O'Neill, and we lost out on him for the right reasons.

Simply there isn't a great deal of talent in the league that would improve the side, so we took what we wanted and are looking elsewhere for the balance.
    Offering Richie Ryan a contract isn't active pursuit then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

has he not already gone in the last couple of days?
    Yeah, I think he has signed for Larnaca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Boo hoo hoo...
    I absolutely love how this is the Rovers attitude towards their own problems, yet when its something to do with Bohs they're in there like a flash with the moral judgement.

I've seen a few Rovers fans refer to us Shels fans as the self-appointed moral guardians of the league in this thread, but at least we apply our judgement to our own club too.

CSF wrote: »
    I absolutely love how this is the Rovers attitude towards their own problems, yet when its something to do with Bohs they're in there like a flash with the moral judgement.

I've seen a few Rovers fans refer to us Shels fans as the self-appointed moral guardians of the league in this thread, but at least we apply our judgement to our own club too.

Easy to see where their morons pick it up from:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rovers-star-jailed-after-armed-raid-on-cinema-queue-352151.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This thread has become a joke lately. It's just petty shots at rival clubs and their fans. Have all the posters who make foot bad invaded boards or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Killian Brennan springs to mind.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ebbs wrote: »
    Killian Brennan springs to mind.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Brennan was involved in armed robbery and got at least 5 years in jail?

As for fans attacking other clubs problems and defending their own on here, thats always been the norm, go to any of those clubs message boards to find the true opinions.

What was with Chambers last season? Seemed unfit for the most part, anytime I saw him play he was substituted.

He is a big bloke but I also thought he could have been fitter too but that said: midfield would suit him better as a ball player but he was often filling in as a wide player or at full back where I think more mileage was demanded.

I think it's more that Irish players expect to either wangle stupid money or use an offer from us to wangle more elsewhere. The point is that there are players of the same standard elsewhere that are not as deluded as some of the players here. MON said as much.

Gav, what's up you and some of the other Shels lads sometimes? This bitter off-topic shit? Do you think if I got busted for a drugs offence tomorrow my employer would somehow be culpable? No problem with barbs in the football, management or supporters vein but this kind of stuff is embarrassing. As is the little coterie of Bohs and Sligo thankers that follow every such post.

Do you think if I got busted for a drugs offence tomorrow my employer would somehow be culpable? No problem with barbs in the football, management or supporters vein but this kind of stuff is embarrassing.

;) the Model Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thread has gone to **** latelly.

Mac Millan from UCd to sign for pats later this month, Kilduff un touchable unless someone pays a fee.

Malcom Christie :D

reckon Davenport be a decent signing noone in england will touch him similiar to Partridge and us few years ago.

Thread has gone to **** latelly.

Mac Millan from UCd to sign for pats later this month, Kilduff un touchable unless someone pays a fee.

Malcom Christie :D

reckon Davenport be a decent signing noone in england will touch him similiar to Partridge and us few years ago.

Wouldn't mind Kilduff back at all.

Just a pity he wasn't involved in the club at the time, let alone the assistant manager as you claim

Wouldn't mind Kilduff back at all.

Under contract UCD want 10k for him, afaik Mahon "on the case" as they cut their football budget and may suit them to let him go. Assume Rovers not interested as they could easily pay that fee.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Offering Richie Ryan a contract isn't active pursuit then?

My understanding is we didn't....

Under contract UCD want 10k for him, afaik Mahon "on the case" as they cut their football budget and may suit them to let him go. Assume Rovers not interested as they could easily pay that fee.

Why would we sign Sheppard and Kilduff?

• Advertisement

Why would we sign Sheppard and Kilduff?

Gonna win the league with 2 strikers? Suppose theres always a 1st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement