Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Friday nights, the floodlights, you'd hear us roar,
    Sing 'Dundalk til we die' then our throats went sore,
    We have grown on the road to El Paso.

Not only do we have the best football team, we also have the best singer with a guitar singing about the best football team. Truly a golden era for the town. Take it away David Keenan (with a special guest appearance from Maxi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

anncoates wrote: »
    Michael Drennan signed for rovers.

that's a brilliant signing for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

COYVB wrote: »
    that's a brilliant signing for them

You a villa supporter?

Looking forward to see how he does for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Strange rumours surrounding Limerick. I thought there was supposed to be a decent bit of investment backing them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

anncoates wrote: »
    Michael Drennan signed for rovers.

Wonder what happened with us? Lots of rumours deal wasn't right but haven't heard anything concrete.

Seems the kind of player that will either tear the league apart or be a spectacular flop. I'm hoping the latter :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

doncarlos wrote: »
    Wonder what happened with us? Lots of rumours deal wasn't right but haven't heard anything concrete.

Seems the kind of player that will either tear the league apart or be a spectacular flop. I'm hoping the latter :p

Being a Kilkenny man, Rovers fan and former Evergreen schoolboy, I hope he does spectacularly well.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Supposedly Shane Duggan has asked to leave and is off to Cork or Galway.

Personally, I'd welcome him back with open arms anyway. I always thought he was impressive down here, particularly because of the sheer amount of work he put in in midfield.

That said, that was largely back in the first division, and also the first season back in the Premier. We have moved on a little bit from there so it would be interesting to see if he could fit back into the side should he decide to make a return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

An American centre half on trial at Galway United and a French striker at Finn Harps. http://www.pscsocceracademy.com/showcase-duo-tagbo-and-hackbarth-trial-ireland/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

An American centre half on trial at Galway United and a French striker at Finn Harps. http://www.pscsocceracademy.com/showcase-duo-tagbo-and-hackbarth-trial-ireland/

He has continued to pursue his professional career and joined PSC again on their Ireland showcase where he exceled in front of Galway Coaches against Cork City, Shamrock Rovers and Republic of Ireland National C side.

Was the third one played on sand? :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Interesting.... I know we are searching high and low for a striker. Enda Curran was in talks but our wages couldn't cater for geography.
    Garbhan friel signed who has been banging them in the usl the last few years. Marc Brolly also back, talented but always got stuck on the wing. Hopefully. He can so something in his best position as a striker.... Both signed this week so assumed wewere giving up the search.

Ray Foy also signed this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We have some players on trial atm, for the love of god please let the Togo lad be not ****. He has a cool ****ing name and some lad from belfast on trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We've an Estonian on trial. Playing against shels tomorrow apparently. Has nearly 60 senior caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We've an Estonian on trial. Playing against shels tomorrow apparently. Has nearly 60 senior caps.

Sander Puri if u believe the banter page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Or the pictures of him training in the showgrounds :D

There's a video on youtube of him playing Brazil. He successfully tackles Kaka and Felipe Melo hacks him down out of frustration after being beat by him previously :cool:

Future player of the year.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Those lads are the last to hear anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ha the French lad from that psc group scored for us today in a 1-0 win over cork in roscommon. Was meant to have been pretty good.
    Some English trialist called Peel, ex Carlisle and Fleetwood Town... Will probably be going home again by the sounds of it!

Joey Ndo signs for.... Arrow Harps.

Joey Ndo signs for.... Arrow Harps.
    He'll be one of the more experienced players there. They haven't got too many with world cup experience.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    He'll be one of the more experienced players there. They haven't got too many with world cup experience.

What's the story though? Are they paying him? Surely he could have gotten a LOI club.

What's the story though? Are they paying him? Surely he could have gotten a LOI club.
    They're in riverstown where he seems to have settled down. No I can't see them paying him.

He probably doesn't want to play league of Ireland. He's getting on a bit now!

I'd imagine he'll be linked with every vacant managers job in the country for the next while.

• Advertisement

Sander Puri is fairly class.

Sign him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Oat23 wrote: »
    Sander Puri is fairly class.

Sign him up.

Where does he play

How did the game go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't imagine Joey not doing anything for money.

Where does he play

How did the game go

He plays on the wing, but he can defend and play as a wingback as well I've been told.

It was an encouraging performance. We played nice football that the fans will appreciate. None of that long ball sh*te. I thought Wearan was the best of the new lads signed when he came on, but Puri was the best player on the pitch. Great to have Dinny, Nielsen and Keating all score in the first game as well. Puri provided the cross for Dinny's goal.

I think we should have arranged at least 7 friendlies this year, not 5. We're not in the setanta cup so that is like 2 pre-season games lost.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Joey not doing anything for money.

He can just it for expenses and a supermarket tab again. :)

Puri signed. By all accounts he was quality last night. Could prove to be a great signing.

Oat23 wrote: »
    He plays on the wing, but he can defend and play as a wingback as well I've been told.

It was an encouraging performance. We played nice football that the fans will appreciate. None of that long ball sh*te. I thought Wearan was the best of the new lads signed when he came on, but Puri was the best player on the pitch. Great to have Dinny, Nielsen and Keating all score in the first game as well. Puri provided the cross for Dinny's goal.

I think we should have arranged at least 7 friendlies this year, not 5. We're not in the setanta cup so that is like 2 pre-season games lost.

I think we will do well, there seems to be team spirit and some pride back

Bit strange not being able to defend cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Good workout for Wexford Youths in Dalymount against Bohs this afternoon, winning 2-1. A mix of regulars, debutants and U19 players. There will be more strength in depth in the Youths squad this year

Hopefully Hoare is locked up someone for the next 24 hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

He's claiming a lot of off-the-field success there - any Limerick fans care to comment?

Gearoid Morrissey played all but the first 6 minutes of the second half at Old Trafford replacing former Man Utd Premier League winner Luke Chadwick.

Rory Gaffney was on the bench for them. For some reason I hadn't even realised he'd joined them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I wonder will the dreaded asterix make a return this season....
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

When was the last one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

dreamers75 wrote: »
    When was the last one?

MOnaghan two years ago

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    Gearoid Morrissey played all but the first 6 minutes of the second half at Old Trafford replacing former Man Utd Premier League winner Luke Chadwick.

Rory Gaffney was on the bench for them. For some reason I hadn't even realised he'd joined them!
    Bit depressing that Cambridge is considered a step up from the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

I wouldn't say it's a step up standardwise, I just think championship clubs are more willing to sign a player proven in League1/2 than the LOI which IMO is bad judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Bit depressing that Cambridge is considered a step up from the LOI.

Maybe not a step up in standard, but he's making over 5 times a week than what he was on at City so you can't blame a young fella for trying to make a few bob. I'd be straight over if ever given that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Maybe not a step up in standard, but he's making over 5 times a week than what he was on at City so you can't blame a young fella for trying to make a few bob. I'd be straight over if ever given that option.

Not too mention year too year contracts and not 8 months at a time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not to mention withing 2 months of going to Cambridge he has got to play a competitive fixture in Old Trafford.

• Advertisement

and all the lovely posh students

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

and all the lovely posh students
    he didnt join UCD:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

He's claiming a lot of off-the-field success there - any Limerick fans care to comment?

At first glance it's hard to knock Pat O'Sullivan. He took over the club when it was on the floor and threw plenty of money at us, getting us promoted to the top tier after two odd decades away.

Off the field we have a genuinely impressive youth set up in place now from Baby Blues (kids of 3 or so I believe) right the way up to seniors. The clubs offices and training facilities out in Bruff are also a genuine feather in his cap.

Against that there were some weird decisions in his tenure as well from bringing in half a team in the last window to finish 6th rather than 8th to the fairly pointless Right to Dream link-up to the frankly bizarre appointment of a club German liason last year.

His demeanour ranged from affable to irritating too culminating in a weird half-time address in torrential rain at our last game last season where he effectively castigated those who had bothered to turn up for the club's attendance woes.

The guy came in with great expectations, believing (in my opinion), like so many before him, that his own success in business would allow him to revolutionise the club. He succeeded to a large degree too but he expected others would follow suit and when that didn't happen I think it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Lousy timing though, if we do get relegated this season (as looks likely at the moment) in our return to the Market's Field I'd see us sliding back into the doldrums for the forseeable future.

Garrigai wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a step up standardwise, I just think championship clubs are more willing to sign a player proven in League1/2 than the LOI which IMO is bad judgement.
    CHealy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not saying it's a step up either - I would agree that League 1, League 2 and the LOI Premier are all a fairly similar standard. And I totally understand that players here are going to want to cash in on a move if an offer comes in. But it's the perception I'm talking about.

I was watching the United - Cambridge match last night and it really grated how the commentator patronisingly referred to the lowly, amateur LOI every time Morrissey touched the ball and how he must be delighted to be getting a crack at the big time with Cambridge. Now, I know this is just a f**ktard of a commentator on BT Sport, but it just reminded me of the kind of arguments you encounter on a regular basis against the LOI: even players in League 2 are full-time professionals, playing in front of decent crowds, so the LOI must be a lower standard than League 2, so why should I waste my time paying good money to watch it?

At first glance it's hard to knock Pat O'Sullivan. He took over the club when it was on the floor and threw plenty of money at us, getting us promoted to the top tier after two odd decades away.

Off the field we have a genuinely impressive youth set up in place now from Baby Blues (kids of 3 or so I believe) right the way up to seniors. The clubs offices and training facilities out in Bruff are also a genuine feather in his cap.

Against that there were some weird decisions in his tenure as well from bringing in half a team in the last window to finish 6th rather than 8th to the fairly pointless Right to Dream link-up to the frankly bizarre appointment of a club German liason last year.

His demeanour ranged from affable to irritating too culminating in a weird half-time address in torrential rain at our last game last season where he effectively castigated those who had bothered to turn up for the club's attendance woes.

The guy came in with great expectations, believing (in my opinion), like so many before him, that his own success in business would allow him to revolutionise the club. He succeeded to a large degree too but he expected others would follow suit and when that didn't happen I think it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Lousy timing though, if we do get relegated this season (as looks likely at the moment) in our return to the Market's Field I'd see us sliding back into the doldrums for the forseeable future.

Heard him on the radio and sounded sincere enough. Seemed to be saying there was only so far they could carry it without the community and supporters getting behind Limerick which doesn't seem to have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a step up either - I would agree that League 1, League 2 and the LOI Premier are all a fairly similar standard. And I totally understand that players here are going to want to cash in on a move if an offer comes in. But it's the perception I'm talking about.

I was watching the United - Cambridge match last night and it really grated how the commentator patronisingly referred to the lowly, amateur LOI every time Morrissey touched the ball and how he must be delighted to be getting a crack at the big time with Cambridge. Now, I know this is just a f**ktard of a commentator on BT Sport, but it just reminded me of the kind of arguments you encounter on a regular basis against the LOI: even players in League 2 are full-time professionals, playing in front of decent crowds, so the LOI must be a lower standard than League 2, so why should I waste my time paying good money to watch it?

To be fair there is a bit of classic English arrogance there. They think every league is inferior to their league and every cup competition is inferior to theirs and so on. I get your point though.Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

gimmick wrote: »
    Not to mention withing 2 months of going to Cambridge he has got to play a competitive fixture in Old Trafford.

If I remember correctly,Jay O'Shea also made his debut at Old Trafford after he signed for Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If I remember correctly,Jay O'Shea also made his debut at Old Trafford after he signed for Birmingham.

Correct. He got about 10 minutes.

And got absolutely flattened by Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

And got absolutely flattened by Evra.

Didn't he get beaten by Giggs as well, like he was Mertesacker, actually pulling a fridge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement