Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

:rolleyes: No, you didn't.
    Where's the evidence for that? What plans have they got for the future?
    I would say the excessive charge of €25 is to cater for the short term.

I saw a list of some of the work that needs to be done and as Sligo are going to be playing in the Showgrounds for years to come those improvements are long-term.

It's not that long ago the old Cork City were charging €20 to watch the Intertwobob.
    doncarlos wrote: »
    Used to be a great forum but has gotten very poor.

Was always cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Looking like the tickets will be sold out before the draw is even made.

Great stuff! Well done Sligo, bit of a gamble but if that's true it certainly paid off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Zebra3 wrote: »

Was always cack.

Yea, would still be a Cork City forum if Johnny Wards site hadnt closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

It's upgrading it says.

Rovers win first champions league game and fool.ie crashes...coincidence!? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

LiamMc wrote: »
    Non-transfers:
    James Keddy formerly Player/Manager of Bluebell Utd. last season was unable to sign for Longford as he had previously got a tax-rebate/tax refund after retiring from LoI football a few years ago.

Lucky for Longford, James Keddy was a pile of sh"te for Shels, iirc the only thing he ever done for us was score against Limerick in Limerick twice.
    S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Rovers win first champions league game and fool.ie crashes...coincidence!? :P

The boycott got to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I saw a list of some of the work that needs to be done and as Sligo are going to be playing in the Showgrounds for years to come those improvements are long-term.
    was just reading in the sligo champion that they are installing about 1000 seats on the railway side, lengthening the pitch on the other, then they need press boxes for 50 people and improved tv gantrys etc. cost of about 50k.
    reckon between the fundraising (someone earlier said 40k) and the hype they are getting up-as in getting the tickets sold at 25 a go before the draw (25x3700seats=92k, a crowd of 1500 will net them just shy of another 40k) they will have a nicely improved stadium with most/all of it paid straight off.

just to add in aswell the 90k for being in the round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

overshoot wrote: »
    was just reading in the sligo champion that they are installing about 1000 seats on the railway side, lengthening the pitch on the other, then they need press boxes for 50 people and improved tv gantrys etc. cost of about 50k.
    reckon between the fundraising (someone earlier said 40k) and the hype they are getting up-as in getting the tickets sold at 25 a go before the draw (25x3700seats=92k, a crowd of 1500 will net them just shy of another 40k) they will have a nicely improved stadium with most/all of it paid straight off.

just to add in aswell the 90k for being in the round

Well...its not as straight as that im afraid. There are a lot of other things that come into effect with having a bigger stadium. Fire lisences, policing, stewarding etc all goes up a lot with bigger attendances. Rovers have doubled our capacity and while we arnt filling both sides our income from attendance has not rose directly in line with people in the ground due to the additional things needed.

But im sure it will pay off eventually, doubt turn over would be that quick. Are Sligo asking for money up front from the FAI to fund the ground btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The seating being installed at the railway end is temporary, not permanent. Just want to point that out for those thinking it's permanent. The only other things changing are the length of the pitch and the facilities for TV people. That's about it.

Uefa rules say temp seating can be installed on a permanent structure before someone asks.

Is it going down after? or is it just rented?

I assume the same kinda job done in lansdowne when they did away with behind the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Rented I was told. A guy posted on the rovers forum saying he thought the seats were staying until after the Irish U-21 Euro qualifier games(August 8th and September 1st) so we'll see.

• Advertisement

Ebbs wrote: »
    Rovers have doubled our capacity

Rovers as in Shamrock Rovers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Tickets for Sligo Rovers Europa League match now sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Tickets for Sligo Rovers Europa League match now sold out

Two weeks before the game. And a day before the draw has even been made. Not too shabby.

Well...its not as straight as that im afraid. There are a lot of other things that come into effect with having a bigger stadium. Fire lisences, policing, stewarding etc all goes up a lot with bigger attendances. Rovers have doubled our capacity and while we arnt filling both sides our income from attendance has not rose directly in line with people in the ground due to the additional things needed.

But im sure it will pay off eventually, doubt turn over would be that quick. Are Sligo asking for money up front from the FAI to fund the ground btw?

i know that i just made the point that from this one off match (i am aware its over 2 games and they may also go though) they are up probably 200k? minus a stadium upgrade of 50k. im sure the other 150k will cover the stewards and players wages for the week along with any necessary fire certs etc+flights to the next game. lets face it the attendance jump for this game and then filter back down to what it was and the usual gate of 10k or so im guessing

just to add dont know if they are asking for the money up front, but i have included it in the 200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats have paid 130k in travelleing costs for 2 trips.

We get 90k per round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The cost of temporary seating works out about 20 quid a seat IIRC. Not much change left from a 25 quid ticket although it could be a good bet if more rounds are reached.
    Rovers as in Shamrock Rovers? :confused:

The east stand nearly doubled the capacity when added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/united-sign-koreans

Yob Son and Jin Gu Kim have signed for United.

Stephen Conlon, Longfords 3rd choice keeper is signing for Mons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Hadnt heard that. You sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

well apparently he was let go from us this week, along with paddy colins, lee roche and dan reilly, we have signed a few players before letting these go though so not too bad, got rid of squad players for players who will be pushing for starting places. conlon does be very dodgy!

on another note, don cowan is apparently on trial with millwall after impressing in the friendly game them and the town played last week!

stovelid wrote: »
    The east stand nearly doubled the capacity when added.

Wasn't exactly done by Rovers, was it?

Wasn't exactly done by Rovers, was it?

I know. It's terrible. I'd swap it for Tolka in an heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

The boycott got to them!
    What boycott is that?

Witchie wrote: »
    Hadnt heard that. You sure about that?

:D Must be a first where you don't know a player signing for you! ;)
    born2bwild wrote: »
    What boycott is that?

Can't remember what I was talking about but I'd say it was their boycott of foot.ie or could have been Derry away.

Philly Gorman officially signed for Shels during the week. Hopefully be fit soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

:D Must be a first where you don't know a player signing for you! ;)

I know! Hate this being out of the loop a little stuff. :-(

http://weplayonfridays.com/liverpool-v-waterford-united-match-report/

Satircal review of Waterford vs Liverpool.

Bet someone gets offended, funny and well written tho.

Brilliant article. Would it be trolling to post it in the Liverpool thread?

This is a field

best laugh iv had in a while, thanks dreamers

Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Probably.
    Most of them are likely take it literally and discuss the points made within it...

Most of them are likely take it literally and discuss the points made within it...

Take for example the thread on the Irish Kop forum about the Waterford Utd match when a couple of them weren't allowed hang a bedsheet with "Don't Buy The Sun" on it. They've been posting in on Newstalks Facebook and getting in touch with Waterford Utd themselves.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Na, they would just boycott Waterford Crystal.

Take for example the thread on the Irish Kop forum about the Waterford Utd match when a couple of them weren't allowed hang a bedsheet with "Don't Buy The Sun" on it. They've been posting in on Newstalks Facebook and getting in touch with Waterford Utd themselves.:D

Sweet lantern of f#cking jaysis.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0726/nireland_mannus.html

Does Worthington hate ireland or Rovers ? :confused: Mannus was in squads with Linfield i think so a bit of a step up to play LOI. Mc Clean with Derry so maybe he just hates rovers?

Thats a fcukin joke. Sometimes I agree with International managers telling players they need to move to a better league to prove themselves. If trap told Finn/whoever that he needed to move to the PL to get his game for Ireland, id pack his bag and wish him goodluck.

This is totally different though. He hasnt played one game before he was called up. He hasnt proven he is any better than he is. Its not like the moved only made him noticed as he's been called up before.
    "Whenever I signed for Rovers and he spoke to me after that, he was sort of a bit disappointed with it and he was saying, 'well, it's done now, we'll deal with it.' Those were his exact words to me and I was wondering, 'Well, what does that mean?' So that sort of said to me that he wasn't too keen on it," he said last October.

"He wants players to be playing in England and Scotland. And then I'd played a few games here, say five or so, and I was back in the squad again and he said to me, 'Have you been playing?' and I said 'Yeah' and I thought: 'Should you not be aware if I've been playing or not if you have me in your squad?'

"So I could tell just from the way he was going on that he wasn't too keen on players playing here."

The league standard is twice that of the Irish League, and with champions league football its above the top half (atleast) of the Scottish league. He just reads the newspapers by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The league standard is twice that of the Irish League

Easily. Dundalk beat three of the top four sides in the Setanta cup this year at their home grounds when we were more less still in pre-season mode. Any of the top 6 LOI sides would win the league up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0726/nireland_mannus.html

Does Worthington hate ireland or Rovers ? :confused: Mannus was in squads with Linfield i think so a bit of a step up to play LOI. Mc Clean with Derry so maybe he just hates rovers?

He has to call up McClean in order to cap him and prevent the chance that he might decide to look elsewhere for his international football. Once he caps him though, he'll ignore him until he leaves the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Thats a fcukin joke. Sometimes I agree with International managers telling players they need to move to a better league to prove themselves. If trap told Finn/whoever that he needed to move to the PL to get his game for Ireland, id pack his bag and wish him goodluck.

This is totally different though. He hasnt played one game before he was called up.
    Has he even trained with St. Johnstone? Given that exactly the same thing happened with Paddy McCourt, it does suggest that Worthington has an issue with the LOI. Is this a manifestation of his dislike of the FAI for nicking his players?!? Cos they can have Darren Gibson back.

Anyways, is playing in the SPL really a step up from playing in Europe?

Mannus was called up when playing for Rovers and turned it down.

LOI pisses on the Irish League and Mannus hasn't moved to a better club by any means.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Has he even trained with St. Johnstone?

He has Sat on the bench and on the plane to scotland. Probally the same roll Worthington has in mind for him I guess.
    Mannus was called up when playing for Rovers and turned it down.

In the article Al says that it was out of no way merit. He just picked him out of the blue. Not only did he not watch him play, he never even knew if he was playing.

He was called up for a game against America IIRC, we were playing Bohs the same weekend. Turning down playing a friendly for one of the deciding and big turning points of the season is hardly shocking. Mannus even released a statement saying he would love to be called up again but club commitments had to come first.

He was called up for a game against America IIRC, we were playing Bohs the same weekend.

I think it was against Chile, in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, it was an end of season tour in the US, but Mannus has spoken to Worthington, explained the situation and Worthington had given him the green light to skip it. Only to never call him up again - until he left the League of Ireland.

djpbarry wrote: »

Anyways, is playing in the SPL really a step up from playing in Europe?

No

No

He'll be getting higher wages and playing in better facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

He'll be getting higher wages and playing in better facilities.
    It's the higher profile and greater media exposure more so than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I think it was against Chile, in America.

No, it was definitely against Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

longford town have signed a lad called daniel purdy, he is just back from west ham where he was playing for last few years, he is an irish underage international, he scored 2 against us in a friendly against shamrock rovers last week who he lined out for but he never signed for them. his father played for rovers and derry city in the 90's and early 00's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

flas wrote: »
    longford town have signed a lad called daniel purdy, he is just back from west ham where he was playing for last few years, he is an irish underage international, he scored 2 against us in a friendly against shamrock rovers last week who he lined out for but he never signed for them. his father played for rovers and derry city in the 90's and early 00's!
    and Dundalk and UCD and.......

• Advertisement

Turning down playing a friendly for one of the deciding and big turning points of the season is hardly shocking. Mannus even released a statement saying he would love to be called up again but club commitments had to come first.

I know all of this.

I just meant that NW did call Mannus up though.

I agree though: there has to be some sectarian thinking behind recent NI team selection as regards favouring some other teams/leagues over the LOi though. Maybe also a grudge regarding the controversy over NI players opting for the Republic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement