Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder what swung it for him if, as he claims, he turned down bigger money elsewhere? Might get a coaching role at Inchicore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

doncarlos wrote: »
    Fancied Pats to walk the league before the signing of Quigley. Now with Fahey on board also they are surely unstoppable.
    Wouldn't say that now. Fahey's a very good player but he's only played a handful of games since the start of 2012/13 season. Still big question marks over his fitness you'd imagine. He's due back in Feb or March so even if he does stay fit you'd imagine it'll take him a while to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

When did he last play for Ireland? Was he in the last squad before his injury problems began?

Wondering if we might finally see a LOI player in the NT now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wish him well. Fine player.

Bad news for rest of us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Very surprised they've pulled that one off.

Can we have Coleman back now too?

Hope Lee Lynch wasn't moving for first team opportunities, thats the biggest collection of centre midfielders in the history of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AgileMyth wrote: »

Hope Lee Lynch wasn't moving for first team opportunities, thats the biggest collection of centre midfielders in the history of football.

This:

Assuming its Fahey for Russell as opposed to Lynch for Russell.

He seems to be the one that loses out.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This:

Assuming its Fahey for Russell as opposed to Lynch for Russell.

He seems to be the one that loses out.
    The Russell/Fahey/Lynch position is also where Quigley plays best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Very surprised they've pulled that one off.
    Not really. The guy's hardly played any football for two years now. I'm guessing most clubs across the water weren't prepared to take a chance on him, so he's obviously thinking that by coming back to Pats, he's getting the chance to prove his fitness and, potentially, put himself in the shop window again in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is his tab for McDowells or Tom Taveys?

• Advertisement

The Russell/Fahey/Lynch position is also where Quigley plays best

Methinks Quigley is our main striker now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Oat23 wrote: »
    When did he last play for Ireland? Was he in the last squad before his injury problems began?
    He started against Germany in LR when they hammered us last year in Oct.

The end of March was the last time he played for Brum.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Wondering if we might finally see a LOI player in the NT now.

Highly unlikely imo. IF he proves his fitness and IF he has a very good run until June, he'll be off to England again. He might then be considered for Ireland, depending on where he ended up.

Fahey's isn't over the hill yet, but I'd imagine Martin O'Neill would hesitate to bring him in over giving younger players a chance. All hypothetical. He needs to recover fully from injury first and stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Great coup for the league getting Fahey back, I can only see it being good for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

colly_06 wrote: »
    Great coup for the league getting Fahey back, I can only see it being good for the league.

But really just Pats.

Is his tab for McDowells or Tom Taveys?

Drink??? FFS

Replace Lady with Junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Lynch loaned home to Limerick? :) That'd be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lynch loaned home to Limerick? :) That'd be nice.

I hope so. It's a horrible situation for him. He left Sligo to get more games presumably and he ends up at the club that signs Quigs and Fahey. I'd be asking for a loan if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

May I be the first to question the SPAs business model that allows them to afford these players, and be the first to predict their ultimate demise?

In all seriousness, are there any pats fans that would rather see this money being invested in the club in other ways, either through improving facilities or youth schemes etc. It's hard to take for some rovers fans not to be spending on big name players, but at least, to their credit, they're redirecting funds to development of youth and reserve teams. Although, I believe in Faheys case, rovers did offer more money; but for all the other players that have left or were missed out on, rovers refused to pay what the players thought they were worth...maybe it'll pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Fantastic signing for St Pats, will help with their Champions League effort if Keith stays fit. He was sublime against Hertha Berlin, Elfsborg et al a number of years ago. Should help put bums on seats also as he is a legend in Inchicore. Really puts if up to the other title challengers.

In all seriousness, are there any pats fans that would rather see this money being invested in the club in other ways, either through improving facilities or youth schemes etc.
    Of course there are. Kelleher promised all sorts when he took over the club and while Richer’s definitely in a better state now than it was before his arrival, I still don’t trust the guy. That said, I don’t think Pats are throwing cash around in quite the manner some seem to think (Bucko’s got a knack for picking up talented players when their stock has dipped and then getting the best out of them).
    ...but for all the other players that have left or were missed out on, rovers refused to pay what the players thought they were worth...
    There’s no way Pats offered Kenna more than Rovers did. Ditto with Chambers and O’Connor last year. In the case of Chamber’s return and McCormack, it was more a case of them being offloaded by Rovers than Pats winning any sort of bidding war.

May I be the first to question the SPAs business model that allows them to afford these players, and be the first to predict their ultimate demise?

In all seriousness, are there any pats fans that would rather see this money being invested in the club in other ways, either through improving facilities or youth schemes etc. It's hard to take for some rovers fans not to be spending on big name players, but at least, to their credit, they're redirecting funds to development of youth and reserve teams. Although, I believe in Faheys case, rovers did offer more money; but for all the other players that have left or were missed out on, rovers refused to pay what the players thought they were worth...maybe it'll pay off.

We have less players than last year.

But the secret to all is:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-gets-125m-debt-writeoff-on-aviva-29863091.html
    However, continued negotiations -- in which businessman Dermot Desmond and owner of St Patrick's Athletic Garrett Kelleher had been "very helpful" -- brought the deal to a successful conclusion.

2 penos and 2 red vs Rovers
    1 peno and 1 red vs Sligo
    2 goal head start for Shels........

• Advertisement

However, continued negotiations -- in which businessman Dermot Desmond and owner of St Patrick's Athletic Garrett Kelleher had been "very helpful" -- brought the deal to a successful conclusion.
    Yep - don't trust the guy, at all.

We have less players than last year.

10 players on €100 or 1 player on €1,000, what's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Heard on Christmas Eve from a Bohs fan that Stephen Rice may be returning to Bohs??? Good signing if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

If Lee Lynch was available for loan for the season, I'd love to see him back at Drogheda.

10 players on €100 or 1 player on €1,000, what's the difference?

Oddly Shels are. You being relegated creates a vacuum for any decent player who wants to play in Dublin us and Bohs reaping rewards from it.

The Fahey signing worries me if our crowds dont increase on the back of it. Other than that i am happy enough could do with a left sided centreback but think the 2 under 19s lads will be 1st teamers with the intention of playing. They are quite handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Darren O'Dea for St. Pats.

They're going to be broke in no time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CSF wrote: »
    They're going to be broke in no time.

I doubt Pats could match anything he could get abroad. He's supposed to be in the first year of a three year contract also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Wasn't he the most highly paid defender in the MLS a couple of seasons ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I would be worried if we pulled that signing off. Not on the pitch he would more than likely be one of the best players on the pitch but finance wise I cant see us affording him with our crowds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dan1895 wrote: »
    Wasn't he the most highly paid defender in the MLS a couple of seasons ago?

Most highly paid non "designated player" I think.

So nowhere near the likes of Nesta, Beckham, Henry, Donovan, etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Seaneh wrote: »
    Most highly paid non "designated player" I think.

So nowhere near the likes of Nesta, Beckham, Henry, Donovan, etc.

To be fair, he did say "the most highly paid defender".

Don't get me wrong though, one would imagine that you'd still be right with the Nesta example. :)

Also, for what it's worth, I certainly can't imagine Darren O'Dea being anywhere near the "most highly paid defender" unless there were certain criteria that only a select few actually fall into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

He was actually being paid 3 times what Nesta was as by the time Nesta decided to take a trip stateside all the designated spots where gone and most teams had their budgets spent so Nesta was on a modest 100K.

Very surprised if we have the money to afford his wage on top of those already signed.

Was just thinking there was a shortage of stupid rumours this season, O'Dea to Pats fills the void nicely.

Always thought Marty Waters was decent. He'll be a great signing for Pats next season.

Rumours Fahey is on €1,500 a week!!!! :O :O

I had thought it would be even more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Bargain if true, considering you had average players on a lot higher than that not so long ago.

Bargain if true, considering you had average players on a lot higher than that not so long ago.
    Dundalk fans idea of a bargain is obviously skewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Kieran Marty Waters confirmed as a Shamrock Rovers player this morning. Delighted ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Was just thinking there was a shortage of stupid rumours this season, O'Dea to Pats fills the void nicely.

1484145_337263083081616_74941266_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk fans idea of a bargain is obviously skewed.

€1500 for a current international that has been playing premier league and Championship football in recent seasons. Eh yes that's a bargain and a whole lot less than Pat's were paying for players not so long ago.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that there a few players on higher wages than him in the league. Wasn't the rumour Kenna was offered €1200 by Rovers? I have no doubts that Sligo are paying decent money to players too. They are not going to relocate the other side of the country for an extra €50 a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

€1500 for a current international that has been playing premier league and Championship football in recent seasons. Eh yes that's a bargain and a whole lot less than Pat's were paying for players not so long ago.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that there a few players on higher wages than him in the league. Wasn't the rumour Kenna was offered €1200 by Rovers? I have no doubts that Sligo are paying decent money to players too. They are not going to relocate the other side of the country for an extra €50 a week

Well you can buy a house there for €200 so the living costs are much less

• Advertisement

The Star said it was 1200 a week for Fahey which is fair enough as long as 500 more people go to a game every week.

We shall see.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The Star said it was 1200 a week for Fahey which is fair enough as long as 500 more people go to a game every week.

We shall see.......

Theres no way Fahey is going to add 500 to Pats gate every week

When they were top of thr league for the majority of last season, they could barely add an extra 500

Cant see Fahey being "a big name" thats going to get people out to watch pats

Cant see Fahey being "a big name" thats going to get people out to watch pats
    Darren O'Dea on the other hand...

Things have changed. You can get quality footballers for a lot less now than a couple of years back.

Shams were paying Richie 1100 per week so I assume thats what all their highest earners are on.

1500 for a player whos been injured for two years is a major risk for a club getting the crowds Pats do, regardless of how good he can be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

djpbarry wrote: »
    Darren O'Dea on the other hand...

Darren O'Dea will not be going to Pats plus he isnt a big name either

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement