Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I wonder what's so special about Bray that they are getting investigated. The fraud squad could get overtime galore if they looked at the LOI properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wonder what's so special about Bray that they are getting investigated. The fraud squad could get overtime galore if they looked at the LOI properly.

Maybe Bray were just stupidly blatant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

New owners so they're probably uncovering all the goings-on from the previous ones.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Maybe Bray were just stupidly blatant.

I wouldn't say that's unique to Bray either, not that anything has been proven yet of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Now hearing 8th team will be announced Wednesday. FAI keeping it very tight as to who it is. Not sure if they will be announcing fixtures then too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Now hearing 8th team will be announced Wednesday. FAI keeping it very tight as to who it is. Not sure if they will be announcing fixtures then too

They'd want to hurry up, season starts soon enough.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

IT Carlow I would think as the FAI run a course there. They would be a better option than Cabinteely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bray? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Indo article linled above claims it's people formerly involved with the club trying to scupper the deal for new owners so Carlisle grounds can be sold to property developers. Standard stuff for LOI really.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    IT Carlow I would think as the FAI run a course there. They would be a better option than Cabinteely

Most of the top Carlow IT players play for Wexford Youths. Their keeper signed for Waterford last week. I know they have plans, but they did state a few weeks ago that they were a year or two away yet. Would love it if it was them though

Most of the top Carlow IT players play for Wexford Youths. Their keeper signed for Waterford last week. I know they have plans, but they did state a few weeks ago that they were a year or two away yet. Would love it if it was them though
    yeah they would still have a better team than Cabinteely I would imagine. I think they would be a more sustainable option than Cabinteely. Cabinteely could be an absolute joke tbh. I cant see them having a decent team or attracting any decent players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

yeah they would still have a better team than Cabinteely I would imagine. I think they would be a more sustainable option than Cabinteely. Cabinteely could be an absolute joke tbh. I cant see them having a decent team or attracting any decent players
    considering its 6 weeks until the season is up and running i dont think any 8th club is going to have a decent team or we would already know who they are. (i do realise you are probably talking longer term though)

its farces like this that, lets face it make the barstoolers right when they say the LOI is a joke. An 8 team division was already unsustainable, the FAI should have been seeking extra teams long before shams pulled the plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

anncoates wrote: »
    Bray? :)

Wouldn't they be unknowns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

First pre-season game for us next week up in Warrenpoint. You know you can really start to get excited about the new season once the pre-season games begin. Great to see Towell is staying with us for the 2015 season. Shame Higgins left us as he was a great backup to have on the bench but you can't blame him for taking a three year deal from Coleraine in fairness. No real talk of any replacements for Hoban lately. Thankfully the Patterson rumours seem to have gone away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

IT Carlow said 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

PP in early with the opening day LOI Premier division match fixture odds.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-matches/ireland

And Premier division league outright odds.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/irish-football/airtricity-league-premier-division

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

IT Carlow said 2016.

It's a bit hopeful of them though as it's assuming that one of the following will occur:

A) The FAI are happy to run with an odd number of teams in 2016.

B) Failing that, another new team will be found to enter alongside them.

C) Or somebody else pulls out in 12 months.

Actually... looking at that, option C is probably a fairly solid bet. What odds on Carlow replacing Cabinteely in 12 months time?

IT Carlow said 2016.

Perhaps the solution for the FAI to the current farce is to encourage 3rd level institutions to join the 1st division. Some of the facilities are amazing and budgets are never an issue. I know UCD don't get big crowds but it might be different in Carlow, Tralee, Athlone etc. If we can get the 1st division up to 12 teams, it will benefit everybody

if we can get the 1st division up to 12 teams, it will benefit everybody

Will never happen, an 18 team Premier with Regional Leagues is the only way forward. The way to get teams like Galway, Athlone, etc... thriving is by having big home support combined with large away attendances.

Fairly certain I remember someone saying on the last game of the 1st Division last season when there was 200+ Shels fans down in Cobh, combined with bar sales, etc... they probably got an income of about 5 or 6 times their normal week. Imagine having that every few weeks? They'd have money to invest in the ground, team, etc...

• Advertisement

Confirm application. As long as they have a ball and nets, the FAI will grant a licence

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2015/0128/676130-cabinteely-confirm-loi-application/

How the hell can clubs like Cabinteely afford to field a first division team?

plenty of money in that area;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

plenty of money in that area;)
    An area that already has one poorly-supported LOI side.

FAI probably waiving the 19k and them fielding an amateur side.

FAI probably waiving the 19k and them fielding an amateur side.

Absolute nonsense. The FAI would never bend the rules because it suits them in a certain situation.

Absolute nonsense. The FAI would never bend the rules because it suits them in a certain situation.

I'd also imagine that Blackrock RFC ground doesn't meet any of the requirements, but I'm sure a blueprint will be drawn up of plans just in case (like Drogheda a few years back).:rolleyes:

I'd also imagine that Blackrock RFC ground doesn't meet any of the requirements, but I'm sure a blueprint will be drawn up of plans just in case (like Drogheda a few years back).:rolleyes:

Yeah. I mean Salthill and Mervue had no intention of building a stand. Mervue submitted plans for one, but Salthill didn't even bother with that charade iirc.

I doubt that any team in the LOI fully meets their licencing requirements, the whole process is a charade to be 'seen' to be running a tight ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I still think Cabinteely is a weird one.

Were Malahide Utd ever in the running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

monkey9 wrote: »
    I still think Cabinteely is a weird one.

Were Malahide Utd ever in the running?
    No, and they won't be. They don't want to enter the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

an 18 team Premier

This would be madness. Shels and Athlone and at a stretch Waterford or Harps wouldn't severely weaken the Premier division but having them all as well Cobh, Wexford, UCD in at the same time would hamstring the established clubs big time. Losing home games against the big Dublin sides and rivals to be replaced by teams that won't attract any floating fans and zero away support would seriously eat into gate receipts and drag clubs down.
    A 16 team top division would be ideal but we don't currently have the clubs available at the minute to make this viable.

Cabinteely confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cabinteely confirmed

image.png?w=400&c=1

Now that Cabinteely FC have been granted a licence, I would like to welcome them to the LOI. Best of luck to them in all bar 4 matches this season

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I'm delighted that Cabo are in the league and shall be doing my best to attend their (home!) games.
    Yeah I can see how its a bit ridiculous and such but I think I will just enjoy it while it lasts as there is now a club which I once played for playing in the league thats close to home, good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BMMachine wrote: »
    I'm delighted that Cabo are in the league and shall be doing my best to attend their (home!) games.
    Yeah I can see how its a bit ridiculous and such but I think I will just enjoy it while it lasts as there is now a club which I once played for playing in the league thats close to home, good enough for me.

Will it be TEK?

Stradbrook I think. both really close to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't really see how it's any worse than Salthill Devon. Ideally all these clubs would be coming into a gigantic pyramid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Stradbrook I think. both really close to me :)

Same would be good to get to any games not clashing with Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There is gonna be absolute anarchy in the SoCoDu derby when UCD meet Cabinteely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

CSF wrote: »
    I don't really see how it's any worse than Salthill Devon. Ideally all these clubs would be coming into a gigantic pyramid.
    i dont know what people are expecting to be honest, Dublin has almost 1/3rd of the country's population and almost 1/3 of the league's clubs.

what team are going to step up with great facilities?.... hell would anyone step up with better facilities than ourselves?! (Harps, and our ground is surely the worst in the league) Monaghan or Kilkenny have already failed, another team from Morton stadium?
    sure it would be great to have the 2 above back, Tralee, Carlow, Castlebar in to provide a nice geographical spread but every team has to start somewhere!

Wexford got a nice head start of a developer but it has still be a slow steady climb to be battling for a promotion place. A handout from Kevin Doyle, but who hasnt had at least one from somewhere? Unless a council decides to invest somewhere, youths were a one off.

The first division is not in a healthy state, its not attractive to join and costs a fortune to run an amateur side which is a massive risk to any club. The entire league/footballing structure needs drastic surgery, in lieu of that, Im just happy we have an even 8 teams without resorting to a B team, and wish Cabinteely all the best against the Leinster and Muster teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Really would like to know what the current state of Kilkenny city is and if there is an appetite for them to get back up and running. Lovely pitch and decent little stand, terrible dressing rooms though. I know away fans used to love the trip and they in theory had a good catchment area

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

tastyt wrote: »
    Really would like to know what the current state of Kilkenny city is and if there is an appetite for them to get back up and running. Lovely pitch and decent little stand, terrible dressing rooms though. I know away fans used to love the trip and they in theory had a good catchment area

Like a lot of things, people say there's an appetite but when it comes to handing over money, there really isn't. Newpark FC are currently using Buckley park so at least it isn't idle anymore. I don't know if the new dressings rooms under the new stand were ever completed. When there's less than 100 people attending matches there's no point in continuing. I wish it was still going but there's a reality there that it can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Like a lot of things, people say there's an appetite but when it comes to handing over money, there really isn't. Newpark FC are currently using Buckley park so at least it isn't idle anymore. I don't know if the new dressings rooms under the new stand were ever completed. When there's less than 100 people attending matches there's no point in continuing. I wish it was still going but there's a reality there that it can't.

You from Kilkenny yourself?? Where did it go wrong?? Seems to be a big interest in football in the city itself. I know st kierans college had some good teams and mikey drennan played with them. Was hurling too dominant??

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    There is gonna be absolute anarchy in the SoCoDu derby when UCD meet Cabinteely.

Keily's will be fockin jammers that noight

tastyt wrote: »
    You from Kilkenny yourself?? Where did it go wrong?? Seems to be a big interest in football in the city itself. I know st kierans college had some good teams and mikey drennan played with them. Was hurling too dominant??

I've never believed in the other sport domination thing, that goes on everywhere. I'm not entirely sure as I was living outside of Ireland from 02-07, but I did follow the club and wrote in the programme for a couple of seasons. After the successful period under Alfie Hale and Pat Byrne, the club fell into decline bar a brief season under Pat Scully, towards the end, nobody was showing up to watch games. I've spoken to the club chairman and he says it's just not viable and there will be no return. The stadium is probably a bit too far out of town and I look at Wexford Youths as being an almost carbon copy of Kilkenny. Look, league of Ireland clubs need to sort themselves out, I'm sick of reading about how it's the FAI's fault or somebody else's fault or circumstances etc... clubs need to do it for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I've never believed in the other sport domination thing, that goes on everywhere. I'm not entirely sure as I was living outside of Ireland from 02-07, but I did follow the club and wrote in the programme for a couple of seasons. After the successful period under Alfie Hale and Pat Byrne, the club fell into decline bar a brief season under Pat Scully, towards the end, nobody was showing up to watch games. I've spoken to the club chairman and he says it's just not viable and there will be no return. The stadium is probably a bit too far out of town and I look at Wexford Youths as being an almost carbon copy of Kilkenny. Look, league of Ireland clubs need to sort themselves out, I'm sick of reading about how it's the FAI's fault or somebody else's fault or circumstances etc... clubs need to do it for themselves.
    Fair enough and I agree, clubs absolutely need to live within their means. That's tough though when the prize for winning the league is a mere 100k, registration something like 20k and big John Delaney is on something in the region of 350-400k.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Fair enough and I agree, clubs absolutely need to live within their means. That's tough though when the prize for winning the league is a mere 100k, registration something like 20k and big John Delaney is on something in the region of 350-400k.

It's not just about cost and prize money, there's additional income to made also. John Delaney's salary is what it is, there's nothing a club can do about it, that's the sort of argument I think is irrelevant, another deflection from the core problem.

I'm delighted that Cabo are in the league

5313546.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement