Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

My understanding is its a nordie and another defender who came from Shels.

The latter player was the one I understood too be one of the two from the start, the other being a young player with the same initials as Glen Crowe.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

iregk wrote: »
    The timing of it all does seem strange however it was only fool.ie that the rumours started about shelly being one of the two then I believe they went around gypoweb. Doesn't seem overly concrete at all.

The rumours were going around bohs before fool.ie. there is doubts but seems pretty concrete at the moment who the players are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Evan and David McMillan join St. Pats. Good squad they're getting together. I reckon it could be close at the top this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The latter player was the one I understood too be one of the two from the start, the other being a young player with the same initials as Glen Crowe.:D

Cronin as in one of the players we are keeping?

Not young either, Im lost.

Also doubt Heary would jeopardise his career, nailed on to replace Fenlon.

Also doubt they went to training..
    Pre-Season started today. Madden, Heary, 2 Keepers & Oman were the only 1st teamers from last season. McGlynn, Keegan, Greene, Cronin & Shelly were on team list but not there.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Cronin as in one of the players we are keeping?

Not young either, Im lost.

Meant Cronin, didn't know he was 29!:eek:

Meant Cronin, didn't know he was 29!:eek:

He did his hamstring in so we said from the start we'd be keeping him. Everything points to Shelley and Grey, they were mates pre Bohs and were/are planning on going to Australia.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Also doubt they went to training..
    Meh, don't know much faith you can have it that, someones already said more players showed up. We're trying to get rid of most of them anyway :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

He did his hamstring in so we said from the start we'd be keeping him. Everything points to Shelley and Grey, they were mates pre Bohs and were/are planning on going to Australia.

How can Shelly be in Norway and the High Court in the same day?

Id say if they were in the hc today we'd know who they were by now and have some reports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Shelleys gone to Australia

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/general/touch-of-the-irish-for-the-reds/2046042.aspx
    BALLARAT Red Devils have signed an Irish Premier League player for the next two seasons.

Former Bohemian FC centre half Brian Shelley will join the Haymes Red Devils as a full-time employee, adding to a squad already strengthened by last month's signing of former Nottingham Forest centre-forward Adam Newbold.

Shelley completed his season with Bohemians, which finished second in the league on goal difference, in October. He is moving to Australia for family reasons.

"I have read a lot about the club over the past couple of months and it looks like a very exciting place to be right now ," Shelley said.

Less than four months ago Shelley, who turned 29 last month, lined-up for an all-Ireland team against Manchester United in a pre-season friendly in Dublin in front of a crowd of 55,000.

Shelley played on England superstar Wayne Rooney for the first half and Dimitar Berbatov in the second.

Although the Irish lost the match 7-1, neither Rooney nor Berbatov scored while marked by Shelley.

"It was a great day for me to play against some of the best footballers on the planet. Really it was amazing and although we were beaten pretty well it was a great experience and something that I will never forget", Shelley said.

In 2009 Shelley was voted by the Irish Players Association (every player in the Irish Premier League votes) into the team of the year.

He also played 66 games with Carlisle United helping them in a play-off win in the Football Conference.

Adding to an impressive resume, Shelley has played eight European Cup (Champions League) matches and seven UEFA Cup matches as well.

The Red Devils start their 2011 pre-season training next Monday and Shelley will be in Ballarat in the first week of February.

He will work at the club as the full-time promotion and development manager.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

He will work at the club as the full-time promotion and development manager.

Step up from barman so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Shelleys gone to Australia
    Not yet he hasnt.

Petition to wind up Bohemian FC to be lodged in the high court tomorrow.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Petition to wind up Bohemian FC to be lodged in the high court tomorrow.

And it was meant to be yesterday, think people need to take newspaper articles with a pinch of salt along with rumours of what players are taking Bohs to the High Court.

Theyll be laughed out of court if it remains just the two lads looking for 6 weeks wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Theyll be laughed out of court if it remains just the two lads looking for 6 weeks wages.

Not exactly. Labour Laws in this country are pretty extensive and watertight when it comes to this type of thing. Just because only two have chosen to exercise their rights doesn't invalidate their claim. If they can show they are owed x amount then a judge would have no hesitation in ordering it be paid regardless of the state of the employers finances. The two lads could legitimately have Boh's wound up over it if there was no other way to be paid but I highly doubt they'd want that type of pariah status bestowed on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Also and I've no idea what contractual agreements were signed with the other players however if they see that these two lads get all the money they were looking for expect all of them to come knocking on the door again.

Also people are still going on about Shelly being here or there. I'm not so sure he is one of the two in question here. Guess we will find out today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The players don't have to show up in court today. Only the solicitors are lodging a winding up order notice. The actual hearing by the court won't happen for a few weeks.

Today will not be the end of it, as the club will have 3-4 weeks to get it sorted before the court actually hear the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Shelley played on England superstar Wayne Rooney for the first half and Dimitar Berbatov in the second.

Although the Irish lost the match 7-1, neither Rooney nor Berbatov scored while marked by Shelley.
    Now that's what I call focussing on the positives.

Lets face it we've all been on the end of a hammering in our day only to proclaim: "it was 0-0 when i came off!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm hearing Drogs need a lot of money before the end of the month or they're in trouble. Seems to be overshadowed by the Bohs thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I know you are a bit of a walter mitty charachter and haven't exactly shown a firm grasp of reality this far, but you have to be pulled up on this.

Its a legal slamdunk. You owe your employees money, are refusing to pay it after a mediation process, and they are going to court to get it. They are unionised employees.

There are 10 lads looking for 52 weeks wages.

Paulw wrote: »
    Today will not be the end of it, as the club will have 3-4 weeks to get it sorted before the court actually hear the case.

Not if they want to play in the LoI in 2011 they don't.

If the lads get their hearing, which they should, there is no concievable way Bohs will get a LoI licence for 2011. Its the A championship, if they are lucky.

The 10 players are owed 7 weeks now. Two of them are demanding their 52 weeks for 2011 now after Bohs told them they could leave. 8 seem to be content to stay on.

So unless Bohs come up with at least (assuming the players will still take it) 26 weeks wages for the two and all 7 weeks for the 8 by next week, they are buried.

Fantastic stuff.

To be honest ONYD I can't see that happen at all. We all know by now the FAI will not even blink at Bohs and they will be playing in the prem this coming season. They will avoid an sanctions for this situation.

To be honest ONYD I can't see that happen at all. We all know by now the FAI will not even blink at Bohs and they will be playing in the prem this coming season. They will avoid an sanctions for this situation.

Not what I am hearing. They were able to creativly account before, giving the FAI the room to assume the best. Which it could be argued is the correct approach.

There is no fudge possible if Bohs go into next week with players wages are outstanding. The question is the punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

If the lads get their hearing, which they should, there is no concievable way Bohs will get a LoI licence for 2011. Its the A championship, if they are lucky.

The 10 players are owed 7 weeks now. Two of them are demanding their 52 weeks for 2011 now after Bohs told them they could leave. 8 seem to be content to stay on.

So unless Bohs come up with at least (assuming the players will still take it) 26 weeks wages for the two and all 7 weeks for the 8 by next week, they are buried.

Fantastic stuff.

You'd be happy to say goodbye to that rivalry for the next x amount of years? Who would you lads argue with on here if Bohs end up in the A Champ?

cson wrote: »
    You'd be happy to say goodbye to that rivalry for the next x amount of years? Who would you lads argue with on here if Bohs end up in the A Champ?

I would be delighted to say goodbye to them forever.

Their obsession with us has poisoned Irish football for too long, and trying to match our 4 in a row looks to have killed them. I would much prefer them to slide off to obscurity (their level) so we can get on with a much healthier rivalry with Pats or Cork.

I actually don't hate Bohs. That implies a level of respect. I spend too much ofmy time reacting to their hatred of us.

I would be delighted to say goodbye to them forever.

Their obsession with us has poisoned Irish football for too long, and trying to match our 4 in a row looks to have killed them. I would much prefer them to slide off to obscurity (their level) so we can get on with a much healthier rivalry with Pats or Cork.

I actually don't hate Bohs. That implies a level of respect. I spend too much ofmy time reacting to their hatred of us.

ive read alot of your posts and i have to award you with biggest gob****e of boards.ie award.

healthy rivalry with pats and cork? sadly rovers will never have a healthy rivalry with anyone.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    ive read alot of your posts and i have to award you with biggest gob****e of boards.ie award.

healthy rivalry with pats and cork? sadly rovers will never have a healthy rivalry with anyone.:rolleyes:

I had a little cry there.

The history of the rivalry was after Drums went pop Bohs started attacking Rovers fans around Dalymount. The rivalry spiralled from that. Its not based on football, geography or politics. Simply that they decided that we were their rivals and it snowballed from there.

If they cease to be, that toxicity is eliminated and we can move on to geogrpahical rivalries like our neighbours in Pats or the likes.

They aren't rivals in any real sense, so we won't lose sleep like Celtic would if Rangers go.

Well there is a point here by ONYD in so far as for Rovers Bohs is not the rivalry. Bohs decided (back in the day) that we were the rivals and it grew out of that. You ask most Rovers fans though and they tell you that Pats or Shels are the rivalry. Shels more so for historical purposes but for obvious reasons at present Pats. For the genuine footballing and Rovers fan such as myself Bohs are not rivals. They are simply another club in the same vein as say Dundalk or UCD.

Can't speak for Bohs fans so I'm not sure who they view their rivalry as. Probably us, but then again probably Shels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

cson wrote: »

I always prefer to beat Pats, all the way back to when they were in Harold's Cross...it's a good couple of years in that regard.. :cool:

Nothing sounds better than Rovers fans' voices reverberating around Richmond Park and Inchicore...

Well there is a point here by ONYD in so far as for Rovers Bohs is not the rivalry. Bohs decided (back in the day) that we were the rivals and it grew out of that. You ask most Rovers fans though and they tell you that Pats or Shels are the rivalry. Shels more so for historical purposes but for obvious reasons at present Pats. For the genuine footballing and Rovers fan such as myself Bohs are not rivals. They are simply another club in the same vein as say Dundalk or UCD.

Can't speak for Bohs fans so I'm not sure who they view their rivalry as. Probably us, but then again probably Shels.

well your the first rovers fans ive come across that would put pats as a bigger or more traditional rivalry than bohs.

I'm hearing Drogs need a lot of money before the end of the month or they're in trouble.

Deja Vu. Seems them being a viable business after their examinership was short lived.
    Not if they want to play in the LoI in 2011 they don't.

ONYD, I really thought you had a lot more sense that this. The FAI every season claim they'll clamp down hard on clubs that have debtors and sh*te, yet every season the same crap happens and the FAI make up some poxy excuse and clubs get away with it, Drogheda for the main example.

Bohs will go unpunished unless something happens ala Cork where the club go bust, the FAI will release a statement afterwards saying that everything is dandy and if this happens next season there will be tough measures, same bull every year.

well your the first rovers fans ive come across that would put pats as a bigger or more traditional rivalry than bohs.

Ask the non-Danny Dyer lads and usually they'll say the real Dublin Derby is Rovers-Shels, both established in Ringsend, Rovers are the most successful Irish club, we're the 3rd most successful, etc...

I know a lot of Shels fans always considered Rovers are biggest rivals and I suppose it showed last season in the pre-season friendly when a good few hundred of us went to Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I probabaly prefer beating Bohs myself because of the way they lorded it over us when they were in the ascendant recently, but I think the point is that rivalries grow and fade over time. If Bohs were not around - or down a division - a currently "secondary" rivalry like Pats, Shels or Sligo would just move up a place. In fact, all the stuff at Rovers over the last two seasons has put a bit of bite back in the rivalry with Sligo and Pats. As it would with Shels if they come up.

@ Gav: Shels have won the second most amount of leagues no?

Thats not quite what he said though.

Bohs are an irritant. We dislike them because they are a bunch of bitter upstarts who are entirely fixated on us. If the Bridge Steet Boot Boys didn't have to put manners on Cabra in the late 60's in their own inimitible fashion, the rivalry would have been still born. Like I say, Rovers just reacted to their provocation and off it snowballed.

There is no respect there on or off the pitch. If you asked a Rovers fan in the 60's would Rovers Bohs be the main Irish derby, they would have laughed. Like the idea in 50 years time that Rovers v UCD would need riot cops.

When Shels were on top we very much looked out for their fixtures over Bohs when they came out.

Pats are at least a nearby team with local fans. Its a rivalry that doesn't spill into the carnage and their fans are genrally sound footballing folk.

ONYD, I really thought you had a lot more sense that this. The FAI every season claim they'll clamp down hard on clubs that have debtors and sh*te, yet every season the same crap happens and the FAI make up some poxy excuse and clubs get away with it, Drogheda for the main example.

Bohs will go unpunished unless something happens ala Cork where the club go bust, the FAI will release a statement afterwards saying that everything is dandy and if this happens next season there will be tough measures, same bull every year.

I'm not sure. I think in this case Bohs are giving the FAI no wiggle room at all. Last year they washed the car park money, the year before was the barmen saga. This year its far too stark. And I beleive the FAI have run out of patience.

If they owe players money next week they are in breach. Open. Shut. The question is the sanction.

Ask the non-Danny Dyer lads and usually they'll say the real Dublin Derby is Rovers-Shels, both established in Ringsend, Rovers are the most successful Irish club, we're the 3rd most successful, etc...
    I know a lot of Shels fans always considered Rovers are biggest rivals and I suppose it showed last season in the pre-season friendly when a good few hundred of us went to Tallaght.

Eh? ;)

stovelid wrote: »
    @ Gav: Shels have won the second most amount of leagues no?

Yup, but when ye factor in FAI Cups and whatnot I think we rank 3rd most successful. I'll take 2nd though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The rivalry thing in Dublin has fluctuated a lot over time.

Pre-LoI(1922) days, it was mainly just Shels and Bohs from Dublin competing in the Irish League with sides from Belfast. Shels being the working class pro team (WC people needed financial renumeration for taking time off work whereas the middle class people didn't) and Bohs being the elitist amateur members club.

Post 1922 the main rivalry was without a doubt the Ringsend rivalry between Shels and Rovers which was eventually overtaken by Rovers rivalry with Drums.

From the 70s, with the demise of Drums, Rovers and Bohs were the main rivalry.

From the 90s til moving to Tallaght, Rovers were usually out of contention for honours, and Shels, Bohs and Pats all had succesful periods.

I suppose as it stands now, it's Rovers-Pats is the main Dublin rivalry, but we haven't gone away you know. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

This is probably the wrong thread for transfer rumours

but we could be getting Behan on loan from Hartlepool.

Thats not quite what he said though.

Bohs are an irritant. We dislike them because they are a bunch of bitter upstarts who are entirely fixated on us. If the Bridge Steet Boot Boys didn't have to put manners on Cabra in the late 60's in their own inimitible fashion, the rivalry would have been still born. Like I say, Rovers just reacted to their provocation and off it snowballed.

There is no respect there on or off the pitch. If you asked a Rovers fan in the 60's would Rovers Bohs be the main Irish derby, they would have laughed. Like the idea in 50 years time that Rovers v UCD would need riot cops.

When Shels were on top we very much looked out for their fixtures over Bohs when they came out.

Pats are at least a nearby team with local fans. Its a rivalry that doesn't spill into the carnage and their fans are genrally sound footballing folk.

yea when rovers fans decide not to disgrace themselves and have a go at behaving.

im really fascinated that you think bohs are obsessed with rovers, laughable really when alot of the talk at the moment is rovers fans wetting themselves at the thoughts of us going belly up but hey keep on hooping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Galway United to announce some signings this week, apparently. Rumours are that the majority are local junior players. Sean Connor has also stated that he is trying to work out loan deals for some Sheffield United and Stoke players. Thus far, only Enda Curran of Mervue has signed.

yea when rovers fans decide not to disgrace themselves and have a go at behaving.

Blah blah. Do you want to have a potentially interesting discussion about the Dublin rivalries or cheap pops?
    im really fascinated that you think bohs are obsessed with rovers, laughable really when alot of the talk at the moment is rovers fans wetting themselves at the thoughts of us going belly up but hey keep on hooping.

But they are. Look at their forum. At least 1/3 of their threads are about us.

Historically they were a non-entity, and still hold the record for the most relegations / re-elections. As Zebra said, they were a members drinking club that happened to have a football and cricket team.

Its only since the early 70's when they ditched the amateur status that they ceased to be the whipping boys of the league. The culture of the club never got away from being the smallest of the Dublin clubs, and I include UCD in that. Everything Bohs do is referenced against Rovers and overtaking our successes on the pitch. Dalymount has been sacrificed to try and beat our 4 in a row. Its pathetic.

Rovers fans genuinely don't care about Bohs. It has never been reciprocated from us. We are happy to ditch them as 'main rival' and move on. Tallaght will be a much better place without having to deal with them.

Pats, Shels and Cork are all more natural historical rivals for various reasons, and a number of Rovers fans would be quite happy that the Dublin derby became Rovers v Pats.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Pre-LoI(1922) days, it was mainly just Shels and Bohs from Dublin competing in the Irish League with sides from Belfast. Shels being the working class pro team (WC people needed financial renumeration for taking time off work whereas the middle class people didn't) and Bohs being the elitist amateur members club.

Post 1922 the main rivalry was without a doubt the Ringsend rivalry between Shels and Rovers which was eventually overtaken by Rovers rivalry with Drums.

From the 90s til moving to Tallaght, Rovers were usually out of contention for honours, and Shels, Bohs and Pats all had succesful periods.

I suppose as it stands now, it's Rovers-Pats is the main Dublin rivalry, but we haven't gone away you know. ;)

Well summated.

Out of interest, who would you consider Shels main rivals?

Still Rovers or did we lose you to Pats in the 1990's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Pure_Cork wrote: »

If we're not paying his wages are at least not all of his wages it might be a decent deal. I think Hartlepool want rid of him altogether though.

Blah blah. Do you want to have a potentially interesting discussion about the Dublin rivalries or cheap pops?

But they are. Look at their forum. At least 1/3 of their threads are about us.

Historically they were a non-entity, and still hold the record for the most relegations / re-elections. As Zebra said, they were a members drinking club that happened to have a football and cricket team.

Its only since the early 70's when they ditched the amateur status that they ceased to be the whipping boys of the league. The culture of the club never got away from being the smallest of the Dublin clubs, and I include UCD in that. Everything Bohs do is referenced against Rovers and overtaking our successes on the pitch. Dalymount has been sacrificed to try and beat our 4 in a row. Its pathetic.

Rovers fans genuinely don't care about Bohs. It has never been reciprocated from us. We are happy to ditch them as 'main rival' and move on. Tallaght will be a much better place without having to deal with them.

Pats, Shels and Cork are all more natural historical rivals for various reasons, and a number of Rovers fans would be quite happy that the Dublin derby became Rovers v Pats.

see your views are that bohs aint the main derby but the new generation the tallaght brigade even the tolka/rds brigade would class bohs as the main rival, there aint many of the old milltown crowd left.

Zebra3 wrote: »

bohs shels imo has always been a good rivalry from what i remember. The early naughtys it really came into itself only for shels pats to move infront but there were good battles throughout the fenlon/kenny head to heads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pure_Cork wrote: »

Heard that a while ago.
    His missus never moved over there and is over and back constantly and the belief is, come back and have an 'easier' life - I'd have him back in a heartbeat to be fair.

There might also be another ex city player currently playing in england returning in the near future. The next 10 or so days will be interesting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement