Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I found him to be rather lazy, if his effort matched his talent he'd be a great player.
    He'd never have played league of ireland if that were the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But lads if you were doing a story about him in a newspaper, would you at least get a picture of him?

Or type Mark Quigley Dundalk into Linkedin and just post whatever you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But lads if you were doing a story about him in a newspaper, would you at least get a picture of him?

Or type Mark Quigley Dundalk into Linkedin and just post whatever you got?
    Quigley could only ever dream of having such straight unfrizzy hair. Great journalism!

Pighead wrote: »
    Quigley could only ever dream of having such straight unfrizzy hair. Great journalism!

Could always give Raf a call

B7Ejit1IMAEn5hw.jpg

Could always give Raf a call

B7Ejit1IMAEn5hw.jpg
    Ha ha. Seen that ad last week. I hope they paid him a tonne of cash for that because he'll have to endure a load of stick this season for doing it.

He's been advertising for them for a couple of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ha ha. Seen that ad last week. I hope they paid him a tonne of cash for that because he'll have to endure a load of stick this season for doing it.

At least his footballing impact is heavily fringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

UCD in line to get a fair play entry into Europa league. For the sake of Coefficient would be much better going to next ranked team in the league rather than a relegated team. Can't imagine UCD offering up too much resistance to a seeded team.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2015/0115/672698-ucd-in-line-for-europa-league-qualifying-place/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Liam Miller signs for CCFC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

doncarlos wrote: »
    UCD in line to get a fair play entry into Europa league. For the sake of Coefficient would be much better going to next ranked team in the league rather than a relegated team. Can't imagine UCD offering up too much resistance to a seeded team.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2015/0115/672698-ucd-in-line-for-europa-league-qualifying-place/
    Can you see any other LOI team not already qualified offering much resistance to a seeded team?
    I'd love it if this happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Anyone know what Miller has been playing like in recent seasons? He went off the radar a long while back.

Can you see any other LOI team not already qualified offering much resistance to a seeded team?
    I'd love it if this happens!

Fair point and depends who it is. Sligo would have a good stab but not sure who else.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

gimmick wrote: »
    Liam Miller signs for CCFC.

That's a massive signing by Cork both on and off the field. If Caulfield takes the reigns off and lets you play you'll be serious title challengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That's a massive signing by Cork both on and off the field. If Caulfield takes the reigns off and lets you play you'll be serious title challengers.

Buddy of mine lived in Brisbane a few years back and watched him play for them a few times, said he was very comfortable if not too comfortable for that league, which you'd presume would be of higher quality than LOI. That was a few years back though so we'll have to wait and see what way his legs are now. Massive signing for off the field reasons though, apparently we are coming very close to breaking the thousand mark for season tickets sold so this should push that over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Interesting that Miller, Healy, Fahey and McPhail are all back in the league now, I wonder will it ever get to the stage where ex-internationals genuinely see it as an option to finish their careers here? The money probably isn't very appealing though. Saw someone tweet this morning about the LoI running with an allocated player outside the wagecap similar to the MLS, does anyone think that could ever work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I dont know really if it would. The players in the MLS are probably still getting enough to live relatively comfortably and not have a job on the side. That cant be said for some LoI players you know. You could see a lot of bitterness toward the main player.

Regarding MLS money i'm just assuming the other players in the team are relatively comfortable, i'm open to correction on that

Saw someone tweet this morning about the LoI running with an allocated player outside the wagecap similar to the MLS, does anyone think that could ever work?

Where would the money come from for this? The FAI offer pittance for prize money they're hardly going to fund player wages. Also not sure what UEFAs rules would be on FAs funding wages but I suppose they could increase minimum prize money to get around this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Rory Patterson and Derry have parted ways. :(

Where would the money come from for this? The FAI offer pittance for prize money they're hardly going to fund player wages. Also not sure what UEFAs rules would be on FAs funding wages but I suppose they could increase minimum prize money to get around this.

Not sure how it works in the MLS, presuming the league pay for the allocated players wages? Not that the FAI would ever do so for LoI teams unfortunately, as you said could also be UEFA rules against doing so.

Not sure how it works in the MLS, presuming the league pay for the allocated players wages? Not that the FAI would ever do so for LoI teams unfortunately, as you said could also be UEFA rules against doing so.

Only looked this up the other day. MLS pay $400,000 towards the designated players wages with the club owners paying the rest.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Rory Patterson and Derry have parted ways. :(

Would be a great signing for any club in the league. Dundalk, Rovers and Cork all in bad need for a top striker.

Doesn't he come with a "bit of baggage"? If so I'd hope CCFC stay well away from him. We have had enough of those at this stage.

Would be a great signing for any club in the league. Dundalk, Rovers and Cork all in bad need for a top striker.

We have Mark O'Sullivan, John O'Flynn, Karl Sheppard, Rob Lehane signed and Danny Morrissey will be signing in the next few weeks once his ankle issue is professionally cleared. While we could do with an out and out goalscorer, I don't think we're doing too badly. Would be very surprised if we are in for Patterson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Danny North and Rory Patterson.

What could possibly go wrong?

I'd be shocked if Kenny brought Patterson to Dundalk.

gimmick wrote: »
    Doesn't he come with a "bit of baggage"? If so I'd hope CCFC stay well away from him. We have had enough of those at this stage.

Rumours has it that he regularly falls out with everyone in the dressing room and that Shane McEleney specifically said either him or Patterson had to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Fair point and depends who it is. Sligo would have a good stab but not sure who else.
    If it does happen (and as far as I can see it's still an "if"), I know we'll almost certainly be well beaten. But it'll give young players likely to be big players in the LOI in future the experience of a brief European sojourn.

For us, it may mean a few players considering their options could stay on. I'd also love to travel to the away leg so long as it's not in Kazakhstan or somewhere similar. Never thought I would even get a chance to consider a European trip as a UCD fan. It may also give these lads a chance to go to a game :pac:

I'd have preferred to sign patterson than take a risk on the Danish lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If it does happen (and as far as I can see it's still an "if"), I know we'll almost certainly be well beaten.
    Really depends on the draw. UCD will almost certainly be unseeded and go into the first preliminary round, so could get someone beatable.

I'd be shocked if Kenny brought Patterson to Dundalk.
    Needs a forward and Patterson is the best available in the league. Kennys not really known for bringing in players from outside Ireland.

Hes probably already in Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Heard a whopper last night, If I say I will be killed, ex prem league player to Sligo Rovers, guy told me this had told me about Mortan a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Interesting that Miller, Healy, Fahey and McPhail are all back in the league now, I wonder will it ever get to the stage where ex-internationals genuinely see it as an option to finish their careers here? The money probably isn't very appealing though. Saw someone tweet this morning about the LoI running with an allocated player outside the wagecap similar to the MLS, does anyone think that could ever work?

Sean St.Ledger and Clinton Morrison are also free agents.Also,what would peoples thoughts be if Ched Evans were to play in LOI??.Would there be outcry here as well I wonder.

Sean St.Ledger and Clinton Morrison are also free agents.Also,what would peoples thoughts be if Ched Evans were to play in LOI??.Would there be outcry here as well I wonder.

Course there would. Can you imagine what rags like the Herald would drum up?

St.Ledger is a player I can actually see ending up here at some stage, seems to be in desperate need of a club but heard that MLS is his most likely destination? Personally wouldn't have a problem with Evans coming to play here, served his time and I think he would be a great signing for any Irish team, could be terrible publicity though.

Interesting that Miller, Healy, Fahey and McPhail are all back in the league now, I wonder will it ever get to the stage where ex-internationals genuinely see it as an option to finish their careers here?
    They're all former internationals, but none of them were big names for Ireland. Be a different story if the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane were finishing their careers in the LOI and I can't see that happening any time soon - they can make far too much playing elsewhere.

Personally wouldn't have a problem with Evans coming to play here, served his time...
    He might have served his time (although his sentence was f**king laughable), but there's something not quite right about a crowd of people cheering on a convicted sex offender.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Heard a whopper last night, If I say I will be killed, ex prem league player to Sligo Rovers, guy told me this had told me about Mortan a few weeks ago.
    There's one of those rumours every season. Robbie fowler, franny Jeffers and Darius vassell all spring to mind.

Evans isn't allowed work outside the UK for a couple of years anyway. No point debating him here.

He could play home games for Derry I guess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Always see the 'he served his time' posts spring up about athletes who spend time in prison. Evans served half his sentence. If Player X gets 4 years imprisonment and serves 1 month, has he still 'served his time'?

Personally wouldn't have liked to have seen him in the league anyway.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Needs a forward and Patterson is the best available in the league. Kennys not really known for bringing in players from outside Ireland.

Hes probably already in Dundalk.
    We'll see but I doubt it. Kenny generally tries to bring good strong positive characters into his dressing room and is on record as saying he takes a players character into account when buying them. Patterson doesn't tick any of these boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Regarding Liam Miller and Colin Healy with Cork City.They both started out playing for Ballincollig.(pictured below at U16s).They both went on to play for Celtic and Sunderland and finally return to play for Cork City.

What are the chances.

Also in the picture is current Cork City goalkeeper Mark McNulty.
    Miller and Healy either side of keeper at the back.McNulty in front.

B7Y36Q0CcAA-DpF.jpg

Patterson has 54 goals in 87 games for Derry.

Something up if he still in Ireland.

Patterson has 54 goals in 87 games for Derry.

Something up if he still in Ireland.

Attitude, personality???

All big factors for English & Scottish clubs, and shouldn't be any different here.

He's been quite injury prone this last season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Had this discussion with a mate of mine. While i personally think he should be allowed get on with his life i wouldn't want the inevitable ****storm brought down on my club. Cant imagine anyoone else here would want that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Why say anything if you're not gonna tell us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can't say I'm happy with Miller signing.

He was awful at Hibs, I mean awful.

If he still was good enough he be somewhere else in demand.

Its a good coup publicity wise, but nothing else. I know its LOI standard now but he has bit to prove to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Can't say I'm happy with Miller signing.

He was awful at Hibs, I mean awful.

If he still was good enough he be somewhere else in demand.

Its a good coup publicity wise, but nothing else. I know its LOI standard now but he has bit to prove to me.

I was thinking the same, have a feeling he'll be as useful as Stephen Bradley was for us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement