Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

And I suspect Rovers are behind Sligs too.

Seriously doubt it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Paulw wrote: »
    With Gary, I was informed that there was a lot more to it than money, and even from the rumours here, the money difference was minimal. 2k over the year? Hardly big money.

With Greg, it was more the package than the bottom line. Besides, who'd want to live in Dundalk? ;)

Not saying that the club didn't make special efforts to target players, but like any team, there are times when you need specific players and are willing to spend extra there and cut back in other areas. With the possibility of Williams and/or Finn leaving to go to the UK, a midfielder to replace was needed.

As for the budget, I think the Rovers budget is much higher than the Fingal one. While the club have secured financing for the coming season, it's nowhere near previous levels.

Maybe players that like playing on front of fans and not empty terraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

With Greg, it was more the package than the bottom line. Besides, who'd want to live in Dundalk? ;)

You don't have to live in Dundalk to play for them.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anto Flood is the most over rated Shels player of all time.

Wow, we're not Cork or Derry or some other Mickey Mouse franchise. That's 115 years you're talking about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the prodigal son is set to return from bohs bringing the racist,with alan kerby from fingal and boco to sign in the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

the periodical son is set to return from bohs .

Was he working on their newsletters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

the periodical son is set to return from bohs bringing the racist,with alan kerby from fingal and boco to sign in the coming days.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Was he working on their newsletters?

Only the monthly red tops.

Sligored wrote: »
    this is where he disappears gavin - when you ask for facts - he is just a wind up merchant afraid of anyone challenging his beloved shams for honours.

Rovers members know the playing budget so I'm sure he does. No idea what Sligo's is but I assume it technically should a lot less than ours given the difference in incoming revenue (for example, membership subs and gates).

That should obviously mean that your squad is nowhere near as good as ours. Is that the case, would you say?

Rovers members know the playing budget so I'm sure he does. No idea what Sligo's is but I assume it technically should a lot less than ours given the difference in incoming revenue (for example, membership subs and gates).

That should obviously mean that your squad is nowhere near as good as ours. Is that the case, would you say?
    ye have a huge squad compared to ours with some quality back up to be called in if anybody gets injured..

ye have a huge squad compared to ours with some quality back up to be called in if anybody gets injured..

Not at the moment though hopefully that may change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I love the thought of Rovers having a huge squad and all the "where are they getting the money from" lines.

Lets do the math for a second.

Players out= 8 (first team only, i've intentionally left out all the squad filler)
    Players in= 4

Yeah, were going out of business any day now with a plan like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

He said that sligos budget was higher than shams - as with most of his drivel he cant back it up with facts - and i think you know that sligos budget is less than yours.

You should know that just because you spend more money does not always mean you get a better team - see cup final 2010 as an example - its how you use the money and thats why i am delighted we have paul cook and shams have michael oneill.

By the way i am no way belittling your league title as i would give my right test**le for that trophy but sligo hope to give ye a decent run for your money this year with our squad being assembled pre june this year. Ye wont fall over the line due to bohs floundering this year.

Sligored wrote: »
    He said that sligos budget was higher than shams - as with most of his drivel he cant back it up with facts - and i think you know that sligos budget is less than yours.

The reason he didn't back it up with facts is because he didn't actually say Sligo's budget was larger than Rovers. He said he suspects it is which in fairness he could well be right. May also be incorrect on the same token.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I don't live on the internet lads. Not sneaking off, just not online.

What I said was that I SUSPECT that Rovers have a wage bill behind Fingal and possibly Sligs. It was clearly a statement of opinion.

I do know what the Rovers wage bill is, but I have no intention of sharing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk's wage bill is circa 8000 a week for 42 weeks.

I would guess that the two Rovers and Fingal would be a lot higher than that, Pats and Derry slightly higher.

James Chambers confirmed for Hamilton Academical.

Big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Newcastle United coming to Terryland Park for a friendly in mid-Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Big loss.

Get any money out of it?

We have a freindly with Sheff Utd for Mac Allister which they really didnt have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Newcastle United coming to Terryland Park for a friendly in mid-Feb.
    Should draw a decent crowd. We could use a few of these games in Sligo, even if the crowds at them tend to disgust me just a bit.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Get any money out of it?

Out of contract.

Really rate him. When/if fit, he's a great player.

• Advertisement

Out of contract.

Really rate him. When/if fit, he's a great player.

if he under 23 you get 17k or so but it gets split with his previous clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

if he under 23 you get 17k or so but it gets split with his previous clubs.

24 next month acordding to stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

doncarlos wrote: »
    Dundalk's wage bill is circa 8000 a week for 42 weeks.

I would guess that the two Rovers and Fingal would be a lot higher than that, Pats and Derry slightly higher.

€8000 including staff? Our budget last year was €7,500 (was a good bit under budget before Matthews started).

Big loss.

And too think Keely didn't rate him and let him go.:rolleyes:

And too think Keely didn't rate him and let him go.:rolleyes:

Keely let Chambers and Mac Allister go?

Keely let Chambers and Mac Allister go?

Let Chambers go, he used to play him at right full ffs! Maccer wanted to move away for the First Division, Keely tried holding on but Premier Football and bigger wages at Pats is always going to be better.

• Advertisement

Let Chambers go, he used to play him at right full ffs! .

Think he ended up playing there a lot for Drogs and filled in there for us sometimes too. Gets a decent amount of goals too. I think if he's gets fitter, he'll do well over there.

Alan Mannus signed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Sligo Rovers Signed Jason McGuinness from Bohemian FC

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Sligo Rovers Signed Jason McGuinness from Bohemian FC
    Not gonna be a popular one up here.

Andy Gray available from Sky, could be good for the league not so good for Rhona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Not gonna be a popular one up here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_McGuinness

someone's been editing :pac:

Let Chambers go, he used to play him at right full ffs!

Played there for us a bit and was a good stand in. Great player when fit but when he ran out of steam for us towards the end of the season good god he was dead weight. Needed to shed a stone or two. Hopefully he will do well with the acces as he is a good sound lad and gave it his all fit or not. Can't ask for anymore than that out of a player.

€8000 including staff? Our budget last year was €7,500 (was a good bit under budget before Matthews started).

I assume it's the players budget, as last year we were told Fosters budget was 8k and i doubt his own wages were in the budget. This years budget as far as I know is meant to be the same.

When we won the first division our budget was €11,000 and we made a profit for the second year in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

doncarlos wrote: »
    When we won the first division our budget was €11,000 and we made a profit for the second year in a row.

Probably in front of much bigger crowds though? More tickets, more money!

Probably in front of much bigger crowds though? More tickets, more money!

Roughly the same crowds but less sponsorship. We made between 100k and 190k (final figure wasn't released) loss in our first season back in the premier league due to sponsorships falling through and we are now in year two of a three year bank loan to pay it back.
    Unless something drastic happens we should have the same budget next season and should be in a very strong position in 2013 with debts cleared and the Youth development centre fully up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Any more pre-season games announced?

I believe Colly James (Sporting Fingal) has been training with Shels lately. Possible move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Any more pre-season games announced?

I believe Colly James (Sporting Fingal) has been training with Shels lately. Possible move there.

Rovers to play a Celtic XI again on Feb. 7th.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1782-celtic-fc-set-for-tallaght

He has indeed, heard he was signing for us a few weeks back and he was at training on Saturday along with a few other Fingal players afaik.

Alan Kirby signed for Sligo Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Alan Kirby signed for Sligo Rovers.

Really sorry to hear that. Very good player and has been one of our better players over the last two seasons. Especially the promotion year where he won fans player of the year. Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement

Get the fudge pictures out lads!
    FAI deny giving financial help as dispute nears an end

SOCCER: THE FAI last night insisted that the ongoing pay and contract wrangle at Bohemians was close to being resolved and denied categorically the club had received any financial help from Abbotstown.

Despite suggestions earlier in the week that the situation in which contracted players, who have not been paid in eight weeks, at Bohemians were close to reaching severance agreement with the club, the dispute remains unresolved.

“(It’s) very close to agreement,” said Fran Gavin, director of the Airtricity League. “We just came from a meeting with the two parties and it’s very close to an agreement and I think it will be sorted in the next few days.”

On the FAI’s involvement, Gavin added: “You have to realise that when you get to a stage in negotiations when the parties get to a stalemate where they can’t move. Sometimes, you need a bit of an input. People take positions and can be very staunch in them. If we can assist in helping it to come to a resolution, well that’s what we’re here for. That’s what we’ve been doing and it’s been welcomed by both sides.”

On suggestions that the club had been advanced prize-money by the FAI, Gavin was adamant. “Absolutely not, categorically not,” he said. “We’re not giving any financial assistance to anybody. We’re trying to get a resolution and solution to the whole thing, that’s what we’re trying to do. We’re very close to it at the moment. It’s very sensitive. The strength of licensing is that it’s independent. What we’re doing in Bohs’ case is trying to help the parties reach a resolution over a dispute. It’s common in any industry.”

Meanwhile, FAI CEO John Delaney last night pledged to provide personal funding for the purchase of €5,000 worth of shares in Drogheda United as the club officially launched their “The Future Starts Here” share initiative through the Claret and Blue Steering Group who are forming a new company to take over club.

In a complete reorganisation and restructuring of the club, Drogheda hope the initiative, in which supporters and other interested parties can purchase shares at €1,000 each, will provide sufficient funds to sustain the club over the next two seasons.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0128/1224288457145.html

So now John Delaney could be a shareholder in Drogheda Utd if they manage to say afloat? Fu**ing joke shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

We have a few players in on trial at the moment.

Some info i saw posted on our forum:

Ryan Gyaki, 25, is a Canadian attacking midfielder who has been capped at Under 20 and Under 23 level. He began his career at Calgary Storm in Canada, before spending a number of years with Sheffield United, featuring regularly for their Youth and Reserve teams. He comes to the club after a couple of years with German side Hansa Rostock.

Patrick Deane, 20, began his career at Scottish side Hibernian, where he played for the Youth and Reserve sides before moving on to Darlington. Patrick has joined the club on trial following a spell at Scottish side Arbroath.

Robert Kovácsevics, 31, is a Hungarian defender who has played for Kaposvári Rákóczi FC in the Hungarian Premier Division. He previously had spells at Pécsi Mecsek FC and Marcali VFC.

Anthony Wolfe, 29, is a defender who has had spells at Cobh Ramblers, Limerick and Kilkenny. He is currently on trial with the club, having played for Wexford Youths last season.

Wolfes the only one i've heard of before. I know someone who played with him at Cobh. The others sound promising as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

We have a few players in on trial at the moment.

I think I'll head along to the game against Cobh tomorrow to have a look, it's been too long without live football. We're meant to be in talks with a few other players besides those four and some lads from the youths could be making the step up.

Anto Murphy to rovers? decent "adaptable" player but his injury would be a major concern.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Well he wasn't injury prone before that so if he's fully over it, it shouldn't be a worry. Great squad player to have.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Anto Murphy to rovers? decent "adaptable" player but his injury would be a major concern.

Oman and Murphy apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Also apparently Graham Gartland to Rovers on loan.

Any word from the Sligs if Boco has signed a new deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

bohsman wrote: »
    Oman and Murphy apparently.

Urm, no thanks.

Both too old for squad players, 28 according to Wiki, would put them par with our eldest player.

Id rather get someone young in if it is to play second string, and I sure as hell wouldnt want either in the starting line up. Dan Murrey and Oman at the back... God please no.

Murphy would be an OK addition if he stays injury-free. Would definitely take Gartland. HJpepfully Kelly too.

• Advertisement

barry murphy was linked to us in one of the rags today.would be a quality signing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement