Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

doncarlos wrote: »
    I have no doubts that Sligo are paying decent money to players too. They are not going to relocate the other side of the country for an extra €50 a week
    Who do you think we have on big money? Can't think of any of our players who were particularly sought after before coming here and they're all on less money now than last year.

Every time we've looked for a sought after player hes got a better offer elsewhere. Shams, Pats and Dundalk are all outbidding us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bargain if true, considering you had average players on a lot higher than that not so long ago.

Sure Jayo and Crowe were on 1k or thereabouts with us, look at us now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AgileMyth wrote: »

Every time we've looked for a sought after player hes got a better offer elsewhere. Shams, Pats and Dundalk are all outbidding us.

Not sure either of us were entertained in most offers, player saying Sligo offered X doesnt mean Sligo did offer X. Altho funny as it is when posted in the Rumours thread :pac:

Quigley and I assume Lynch the only ones we have both offered something and not sure if you actually offered Lynch anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Darren O'Dea will not be going to Pats plus he isnt a big name either

Someone needs to switch on their sarcasm detector! :) :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Who do you think we have on big money? Can't think of any of our players who were particularly sought after before coming here and they're all on less money now than last year.

Who are Dundalk outbidding yee on ? :rolleyes: Names on the back of a stamp please.

Who are Dundalk outbidding yee on ? :rolleyes: Names on the back of a stamp please.
    We spoke to Towell before he joined ye last season. We spoke to Horgan this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

We spoke to Towell before he joined ye last season. We spoke to Horgan this year.

That does not mean we have outbid you though! Location close to Dublin etc... is a factor in us signing players id imagine

Outbid is the word i need.

Shels were first on Towells case lads, then Rovers, Pats, etc... started sniffing! ;)

Shels were first on Towells case lads, then Rovers, Pats, etc... started sniffing! ;)

He said when he signed for us last year, he could have went to Shamrock Rovers but things didnt feel right about that move (wise man it seems)

• Advertisement

Actually I believe we spoke to him mid way through the previous season when he was here with the Ireland U-21 squad. Couldn't afford him though.

I'm sure he turned down Shams, Shels and Pats because Dundalk is close to Dublin though.

Actually I believe we spoke to him mid way through the previous season when he was here with the Ireland U-21 squad. Couldn't afford him though.

I'm sure he turned down Shams, Shels and Pats because Dundalk is close to Dublin though.

Im sure he choose Dundalk because of who the manager is and his plans for the club etc...not just a few pound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

marwelie wrote: »
    Kieran Marty Waters confirmed as a Shamrock Rovers player this morning. Delighted ;)

What a name.
    So is he called "Kieran" or "Marty"? It's hardly "Kieran Marty" is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

bohsboy wrote: »
    What a name.
    So is he called "Kieran" or "Marty"? It's hardly "Kieran Marty" is it?

Marty, and gutted he's gone but prob won't be the first disappointing news I hear before March :P Fair play to him all the same! Stepped into Jake Kelly's void and look how he got on.

Weres all the high horse concern for Pats signing all these players that there was when Dundalk signed Horgan?
    Hope yee dont go broke being the pick of the comments then.No high horses for Pats.?

Weres all the high horse concern for Pats signing all these players that there was when Dundalk signed Horgan?
    Hope yee dont go broke being the pick of the comments then.No high horses for Pats.?

League Money, Euro Money plus Jake Carroll money. Actually league money may get us a chicken roll and a can of coke. But the other 2 would be 300kish

Devlin leaves bray dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing. is he leaving the club completley or just as manager?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    League Money, Euro Money plus Jake Carroll money. Actually league money may get us a chicken roll and a can of coke. But the other 2 would be 300kish

Devlin leaves bray dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing. is he leaving the club completley or just as manager?

Then why say Dundalk could be in trouble etc... when their owners are all millionaires who are all big Dundalk fans this years, debts are getting cleared and Fyffes are helping pay at least 1 players wages?

Then why say Dundalk could be in trouble etc... when their owners are all millionaires who are all big Dundalk fans this years, debts are getting cleared and Fyffes are helping pay at least 1 players wages?

Did i say anything about Dundalk seems your in the same boat as us except we have earned money to spend?

Only thing that pisses me off about Dundalk is the pitch. :pac: Any chance its getting relaid or repaired?

Did i say anything about Dundalk seems your in the same boat as us except we have earned money to spend?

Only thing that pisses me off about Dundalk is the pitch. :pac: Any chance its getting relaid or repaired?

Was talk about the pitch getting changed, i know the new owners were looking at it but Id day costs on how much it would cost to change and how much revenue it is losing
    Its €120 for a 90 minute game for the local Winter league, with at least 5 per week on it plus its used by many groups for just a game and think that costs €150
    prob pays 2 players wages throughout the season with little maintenance needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Outbid is the word i need.

You outbid Shamrock Rovers on both players, and we're actually in dublin ;) I assume Sligo are offering similar to us for players, or so it seems.

Devlin was never "manager", he was director of football due to agent activities. I'd assume it means he is leaving the club in general...nearly sure about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm fairly sure you missed me straight out stating that St Pats are going to go to the wall then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Was talk about the pitch getting changed, i know the new owners were looking at it but Id day costs on how much it would cost to change and how much revenue it is losing
    Its €120 for a 90 minute game for the local Winter league, with at least 5 per week on it plus its used by many groups for just a game and think that costs €150
    prob pays 2 players wages throughout the season with little maintenance needed

It needs a bit of maintenance but your club don't bother doing it. It's a joke that it is allowed in the league as it is not kept properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The new plans for the Brandywell redevelopment include a 4G pitch too.

Understandably, a lot of fans aren't too keen on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's a joke that it is allowed in the league as it is not kept properly.

Should the same apply to grass pitches?

Ebbs wrote: »
    You outbid Shamrock Rovers on both players, and we're actually in dublin ;) I assume Sligo are offering similar to us for players, or so it seems.

Towell: Last year Pat's offered a higher contract but Dundalk offered longer. Didn't hear Rovers even offered a contract. Towell was offered a larger contract this year which is being subsidised by a multibillion euro company. Have heard it at least matched Rovers but may have been higher.

Horgan: Contract offer was lower than Rovers offered. He felt that playing at Dundalk was better for his career.
    I'd imagine it wasn't a whole lot lower as at the end of the day money talks.

• Advertisement

Towell: Last year Pat's offered a higher contract but Dundalk offered longer. Didn't hear Rovers even offered a contract. Towell was offered a larger contract this year which is being subsidised by a multibillion euro company.
    If he was given a long contract last year why are ye giving him more money this season?

If he was given a long contract last year why are ye giving him more money this season?

He was paid longer not a two season. We paid him from when he signed his contract in January rather than March when Pats were going to pay him. It's what swayed his signing for us.

He was paid longer not a two season. We paid him from when he signed his contract in January rather than March when Pats were going to pay him. It's what swayed his signing for us.
    So you offered him more money than Pats. This **** is quite simple. Even footballers can work it out.

Should the same apply to grass pitches?

There is. Shels had to play a match in Home Farm a few years back against Limerick due to the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

NIMAN wrote: »
    The new plans for the Brandywell redevelopment include a 4G pitch too.

Understandably, a lot of fans aren't too keen on this.

Least they'll get a good reception in their first game :pac:

• Advertisement

So you offered him more money than Pats. This **** is quite simple. Even footballers can work it out.

Its this simple

Eg. If he was to be given 25000 over 40 weeks is 625 per week
    25000 over 52 weeks its 480 odd a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Talk of Kevin Braniff to Sligo Rovers, its early days I believe and unlikely to come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Can't see us paying for him.

red sean wrote: »
    Can't see us paying for him.

Hes free in Jan.

There is. Shels had to play a match in Home Farm a few years back against Limerick due to the pitch.

Was that because the pitch was unplayable or simply played bad? I don't remember a match being moved due to a bumpy, uneven, sandy pitch etc.

We all agree there is no substitute for a good grass pitch. However I've seen some really terrible grass pitches over the years including Tolka on numerous occasions.

Offered more over a longer period but less per week. This is fairly common knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Danny Morrissey has resigned with City for 2014. Lad had a number of trials in England with Blackburn, Bournemouth and Wigan I think, but it didnt work out. We'll be very lucky to get the full season out of him though cause he will end up in England sooner rather than later. Saying that, this is the best bit of business we have done so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

CHealy wrote: »
    Danny Morrissey has resigned with City for 2014. Lad had a number of trials in England with Blackburn, Bournemouth and Wigan I think, but it didnt work out. We'll be very lucky to get the full season out of him though cause he will end up in England sooner rather than later. Saying that, this is the best bit of business we have done so far.

Score. Best signing so far anyway.

I thought Huddersfield were the closest to signing him. Anyway, it's just a shame we probably won't be reuniting the Morrissey/Kilduff partnership next season.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Score. Best signing so far anyway.

I thought Huddersfield were the closest to signing him. Anyway, it's just a shame we probably won't be reuniting the Morrissey/Kilduff partnership next season.

Sorry ya it was Huddersfield instead of Wigan. Deal fell through there, rumours that they thought he was still a bit too light, he is very slender but thats only off season talk.

We certainly dont need Kilduff now. With Danny and Elding up front that should be our strikers sorted. Kilduff was never going to be let sign anyway, its almost a shame he played so well for us on his loan spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sorry ya it was Huddersfield instead of Wigan. Deal fell through there, rumours that they thought he was still a bit too light, he is very slender but thats only off season talk.

We certainly dont need Kilduff now. With Danny and Elding up front that should be our strikers sorted. Kilduff was never going to be let sign anyway, its almost a shame he played so well for us on his loan spell.

Any word of you letting Furlong out on loan?

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »

Have heard nothing about him actually, the forgotten man unfortunately. I really feel for the guy cause of what was happening in his personal life, but he really wasnt upto the level and struggled big time. Went on loan to Waterford for the second half of last season and didnt make any impact. When we also sign O'Sullivan from Avondale down here, he will be our 5th choice striker, so make of that what you will.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Have heard nothing about him actually, the forgotten man unfortunately. I really feel for the guy cause of what was happening in his personal life, but he really wasnt upto the level and struggled big time. Went on loan to Waterford for the second half of last season and didnt make any impact. When we also sign O'Sullivan from Avondale down here, he will be our 5th choice striker, so make of that what you will.

And on that note Danny has just tweeted in the last half hour that he has terminated his contract with City. Best for both parties I feel.

And on that note Danny has just tweeted in the last half hour that he has terminated his contract with City. Best for both parties I feel.

Absolutely. It really just didn't work out for him at all. Hopefully he'll get a slot in one of the 'lesser' Division 1 clubs. Join Davin at Cobh Ramblers maybe?!! :D Best of luck to him anyway, he's had a fairly tough couple of years all things considered.

There's not a Youths fan out there that doesn't wish Danny all the best, so long as he doesn't go go to the Blaas. He might as well play for us for nothing rather than play for them and not get his wages paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

When we also sign O'Sullivan from Avondale down here, he will be our 5th choice striker, so make of that what you will.
    Has marky Sull signed?

A bad list at that tbh. Half the transfers aren't on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A bad list at that tbh. Half the transfers aren't on it.

Not being smart, but I couldn't see what was missing or where there is a better list...

Not being smart, but I couldn't see what was missing or where there is a better list...

I don't know about lists, but if you follow LOI forums, you'll see that there have been a lot more transfers than that

• Advertisement

Just glanced at it, but Jack Memery is missing from Bohs IN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement