Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

is chris lyons staying on with bohs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

doncarlos wrote: »
    Every club has to do it now. I'd be surprised if we paid anything close to the €20k.

Why? That is what we are owed fair and square if he does sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Dundalk have signed David McMillan from Sligo R.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/mcmillan-signs-on-for-2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

No idea what to make of Mcmillan after his half season here. Didn't see too much of him and a good bit of what we did he was stuck out on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    Why? That is what we are owed fair and square if he does sign.

Says who? One report said assumed to between €15,000 and €20,000 and everybody went with the higher figure. They also based this on Wages earned when it should have been training compensation.

Check out the Irish FAs compensation guidelines. The FAIs would be very similar.

http://www.irishfa.com/fs/doc/Domestic_Training__Devlopment_Compensation_Guidelines_-_March_2011.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Says who? One report said assumed to between €15,000 and €20,000 and everybody went with the higher figure. They also based this on Wages earned when it should have been training compensation.

Check out the Irish FAs compensation guidelines. The FAIs would be very similar.

http://www.irishfa.com/fs/doc/Domestic_Training__Devlopment_Compensation_Guidelines_-_March_2011.pdf
    Training compo is paid to clubs where the player was from 12 to 21 and applies to players under 23. What I think we have here is the fact that a club is protected for a player under 23 who is offered a new contract on the same terms but does not take it up.

This compensation is based on gross salary.
    2. When dealing with cases of Training Compensation, the DRC shall apply the following provisions:
    (i) A figure to represent the total amount of compensation for a player’s training and development who has been in employment with his club for two or more full consecutive seasons shall be calculated with regard to the gross
    income of the player. The gross income of the player is the income which he earned during the last 12 months before the issue of the Certificate of Transfer for the change of Clubs, under contract as a Professional Player.
    (ii) A figure to represent the total amount of compensation for a player’s training and development who has been in employment with his present club for one season immediately following his change of status, shall be
    calculated with regard to 50% of the gross income of the player. The gross income of the player is the income which he earned during the last 12 months before the issue of the Certificate of Transfer for the change of Clubs,
    under contract as a Professional Player.

From the FAI participation agreement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Training compo is paid to clubs where the player was from 12 to 21 and applies to players under 23. What I think we have here is the fact that a club is protected for a player under 23 who is offered a new contract on the same terms but does not take it up.

This compensation is based on gross salary.

From the FAI participation agreement

I stand corrected.

However if this went to arbitration I would doubt that the former club would get the full amount. What would stop a mega wealthy club (or a team with a reserve side;) ) signing up the best 30 young players in the country on decent two year contracts and then stopping them signing for anybody else when their contract is up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Setanta Cup Draw on Wednesday. Prize money not great but 30 grand for winning it would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Pighead wrote: »
    Setanta Cup Draw on Wednesday. Prize money not great but 30 grand for winning it would be nice.
    Seriously devalued this year now Linfield and Cliftonville pulled out.
    It was a cakewalk for the LOI clubs last year, will be even more so this year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Raf32 wrote: »

Don't think so, hasn't been re-signed so far anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Raf32 wrote: »

Midlands bound supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Midlands bound supposedly.

Is Chris Lyons any good?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He has a bit of pace, and that's about it really. Didn't display much in the way of positioning or finishing. Dinny Corcoran was comfortably better than him when he came in, which says a lot. Took a few awful penalties too.

Maybe we didn't play to his strengths, god knows we didn't make a huge amount of chances last season, but won't be many Bohs fans disappointed to see him go.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

any Bohs fans know anything about Shane Murray? Signed for Waterford Utd this week... along with half a dozen Wexford Youths lads. Both Nolan bro's, Croke, Corcoran, Mulcahy and Gary Delaney.

Doesn't exactly fill me with optimism for the coming season. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

blue-army wrote: »
    any Bohs fans know anything about Shane Murray? Signed for Waterford Utd this week... along with half a dozen Wexford Youths lads. Both Nolan bro's, Croke, Corcoran, Mulcahy and Gary Delaney.

Doesn't exactly fill me with optimism for the coming season. :/
    Good attacking midfielder very unlucky with injuries so never got a proper run in the team although i thought he was our best player when we drew 1-1 with Rovers in Tallaght will do well for Waterford if he can stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Seriously devalued this year now Linfield and Cliftonville pulled out.
    It was a cakewalk for the LOI clubs last year, will be even more so this year.
    An All-Ireland Cup was a nice idea, but it's a dead duck at this stage. I think the fact that the two leagues are out of sync with each other has proved too problematic and the novelty of the likes of Linfield and Shams squaring up has long since disappeared. I think the only way to revive it would be to expand it into a Celtic Cup with the inclusion of Welsh and Scottish sides (maybe target non-SPL teams), but that would mean a big increase in travel expenses. Might attract more sponsorship though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

djpbarry wrote: »
    An All-Ireland Cup was a nice idea, but it's a dead duck at this stage. I think the fact that the two leagues are out of sync with each other has proved too problematic and the novelty of the likes of Linfield and Shams squaring up has long since disappeared. I think the only way to revive it would be to expand it into a Celtic Cup with the inclusion of Welsh and Scottish sides (maybe target non-SPL teams), but that would mean a big increase in travel expenses. Might attract more sponsorship though.

Could bring them in if it was a World Cup style thing over 2 weeks 2 groups. Dunno if the fans would go tho.

Ryan and Quigley released by Rovers.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Could bring them in if it was a World Cup style thing over 2 weeks 2 groups. Dunno if the fans would go tho.

I like this idea, midseason break in our season should be extended to allow clubs to play friendlies and for this competition. Maybe try and include a couple of marquee sides, even if they only bring a team mostly of reserves.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Ryan and Quigley released by Rovers.
    Dundalk have made a 50k bid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

is ryan off to canada,

Tuesday, 10 December 2013 09:53
    Richie Ryan and Mark Quigley leave Rovers.

Shamrock Rovers can confirm that Mark Quigley and Richie Ryan have left the club.

Richie Ryan has decided to emigrate to Canada to take up a new opportunity in football; details of this are due to be announced by Richie and his new club in the coming days.

Mark Quigley’s contract with the club has been cancelled by mutual agreement.

Shamrock Rovers would like to wish both players the best for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

hugo29 wrote: »
    is ryan off to canada,

Yes he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Oh man hope Bara seals the Quigs deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rovers Reserve side is shaping up nicely.......

hugo29 wrote: »
    is ryan off to canada,
    Ottawa Fury.

To be fair they have a much cooler name than any of our clubs.

• Advertisement

Not sure I believe two people that told me Quigs is in Sligo today but hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not sure I believe two people that told me Quigs is in Sligo today but hopefully.

This has been said on many days though. Right?

Not to me apart from the cardboard cutouts recently :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I am hearing Millwall player Jack Smith on his way to Shamrock Rovers and Reading's Mikele Leigertwood mulling over move to Sligo, huge deal for Sligo if it happens, this guy was playing premier league last season, although has just recovered from a long-term injury - whenever I saw him play he always looked very slow. Surprised he can't do better than Sligo though

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Didn't hear that. I can tell you that Baraclough is flying over tomorrow, just for the day though.

Wonder what he's up to.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    This has been said on many days though. Right?
    Well he was here for the Ciaran Kelly game a few weeks ago and again one night last week. Last week was the last time a few of the players would be around before Christmas so guess he was up for a few pints.

Richie confirmed for Ottawa Fury. The photo from the article on their website is the best bit.

1386693585_a.jpg&h=309&q=100

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Ottawa Fury.

To be fair they have a much cooler name than any of our clubs.
    But they're a way, way lower standard. They play in a "development league" - most of the players are unpaid.

Bizarre move, unless he's getting some sort of coaching gig out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Richie could easily play in the MLS. There has to be something else to it.

I like this idea, midseason break in our season should be extended to allow clubs to play friendlies and for this competition. Maybe try and include a couple of marquee sides, even if they only bring a team mostly of reserves.
    Yeah, might be worth exploring - even if Celtic sent over a schoolboy side they'd still fill the Aviva. Which is really, really depressing, but might as well use it to the league's advantage.

Yeah, might be worth exploring - even if Celtic sent over a schoolboy side they'd still fill the Aviva. Which is really, really depressing, but might as well use it to the league's advantage.
    Not the case. We've had that before and didn't even half fill Tolka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Not really a break if teams are still playing games ;)

Would clubs have the finances to bring over teams worth watching either?

Not the case. We've had that before and didn't even half fill Tolka
    Really? I seem to recall what was pretty much a schoolboy Liverpool side filling Dalymount not too long ago (three years ago, I think). I assumed a Celtic side would attract even more interest?
    Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Well the idea is that the competition would fund itself through gate receipts, TV money and sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Not anymore.City have played a few Celtic XI's the last few years and we've struggled to get 1500 through the gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Less that 800 in August in Turners Cross!

No one cares about Celtic XIs anymore. TBH, I doubt even their 1st team would fill The Cross anymore.

• Advertisement

These matches get the bar stoolers in however t be following week they don't bother again. Mid season will be during WC so prob harder to get people out too.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Not really a break if teams are still playing games ;)

It's nothing to do with the clubs. They are being invited to compete in a competition. Prizemoney/sponsorship could be potentially increased with a couple of marquee sides in the competition. Two English premier reserve sides along with two from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales would make for an interesting competition. Two groups of four top two in each group going through to semi final and final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

gimmick wrote: »

No one cares about Celtic XIs anymore. TBH, I doubt even their 1st team would fill The Cross anymore.

True.

As part of the Paddy McCourt transfer deal, Derry got 2 games v Celtic thrown in .

2nd never happened as the attendance at the 1st was so poor. I think the tickets were £25 and the fans felt they were getting ripped off, plus not many of the big names played. IIRC even Derry played a reserve team!

Liverpool are definitely a bigger draw than Celtic over here IMO. From coaching kids teams there is always at least half the kids that support Liverpool, I only ever remember 1 or 2 supporting Celtic. The good will may be there towards them but it is definitely United and Liverpool that draw the kids in their thousands

Shams vs Glens
    Crus vs Sligo
    Dundalk vs Col
    Pats vs Ballsomfin

24/2 10/3

Cool new place to go and lose in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Celtic only send the youths to play in Ireland.Cork City played a full strength West Ham and West Brom and Burnley during the summer and got a handy crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

harps squad so far
    Ciaran Coll, James Doherty, Damien McNulty
    Mark Forker, Tommy Bonner, Michael Funston,
    Sean McCarron, Kevin McHugh
    happy mcCarron is staying even if he did go walkabout for a bit. when is head is in the right place he is lethal.

Ciaran Gallagher being linked with Derry along with out ex goal keeping coach Declan McIntyre. (Ciaran Kelly replacing the latter and also assistant manager for us) Gall would be a huge loss though, 21 and already over 100 caps, made a great step up last year. Another year of first team ball might be more good to him than warming Derry's bench as Doherty would still be better than him, hopefully he will give it another year

gimmick wrote: »

NIMAN wrote: »
    As part of the Paddy McCourt transfer deal, Derry got 2 games v Celtic thrown in .

2nd never happened as the attendance at the 1st was so poor.
    Liverpool are definitely a bigger draw than Celtic over here IMO. From coaching kids teams there is always at least half the kids that support Liverpool, I only ever remember 1 or 2 supporting Celtic. The good will may be there towards them but it is definitely United and Liverpool that draw the kids in their thousands
    Fair enough. I had assumed Celtic friendlies were still a big draw in Ireland, but I stand corrected.

Two English premier reserve sides along with two from Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales would make for an interesting competition. Two groups of four top two in each group going through to semi final and final.
    Why not target Scottish sides instead of EPL reserves and try and make it a proper, competitive competition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

But they're a way, way lower standard. They play in a "development league" - most of the players are unpaid.

Bizarre move, unless he's getting some sort of coaching gig out of it.

Must be taking up some player coach role as surely he is good enough to play for one of the 3 Canadian sides in MLS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement