Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AgileMyth wrote: »
    What have they planned for tomorrow? Hooperman lining up fans and kicking them in the testicles is my guess.

It would appear the rumour today is not that, but that the deals are worth around €700k. Which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

If it means another revenue stream for a club then any romantic notions of "grass only" are ridiculous.

AFAIK Dundalk have Oriel booked out every night of the week, and have a nice little earner there.

Not realy a big earner these days tbh.The pitch is in constant use but for the most part it is given free to local summer/winter/mdl/school boy leauge sides for matches and training(the local rugger side and a few GAA sides train there also when the weather is bad).That though is a good thing from the point of view of the club as Oriel Park and therefore DundalkFC are seen in a positive way by the wider football and sporting community in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If it means another revenue stream for a club then any romantic notions of "grass only" are ridiculous.

AFAIK Dundalk have Oriel booked out every night of the week, and have a nice little earner there.

Forgive me for thinking of the actual football side of things, it is a football league after all. It's not a 'romantic' notion at all, 99% of other clubs play on grass.

I wouldn't begrudge any club in their efforts to keep afloat and gain revenue, but not at the cost of actually changing the way the game is played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

St Patrick's Ath ‏@stpatsfc 2m
    More good news as we can confirm that Mark Quigley rejoins the club for 2014!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats confirm signing off Mark Quigley

..........Clarke
    GOB..Oman...Brown....Bermo
    ..........Bolger
    ...Brennan.....Mc Cormack
    Forrester.......................Quigley
    ..................Fagan

Gilmartin
    Byrne
    Hoare
    Durrard
    Byrne
    Kavanagh
    Fitzgerald
    Lynch

**** me thats exciting :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Better off playing Quigs up top. Fenlon played him on the wing and he wasn't a happy camper.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Better off playing Quigs up top. Fenlon played him on the wing and he wasn't a happy camper.

Wont do the work required (imo) to play up front on his own in our system. We are ****ed without Fagan/Bistos workrate and hold up play. Hoping Bisto gets deported soon :D

A lot of pissed off pats fans over this:

210510-2.jpg

Like Killian he used to be a wanker but hes alright now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I remember that tackle, never seen a more blatant red card not given. He was subbed off for his own good a minute later.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Sick tackle possibly the only one i ever seen him make. But he did give me the greatest ever moment of sporting joy ever.

1 minute in that noise when he rounds the keeper :eek::cool:

Nailed on Player of the Year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I remember that tackle, never seen a more blatant red card not given. He was subbed off for his own good a minute later.

not surprised to see the man in charge in the background..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nailed on Player of the Year.

On the bucky tonight? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Heard our offer wasn't even close to Pats'...

Oat23 wrote: »
    Heard our offer wasn't even close to Pats'...

Heard we offered 8 but seemingly he didnt want to live in Sligo. Dunno how true that is but i can understand it.
    On the bucky tonight? :rolleyes:

Will be shortly but its a joke based on the fact the last 2 were let go by Shamrock Rovers, gwan think about it for a bit :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pfft never liked him anyway!! If Buckley plays him on the wing to accommodate Fagan he should be banned from football forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Forrester resigning is very good news. Covers the wings and can play in centre midfield. I hope its the 2007-2008, Dundalk or Sligo Quigley who shows up. If it is its a great signing but if its the one from this year or the lazy one from 2009-2010 then its not so great.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Forrester resigning is very good news. Covers the wings and can play in centre midfield. I hope its the 2007-2008, Dundalk or Sligo Quigley who shows up. If it is its a great signing but if its the one from this year or the lazy one from 2009-2010 then its not so great.

In Bucko we trust.

352????? tried it a few times last season.......

In Bucko we trust.

352????? tried it a few times last season.......

Need another centre back for that. And if one gets injured we're in trouble. I'd say that Quigley will play up front in the 4-3-3. A bit surprised you dropped Byrne in your team. He was fantastic this year.

Need another centre back for that. And if one gets injured we're in trouble. I'd say that Quigley will play up front in the 4-3-3. A bit surprised you dropped Byrne in your team. He was fantastic this year.

Bermo Brown GOB literally **** all cover for Bermo/GOB

Pretty good back 3, yeah left out Byrne cos we got Quigo and assume hes a starter.

Bermo Brown GOB literally **** all cover for Bermo/GOB

Pretty good back 3, yeah left out Byrne cos we got Quigo and assume hes a starter.

Personally I'd think thats a little too weak defensively. Bermo and GOB would be very offensive minded for full backs and with only Browne as cover it just seem a little too weak for me. For example when Juve play 3-5-2 the three are all centre backs. But hey Im not Bucko and In Bucko we trust.

Would rather Quigley play up front myself. wasnt impressed at all with Fagan this year and Durrad is very inexperienced.

Personally I'd think thats a little too weak defensively. Bermo and GOB would be very offensive minded for full backs and with only Browne as cover it just seem a little too weak for me. For example when Juve play 3-5-2 the three are all centre backs. But hey Im not Bucko and In Bucko we trust.

Would rather Quigley play up front myself. wasnt impressed at all with Fagan this year and Durrad is very inexperienced.

Champion problems :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Champion problems :pac::pac::pac:

Full team almost already before Christmas. Have nothing really to complain about. Just an another defender needed now.

Full team almost already before Christmas. Have nothing really to complain about. Just an another defender needed now.

Hoare got a 1st team contract, think we safe there but reckon we will get in another.

Would have liked Drogs CB. Wouldnt be shocked if we signed Douglas from UCD reckon theres a player in him.

Hoare got a 1st team contract, think we safe there but reckon we will get in another.

Would have liked Drogs CB. Wouldnt be shocked if we signed Douglas from UCD reckon theres a player in him.

Yeah would be happy with him. Always need a signing from UCD.We'll need cover for Oman. He got injured a fair bit the last few years. Bohs had a guy Lopes who I thought would have been a good signing either but they resigned him.

Yeah would be happy with him. Always need a signing from UCD.We'll need cover for Oman. He got injured a fair bit the last few years. Bohs had a guy Lopes who I thought would have been a good signing either but they resigned him.

I actually think Hoare will be our 1st choice CB beside Browne by the end of the season.

I have been horrificaly wrong before :D But he looks seriously decent.

I actually think Hoare will be our 1st choice CB beside Browne by the end of the season.

I have been horrificaly wrong before :D But he looks seriously decent.

He'd want to be to replace Kenna and get a place ahead of Oman.

A lot of pissed of pats fans!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

..........Clarke
    ..........Bolger
    ..................Fagan

Gilmartin
    Byrne
    Hoare
    Durrard
    Byrne
    Kavanagh
    Fitzgerald
    Lynch

I'd be finding a way to accommodate Conan Byrne in the starting eleven.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd be finding a way to accommodate Conan Byrne in the starting eleven.

Champion problems peter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Any Sligo Rovers fans making into the Bara Q&A in the shop this eve? Won't make it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

..........Clarke
    ..........Bolger
    ..................Fagan

Gilmartin
    Byrne
    Hoare
    Durrard
    Byrne
    Kavanagh
    Fitzgerald
    Lynch

Looks quality on paper alright but look how Rovers have got on with their STAR squads of last few seasons.

Still think use need to replace Fagan, dont think he is good enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Looks quality on paper alright but look how Rovers have got on with their STAR squads of last few seasons.
    The two Rovers still have the strongest squads by some distance. If they both step up this year, Pats won't have the strength-in-depth to compete, especially if a European run materialises.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Danny Ventre signed for Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good signing for us.

Still think use need to replace Fagan, dont think he is good enough

Fagan wont score us goals but holds the ball up, Bisto did both. We need to replace Bisto unless we going 352.

Wouldnt call that squad star signing more signing players who didnt do well at other clubs. Working for us years now. 14 of our squad here last year which i think is important.

Kenna - Oman
    McFaul - Chambers
    Russell - Lynch
    Gannon - McCormack
    Flood - Quigley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

7 signings made so far by Dunne for Galway. They've been predictable enough. The vast majority of the squad will be. It will mostly be a case of which players Dunne favours himself from Mervue and Salthill.

6 Mervue and 1 Salthill.

The youngest signing is defender Colm Horgan, Daryl Horgan's younger brother. He's only 19 but this will be his fifth season in the First Division. I think he made his debut on his 16 birthday for Devon.

I'd guess that Alan Murphy will sign, Vinny Faherty unless he gets an very decent offer in PD, Derek O'Brien has another season in him and would surely sign if asked. Tom King is a solid player to have but is emigrating apparently. Would be a good addition if he stays around or doesn't stay abroad.

Has to be said though that very little is being offered in terms of wages. I don't know figures at all, but going on rumours that some players were less than happy with offers they received, shows that there will be none of the craic that went on with Sean Connor among others.

Some people think money is there to be thrown around like in 2007/2008, but the Comer sponsorship will be well spent or earmarked at least before wages are being paid out. All the licencing and affiliation costs are a big chunk out of that right away.

The only surprises will be whether the likes of Ryan Manning, a great young prospect, and which few names TD will bring in supplement the local talent. It will be very few.

Whoever he targets, he won't offer them much money, but if they are ambitious lads, they might take a chance on Galway.

I think Dunne adds a legitimacy to Galway FC that Glynn or some other local coach might not have. Dunne has experience in this situation and is completely removed from the local politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Has to be said though that very little is being offered in terms of wages. I don't know figures at all, but going on rumours that some players were less than happy with offers they received, shows that there will be none of the craic that went on with Sean Connor among others.

I think Dunne adds a legitimacy to Galway FC that Glynn or some other local coach might not have. Dunne has experience in this situation and is completely removed from the local politics.
    well when we could entice Liam Martin to us over ye and then Ballinamallard smash our offer your definitely not splashing the cash (thank christ!)

probably a good point on Dunne though, i thought ye were mad passing over Glynn

Harps squad so far
    Defenders:
    P Mailey (returning), J Mailey, Coll, Doc, McNulty

Midfielders:
    Funston, McDaid, Forker, T Bonner

Attackers:
    McHugh, McCarron

Johnny Bonner & keith Cowan also supposed to have/about to sign again
    Gavin Cullen might be coming back too with Ciaran Gallagher still looking derry bound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Casso not staying with Drogs, big loss for them. Interested to see where he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

overshoot wrote: »
    probably a good point on Dunne though, i thought ye were mad passing over Glynn

Many people disagree with me on this but Mervue's performance has to be put in context.

They were challenging Salthill for the wooden spoon until Galway United went tits up.

Nearly all of the best talent that had no county team to aspire to with GUFC's demise that didn't leave Galway ended up at Mervue, giving them a decent FD team.

The quality of this season's First Division was probably the worst since its creation.

Glynn is a good manager, with an eye for a player. He is not the miracle worker people seem to see him as. He had a good season with a squad roughly on a par with those around them.

Gary Shanahan was a great capture for them. Ryan Manning is young (17), but very talented and played more than everyone except Jay Molloy, who himself is well able for the First Division.

Sinnott, Molloy, King and Curran have lots of Premier Division experience between them. They are a very good core to have. The other lads, even if they weren't all decent FD players, they had the experience of playing in it for a few years.

I have my problems with Galway FC, but the outcry from some people in local football circles when Glynn wasn't shortlisted/withdrew/whatever was a joke. What a load of nonsense.

Might be a striker named soon for Sligo Rovers, from what I heard at the Q&A, I wasn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Derry tried to sign Ivan Sproule.

Didn't Roddy say he had no interest in Quigley because he was too old and would be after big money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Casso not staying with Drogs, big loss for them. Interested to see where he ends up.

I'd be happy to have him back in Oriel. Would struggle to get in to our first 11 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Might be a striker named soon for Sligo Rovers, from what I heard at the Q&A, I wasn't there.

Jesus Christ, do not start this again. Someone got lynched here for saying that an unnamed striker might be signing for them over the close season.

gimmick wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, do not start this again. Someone got lynched here for saying that an unnamed striker might be signing for them over the close season.

Its Unamed hes alegerian.

Calm down, Bara admitted interest in a striker and may sign. If it some someone in Tesco arcade saying we were after a striker is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Calm down, Bara admitted interest in a striker and may sign. If it some someone in Tesco arcade saying we were after a striker is a different matter.

If a potential new striker wasn't spotted in Centra then it's not true

• Advertisement

Henlars67 wrote: »
    If a potential new striker wasn't spotted in Centra then it's not true

or a cardboard cut out of a striker !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Derry tried to sign Ivan Sproule.

Didn't Roddy say he had no interest in Quigley because he was too old and would be after big money?

Roddy spoke to Sproule, but he chose Linfield instead, probably offered more money and less of a challenge for him;)

Think Quigley was hinted as being a mercenary, and Roddy said he didn't want those types of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

1467398_563144997100284_1543652233_n.jpg

New away jersey, safe to say it will be my first Macron jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Its Unamed hes alegerian.

whats he alergic to??????

1467398_563144997100284_1543652233_n.jpg

New away jersey, safe to say it will be my first Macron jersey!

Thats a nice jersey.

whats he alergic to??????

Thinking of that 7 hours now aint yah? Was wondering who would be 1st to post it didnt think it would be you tho :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement