Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

awec wrote: »
    Is he a goalscoring striker, or the sort that needs 10 chances to get 1 goal?
    Wouldn't call him clinical as he tends to miss quite a few but in saying that he hasn't been given a regular starting spot in quite a while now and it's probably not fair to judge him on a handful of sub appearances. I had high hopes for him years ago but he's never quite fulfilled that promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pighead wrote: »
    I had high hopes for him years ago but he's never quite fulfilled that promise.
    I remember when he first appeared in 2007 and broke into the Ireland under-age setup there were big things expected of him. Hasn't really come on much since unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

major bill wrote: »
    Alan Matthews????

How does this eijet continue to get work in this league?

****ing spoofer

Mathews is an ok manager. Things went badly wrong at Shels, but if every manager was judged on their worst season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Mathews is an ok manager. Things went badly wrong at Shels, but if every manager was judged on their worst season...
    ...Matthews would still be bottom of the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dire manager and dire attitude! Full blown bluffer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Higgins to Dundalk a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bray-civil-war-not-my-fight-reveals-alan-mathews-29909916.html

Looking forwards to devlons press release, you know its going to be car crash material.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭SportingFun

Wexford announced 17 players today
    Graham Doyle
    Craig McCabe
    Jimmy Dermody
    Stephen Last
    CJ Browne
    Shane Nolan
    Shane Dunne
    Ricky Fox
    Craig Wall
    Eric Molloy
    Rocks Keenan
    Sean Skelly
    Danny Fitz
    Daragh Walshe
    Danny Furlong
    Dean Broaders
    Graham Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

In fairness to Mathews he brought us to the four cup finals in two years, winning three. You can't fuck with that.

Never liked his style of ball though.

In fairness to Mathews he brought us to the four cup finals in two years, winning three. You can't fuck with that.

Never liked his style of ball though.

He overspent on a couple of journeymen, and was deluded to think we were going for a 4th place spot...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Danny Furlong

Happy to see he got something sorted closer to home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

NIMAN wrote: »
    Higgins to Dundalk a done deal.

Higgins signing to be confirmed tomorrow is the word around the Town today

Keith Ward back training with us aswell along with Simon Kelly (can play anywere across back or midfield) and Conor McDonald from our U-19 side.

Higgins plus them 3 will be our final squad id imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There are 3/4 more key players on the brink of signing and Shane Keegan is confident that this will be his strongest squad during 3 years in charge. Personally, I think if we had kept 2 of the 6 players lost to Waterford, we would be in the mix at the end of the season. We rebuild from scratch most years but we've kept the spine of the team this time.

Conor Murphy (Bohs) and Robert Gaul (Salthill) both signed up for 2014 with us. Say the average age of our squad is about 22.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Murphy was pretty poor whenever he got a game for us. Didn't get a spot consistently though I suppose.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Conor Murphy (Bohs) and Robert Gaul (Salthill) both signed up for 2014 with us. Say the average age of our squad is about 22.

Gaul was one of the better Devon players when I was going to see them in Drom. Is he in college or have a job over there? Would have thought he would have been a player for Galway FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Murphy didnt play very much for us and the few times he played he wasnt very good. He was a flop at Bohs aswell.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Gaul was one of the better Devon players when I was going to see them in Drom. Is he in college or have a job over there? Would have thought he would have been a player for Galway FC.

From Swords people think, and he was over in the West for college possibly.

Ah, that would certainly make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The thing with Matthews is that he lost the fans by calling them a bunch of cúnts, pretty much destroying the squad by filling it with players who asked fans to meet them after friendly games for a fight and instilling a sense of pretty bad indiscipline, there was a stage at the beginning of last season where we had a man sent off in near enough every game.

That was down the the manager and the players he brought in.

He put that squad together and then proclaimed that it was top 4 material. Deluded wasn't the word.

Then when it was obvious what was happening - the players weren't playing for him, there was a poisonous atmosphere at every game, home and away, results were getting worse - and he knew the club couldn't afford to sack him, he held on for about a month more than he had any right to.

Yes, he took us up into the Premier, had us in cup finals, but he also took us back down (the relegation was squarely his fault (and the board, but that's another story)) and made a mockery of the club.

We'll be back, but with absolutely no thanks to that man.

I used to like Bray Wanderers, and I hope they realise quickly what this appointment means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bray-civil-war-not-my-fight-reveals-alan-mathews-29909916.html

Looking forwards to devlons press release, you know its going to be car crash material.

2 o'clock today I read somewhere...

destroying the squad by filling it with players who asked fans to meet them after friendly games for a fight

That was the first League game actually, would have loved to see it! Bayly probably wouldn't have been playing ball again.

That was the first League game actually, would have loved to see it! Bayly probably wouldn't have been playing ball again.

Yes, in Bray of all places.

Of course, in Bray of all places.

Already a fixture clash!

Sun 16th March

2 p.m Shamrock Rovers Women's vs Peamount United
    3 p.m Shamrock Rovers "B" vs Finn Harps

Do the SR women play in Tallaght?

http://www.airtricityleague.ie/images/2014-Season-Airtricity-League-First-Division-Fixture-List.pdf

Least I've a couple of months still left to get my full license :(

https://twitter.com/paulohehir

Some updates fro Pat Devlins press conference.

Welcome to the world of every team outside of Leinster in both leagues. Wouldnt have it any other way though, makes for some serious bus trips.

• Advertisement

Already a fixture clash!

Sun 16th March

That should be SRW vs Galway WFC, not Peamount
    Do the SR women play in Tallaght?

They do, yeah

FAI PRESS RELEASE

FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

President’s Cup fixture finalised

The inaugural President’s Cup match between 2013 Airtricity League Premier Division champions St Patrick’s Athletic and 2013 FAI Ford Cup winners St Patrick’s Athletic will take place on Sunday, March 2, at Richmond Park with a 4pm kick-off.

In the event of the scores being level after 90 minutes of play, the winners of the Cup will be decided on a penalty-shoot out. Please note that extra-time will not be played.

Uachtaráin na hÉireann, President Michael D Higgins, has presented the trophy that the teams will be playing for on the day and his gesture has been warmly welcomed by the Chairman of the National League Executive Committee, Eamon Naughton.

“President Higgins support for the Airtricity League and Irish soccer is deeply appreciated and the introduction of the President’s Cup will provide us with an exciting game between the league champions and cup winners to start each new season,” said Mr Naughton.

The Director of the Airtricity League Fran Gavin said: “President Higgins is a huge supporter of our game and takes the time out from his busy schedule to go to games and meet players, officials and supporters. He is really behind this idea and the game will also have a charitable aspect to it.”

ENDS

Issued by:

Gerry McDermott
    Communications Department
    Football Association of Ireland

Get in......playing our B team and we won the cup last year :D

Jordan Keegan and John Sullivan signed for us today. Average age of the squad is 21 but I'm happy enough. Lacking any keepers and a couple of defenders. Rumours of late last season Greg Murray and today of Darren Quigley in goal, Brian Shortall possibly staying with us if he passes a medical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Already a fixture clash!

Sun 16th March

half hour each way, be grand:pac:

CHealy wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of every team outside of Leinster in both leagues. Wouldnt have it any other way though, makes for some serious bus trips.

Been there done it for the few years we were down there, granted at that I was in school and then a part-time working student. Now I'm full time working and have very little intention to forfeit a shed load of holidays to go to the back arse of Cobh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Been there done it for the few years we were down there, granted at that I was in school and then a part-time working student. Now I'm full time working and have very little intention to forfeit a shed load of holidays to go to the back arse of Cobh!
    I've arranged so that I work Sunday-Thursday purely so I don't have to miss games or take a day off every second week.

It'd be much easier if everyone played on Saturdays.

• Advertisement

True that, and Cobh is an awful kip to make matters worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cobh still play Saturdays, so anyone who has a proper job ie Mon - fri 9-5 could get there no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Worst trip I was ever on was to Cobh. They played us off the park. Jeff Kenna playing himself when he was a liability... One of the lads never made it home with us that night, he was so tired and emotional. Landed back in Galway the next evening. I "knew" we were relegated that night. Of course we ended up beating UCD away on the last night of the season to stay up. That said, they had a nice cosy little bar, nice Beamish and very friendly people at the club to greet us. Ground is a fairly basic otherwise, but wasn't in bad repair either.

Last time we played down there years ago we had the local welcoming committee. The guards knowing all the young lads names was priceless, saying they'll tell their mothers.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Cobh still play Saturdays, so anyone who has a proper job ie Mon - fri 9-5 could get there no problem.

Not according to the fixture list, how sure are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not according to the fixture list, how sure are you?

They have played at home on Saturdays always. Very rarely a friday as they want to avoid clashing with CCFC matches as CCFC fans with feck all else to do make up a nice portion of their gate.

I would be very surprised if they change it this season.

EDIT: Looking at the fixtures, it would seem the game on June 13th is there to accomodate the mid season break from 14th-27th as pretty much all their other home games are Saturday. You also play them Oct 11, which is a Saturday.

• Advertisement

They have played at home on Saturdays always. Very rarely a friday as they want to avoid clashing with CCFC matches as CCFC fans with feck all else to do make up a nice portion of their gate.

I would be very surprised if they change it this season.

EDIT: Looking at the fixtures, it would seem the game on June 13th is there to accomodate the mid season break from 14th-27th as pretty much all their other home games are Saturday. You also play them Oct 11, which is a Saturday.

Feck. Oct 11th is due to it being the last round of League games though.

If your trying to stay away from the pints on a Saturday night its a good way to keep occupied. I went down three or four times last year and every match out did each other with goals and sending offs. There was a Mervue match there mid season it ended something like 5-3 with two sending offs and three penalties, it was nuts.

Only fifteen minutes on the train from Kent aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Feck. Oct 11th is due to it being the last round of League games though.

Cobh have always played on Saturdays Gav.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Cobh have always played on Saturdays Gav.

Yeah, any time I've been down it's been a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

pat sullivan signed for longford

Jordan Keegan and John Sullivan signed for us today. Average age of the squad is 21 but I'm happy enough. Lacking any keepers and a couple of defenders. Rumours of late last season Greg Murray and today of Darren Quigley in goal, Brian Shortall possibly staying with us if he passes a medical.

An Athlone fan on foot.ie saying Jordan Keegan is with them for pre-season, even after our players confirmed he's signed. :confused:

Does Dodge still post on here? Deluded, supposedly Dundalk are the only team paying a players a 52-week contract.......Conan Byrne!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

An Athlone fan on foot.ie saying Jordan Keegan is with them for pre-season, even after our players confirmed he's signed. :confused:

There's one Athlone fan talking an awful lot of rubbish over there since they started picking up form in the second half of last season. I'd take all he says with plenty of salt.

There's one Athlone fan talking an awful lot of rubbish over there since they started picking up form in the second half of last season. I'd take all he says with plenty of salt.

Can't say I'm an avid reader, just bored in work with 10 mins to kill! :pac:

Galacticos :D

I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

flas wrote: »
    pat sullivan signed for longford
    Hope they're not pushing the boat out too much for him. Big name signing even if he is a terrible footballer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement