Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

What about Sligo's budget? :eek: Is there any concern from any of the Sligo lads on here about the money the club is spending and the possibility that it may put the club in jeopardy in a couple of years? Should Sligo be putting any money they have to better use? Is there any chance in getting a sensible response to these questions?

I see the Shams fans are lapping it up still. I think our budgeting is fine and we aren't spending any more on wages than we were 2 seasons ago just that we have a smaller squad this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Its hardly lapping it up in fairness is it? There have been some silly financial decisions made by clubs in the recent history of the league, our club included. All that has been said is very sensible with the view that nobody wants the current situation to continue with clubs going up and down like a yoyo following a "business" play of suicide budgeting.

I wouldn't want to see any club go bust or over extend themselves so I really do hope that every team in the league is now properly budgeting and cutting their cloth to fit. That goes for Derry, Sligo, Pats everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Mac Allister played last 15 minutes vs Villa.

****ed up twice for villas 3rd goal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

are budget is the same as last years if not a bit more.all the players were offered reduced terms for this season.if you look we have only 11 players.with us being one of the only full time clubs left in the country of course were going to be linked with loads of players.the club is being run the best it ever has being.(waits for people to use the claims of cash under the table and no tickets to see the game) we have sold more season tickets in december than we did all last year.the 400 club is not far away from 500 members.the suporters trust have a €2 a week scheme that has being running for the last season or two that has being very popular.we have a new general manager that came on board near the end of last season,whose main job is to increase advertising which seem to be very reasonable.they can be found on the club website.wont know for definitive if we broke even or made a small profit till the annual agm in around march.i hope that was sensible response for you.

I genuinely hope you're right. What this league needs more than anything is a period of stability and I'm also all in favour of strong regional clubs, especially in GAA heartlands ;). It does seem strange though that Sligo are able to outbid clubs with seemingly better resources. This plus the fact that it was just 2 years ago, that Sligo had the begging bowl out...

"SLIGO ROVERS FUTURE IN DOUBT DUE TO FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES
    Jul 15 2008

An emergency General Meeting was held last evening between members & board of managemnet at Sligo Rovers last night where the financial situation of the club was discussed. The meeting focused on the future of Premier Division football in Sligo and the club's immediate viability. The club needs to raise €130,000 to stay adrift. Two fundrasing ideas were put forward by the management commitee to raise the funds: (1) A members syndicate comprising of €1000 per syndicate, (2) A share capital drive. In a statment from the club, the managment say that "it is a matter of fact that if Sligo Rovers Football Club do not raise substantial funds by the end of August 2008, the club will no longer exist in football". A Special General Meeting will be held within the next 4 weeks.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I genuinely hope you're right. What this league needs more than anything is a period of stability and I'm also all in favour of strong regional clubs, especially in GAA heartlands ;). It does seem strange though that Sligo are able to outbid clubs with seemingly better resources. This plus the fact that it was just 2 years ago, that Sligo had the begging bowl out...

"SLIGO ROVERS FUTURE IN DOUBT DUE TO FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES
    Jul 15 2008

An emergency General Meeting was held last evening between members & board of managemnet at Sligo Rovers last night where the financial situation of the club was discussed. The meeting focused on the future of Premier Division football in Sligo and the club's immediate viability. The club needs to raise €130,000 to stay adrift. Two fundrasing ideas were put forward by the management commitee to raise the funds: (1) A members syndicate comprising of €1000 per syndicate, (2) A share capital drive. In a statment from the club, the managment say that "it is a matter of fact that if Sligo Rovers Football Club do not raise substantial funds by the end of August 2008, the club will no longer exist in football". A Special General Meeting will be held within the next 4 weeks.
    "

Yeah it will be interesting when the agm come's round to see if we are up or down. The 400 club has nearly 500 members according to the site it cost's 250 to join for the year quick maths thats 125 000 euro a year which provides 2000 euro a week in running the club and the bit o red supporters thread has people paying 2 euro a week.Not sure how many people are in that mind. It is a better run club than 2 years ago. Maybe that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Maybe that helps.
    Funny that, we have a similar number of members paying six hundred a year, as well as more than double your average crowds, and we cant afford the wages you pay.

*edited to say cant, duh

CiaranC wrote: »
    Funny that, we have a similar number of members paying six hundred a year, as well as more than double your average crowds, and we can't afford the wages you pay.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

FYP
    ye still find it hard to believe that Richie Ryan was on so little? if ye look the season before last he was rubbish and he spent most of his time drinking with a certain player whos now gone..with out saying names he was in a car crash and broke his leg:o he spent more time drinking with him than anything. as well as an injury he carried through the season.go and look on some of the forums people were calling for him to go because at that stage he was on good wages.when this season came he got reduced wages and buckled up his ideas he had no drinking buddy so he worked a lot better than what he had done the previous season.its simples really.ye just cant seem to come to terms with that..if i we you i would worry more what was going on with your own club rather than ours.

ye still find it hard to believe that Richie Ryan was on so little? if ye look the season before last he was rubbish and he spent most of his time drinking with a certain player whos now gone..with out saying names he was in a car crash and broke his leg:o he spent more time drinking with him than anything. as well as an injury he carried through the season.go and look on some of the forums people were calling for him to go because at that stage he was on good wages.when this season came he got reduced wages and buckled up his ideas he had no drinking buddy so he worked a lot better than what he had done the previous season.its simples really.ye just cant seem to come to terms with that..if i we you i would worry more what was going on with your own club rather than ours.

I never mentioned Ryan :confused: Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned Ryan :confused: Me thinks thou doth protest too much.
    your on about our wage bill.i picked him as an example as ye tried to sign him..yer wage bill is bigger than ours is.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

yer wage bill is bigger than ours is.

Yeah and so are our mickeys!

Sums up thread.

your on about our wage bill.i picked him as an example as ye tried to sign him..yer wage bill is bigger than ours is.

Whatever. If it was my club, I would be concerned that the manager is trying to force the hand of the club to provide an unsustainable budget under threat of resignation (again) for his own personal career advancement. But hey, it's your club. Just keep the begging bowl close to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

CiaranC wrote: »
    Funny that, we have a similar number of members paying six hundred a year, as well as more than double your average crowds, and we cant afford the wages you pay.

*edited to say cant, duh

How much do we pay? I couldnt tell you how much it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's called the N'do gauge. He goes to whoever offers most. Except when Pats paid his wages for us. :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    It's called the N'do gauge. He goes to whoever offers most.

Don't be silly. N'do just loves Sligo that much that he'll play for half the wages just for the privilege.

• Advertisement

Karl Shepard signs for shams confirmed via his twitter he also mentioned there would be also some more signings with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Shelley, Sheppard, O'Donnel and McCabe all signed for Rovers today.

Sauce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Sauce?

Be announced tomorrow afaik.

Sheppard confirmed from his twitter page that he's signed anyway.

Gary McCabe on facebook.some budget shams must have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The three signings have been confirmed by the club.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/press-releases/1768-hoops-scoop-top-young-talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

:(

165785_10150122222628140_681618139_7755818_4188078_n.jpg

165785_10150122222618140_681618139_7755816_5942036_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

:(

Can't wait for the start of the season! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

We win the league for them and that's the thanks we get....:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

7 of last years squad have been released. Three players in with another 2 to be announced shortly and a third quality signing with an offer.

Only in Sligland is our financial setup being questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Meaning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Delighted with the signings and the prudence of the contract lengths.

If the other rumoured signings are true, we can get Mannus and Chambers to sign again and Sully is fit, that's a smashing squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

000399a510dr.jpg

They were good honourable players for you... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Only in Sligland is our financial setup being questioned.

Is this "slig" a pathetic response to Shams or something? It's like the "o" is missing on your keyboard everytime I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Have to say Rovers ye got two great signings from us. Shep will bang in goals for ye and O Donnell is an excellent midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Great signings all right, and Enda re-signing is a big plus.

PFAI squad heading to Norway;

B Brennan. A Shanahan. L Burns. S Kelly [ex-Lim]. B Gartland. M Rossiter. B Shelley. A Price. S Kelly[ex-Dund] D Marshall D Meenan B Ryan S Byrne M Leech E Zayed D Kavanagh G Fitzpatrick K Moore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Screw the LOI select 11 team, you may as well just send Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dsmythy wrote: »
    Screw the LOI select 11 team, you may as well just send Rovers.

Its not a "select" team its like a "Fás" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah. aren't they just going over there to pimp themselves to the Nordic clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

cson wrote: »
    Yeah. aren't they just going over there to pimp themselves to the Nordic clubs?

A couple of Irish managers are going over. Could give them another chance to check out the Irish players, or who knows, maybe bring a Skandy back to Ireland if they aren't asking for much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Dinny Corcoran signs a 1 yr deal with Shels, moving from Fingal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Oh no he didn't!
    S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Great signings all right, and Enda re-signing is a big plus.

PFAI squad heading to Norway;

B Brennan. A Shanahan. L Burns. S Kelly [ex-Lim]. B Gartland. M Rossiter. B Shelley. A Price. S Kelly[ex-Dund] D Marshall D Meenan B Ryan S Byrne M Leech E Zayed D Kavanagh G Fitzpatrick K Moore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

could have pulled out of that squad.

• Advertisement

could have pulled out of that squad.

That team was only announced on the PFAI website today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

That team list has been out a while. It doesnt mean he will travel.

That team list has been out a while. It doesnt mean he will travel.

I'm not sure if you missed my post, but that team was posted on the PFAI website today.

http://www.pfai.ie/news/263-squad-announced-for-fifpro-tournament

There's the link, read the link and then come back and post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm not sure if you missed my post, but that team was posted on the PFAI website today.

http://www.pfai.ie/news/263-squad-announced-for-fifpro-tournament

There's the link, read the link and then come back and post.

Si senor, he speaks the truth!

The initial squad was released about a month back which contained approx 30 players. Some of those Powell etc... have gotten contracts and as such pulled out. The squad that was put up yesterday was the final announced one.

Thats not to say that a deal still can't be done with any of those players mind you.

Looks like Jason McGuinness and Greg Bolger are moving to Sporting Fingal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Paulw wrote: »
    Looks like Jason McGuinness and Greg Bolger are moving to Sporting Fingal.

Dublin city Fingal offered Bolger more than Dundalk could.

So much for them cutting back on their budget when they have already signed Gary O'Neill on a 52 week 2 year contract. I'd be seriously concerned if I was a Fingal fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'd be seriously concerned if I was a Fingal fan
    I'm sure he is indeed questioning the club's ability to finance such a squad based on his paltry gate receipt.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Fingal offered Bolger more than Dundalk could.

So much for them cutting back on their budget when they have already signed Gary O'Neill on a 52 week 2 year contract. I'd be seriously concerned if I was a Fingal fan

Why concerned? Fingal have always paid their players wages, and have always found the financing necessary to keep the club going.

Just because the club can bring in revenue from other sources (than simply gate receipts) doesn't mean that they're poorly managed. The club has never yet had a problem with cashflow.

Two more new signings may be announced soon too.

The club have also let a number of players go, and may get a nice deal with Shaun Williams possibly going to Celtic.

Roll on the new season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why concerned? Fingal have always paid their players wages, and have always found the financing necessary to keep the club going.

Just because the club can bring in revenue from other sources (than simply gate receipts) doesn't mean that they're poorly managed. The club has never yet had a problem with cashflow.

Two more new signings may be announced soon too.

The club have also let a number of players go, and may get a nice deal with Shaun Williams possibly going to Celtic.

Roll on the new season.

The person bankrolling you has pulled out now!

SantryRed wrote: »
    The person bankrolling you has pulled out now!

Really?? :confused: Damn, no one told me, and they mustn't have told the new players. :D

Just because one source of finance is gone doesn't mean the club is out of money. Other sponsorship has been secured. The money is there.

Roll on the new season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Really?? :confused: Damn, no one told me, and they mustn't have told the new players. :D

Just because one source of finance is gone doesn't mean the club is out of money. Other sponsorship has been secured. The money is there.

Roll on the new season.
    Care to tell us how you can just replace half a million quid in no-strings-attached funding? Cos the rest of the clubs would love to know.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement