Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

gimmick wrote: »
    Agreed, but there is talk that Sligo may be releasing him from the contract.

Why would we do that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Des wrote: »
    Eric Foley was with Shels one of the seasons we weren't promoted, wasn't good enough for us then, can't see him being good enough for FORAS in the PD now.

Yeah he is crap.*

*May not be true, indeed is a total falsification as he was one of our best players last year and I do not want to lose him so am saying he is crap so Cork wont take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Why would we do that :confused:

I don't know. Perhaps because Cook knows he will not get any game time this season with Sligo and rather than having an unhappy player taking a wage, ye could let him go, get him off the wage bill and still take in a few quid off the compo we would have to pay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

because hes a striker that rarely scores. you seen in the final the three easy chances he missed when he came on. hes a good all round player but lacks goal scoring which is what you need in a striker. although the formation we play dosnt help him as hed work better with a second striker.

Probably the best striker in the league in terms of holding up the ball, his performance away to Poltava in Europe was one of the finest performances by any player I've ever seen, no other striker in the league could have put in that sort of perfomance. I hope he doesn't leave a lot of our fans are very quick to get on his back. As for the final one of them he probably should've scored but the keeper got out to him very quickly, one was a good block by a defender after a great run and the third was a shot at the edge of the box which he should've gotten on target but was by no means an easy chance. Doesn't score much against the better sides but he was ruthless against the weaker teams last year. He'll be a great signing for Cork if it's true, but I reckon he might stay with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hes a shocking bad footballer whos past his best. And his best wasn't all that good.

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I don't know. Perhaps because Cook knows he will not get any game time this season with Sligo and rather than having an unhappy player taking a wage, ye could let him go, get him off the wage bill and still take in a few quid off the compo we would have to pay out?
    Seems like you're being overly optimistic. We'd have to assemble some squad before there'd be any chance of that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    Derry will now have the money to strengthen a squad that came close

Where are they getting this extra money from? :confused:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Where are they getting this extra money from? :confused:

Thiought they got £350k for McClean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Witchie wrote: »
    hearing that Mons player Eric Foley may be Cork bound. :-(
    Awful player. Cork have Duggan and Morrissey. What in the name of jaysus would they want with Foley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thiought they got £350k for McClean?

Doesn't all money from transfers not have to go to pay off old debtors or was I imagining that?

As for Foley, not a hope in hell he's Premier Division standard, he's muck and his attitude is even worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hes a shocking bad footballer whos past his best. And his best wasn't all that good.

Yeah....

No.

Glenn Cronin to Shels?

Paddy Kavanagh to Derry?

Gotta love silly season.

Paddy Kavanagh to Derry?

You'll know soon enough on Twittter where he's going, no doubt.

• Advertisement

Gavin Kavanagh has signed a new deal with City so he is staying. Happy enough with that, but still hope Dan Murray joins as well. We would have a nice depth at CB then.

Murray will go.

Top player but getting on now and it's time to make a step down in level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Paddy Kavanagh to Derry?

Paddy had offers from Derry and Sligo last season, so i'd say the offers could still be on the table, but I was speaking to someone very close to Paddy and was told he has an offer from England, would'nt say what club/league, but reliable source

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Paddy had offers from Derry and Sligo last season, so i'd say the offers could still be on the table, but I was speaking to someone very close to Paddy and was told he has an offer from England, would'nt say what club/league, but reliable source

Paddy is a nice fella but it's a pity his application and brain are not in kilter with his talent. Don't think the lad will ever realise his potential which is a shame. A player like Dennehy could only hope to have the natural ability of Paddy but his fitness, attitude and commitment makes him three times the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Paddy is a nice fella but it's a pity his application and brain are not in kilter with his talent. Don't think the lad will ever realise his potential which is a shame. A player like Dennehy could only hope to have the natural ability of Paddy but his fitness, attitude and commitment makes him three times the player.

3 times you say.

Amazing stuff.

• Advertisement

3 times you say.

Amazing stuff.

Figure of speech. Three times more effective then. Which is what really matters unless we're in the Top Trumps mode so beloved of this forum with the Is Messi The Best Bicycle Kicker In The World stuff.

Billy was our top scorer this year and although often inconsistent (can drive me mad) the guy never puts in less than a honest shift and works very hard despite having a large number of supporters on his back.

If hes as good as you seem to think (I haven't seen enough to judge) he could do worse than a move up here.

Cook seems to have the ability to get the best out of players like this. Richie Ryan being the obvious example.

Doesn't all money from transfers not have to go to pay off old debtors or was I imagining that?

Why would the new club be paying off the debts of the old club?

They're seperate entities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

If hes as good as you seem to think (I haven't seen enough to judge) he could do worse than a move up here.

Cook seems to have the ability to get the best out of players like this. Richie Ryan being the obvious example.

I'd agree with stovelid here. PK has bags and bags of talent and technique however he just isn't interested at all in doing anything with it. No drive, no determination and once he gets a hit on the pitch no interest in the game what so ever.

Got bags of ability for sure. Everything iregk said is true. He's not only a shirker on the pitch but physically lightweight. Didn't impose himself and look for the ball out wide.

Paddy's attitude for me is also a bit off: fond of mouthing off on twitter and bad-mouthing team mates. He seemed happy just pulling a wage and milking some of the Euro trips rather than breaking into the team.

In his defence, he had long spells of injury - another potential worry, pehrpas.

He'll shine initially (he's a super footballer) but whether he keeps it up is another thing. Sligo strike me as a team that work hard in most positions (bar N'do :pac:) - dunoo if you could carry Paddy but maybe I'll be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Got bags of ability for sure. Everything iregk said is true. He's not only a shirker on the pitch but physically lightweight. Didn't impose himself and look for the ball out wide.

Paddy's attitude for me is also a bit off: fond of mouthing off on twitter and bad-mouthing team mates. He seemed happy just pulling a wage and milking some of the Euro trips rather than breaking into the team.

In his defence, he had long spells of injury - another potential worry, pehrpas.

He'll shine initially (he's a super footballer) but whether he keeps it up is another thing. Sligo strike me as a team that work hard in most positions (bar N'do :pac:) - dunoo if you could carry Paddy but maybe I'll be proved wrong.

Ndo is one of are hardest working players, a good example is when we beat ye in the showgrounds last summer, he was like a holding midfielder the way he kept Finn in his pocket that day.

edolan wrote: »
    Ndo is one of are hardest working players, a good example is when we beat ye in the showgrounds last summer, he was like a holding midfielder the way he kept Finn in his pocket that day.

I could have kept Finn in my pocket for a lot of games last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

CSF wrote: »
    Awful player. Cork have Duggan and Morrissey. What in the name of jaysus would they want with Foley?

You may ask them coz he was tweeting that he is Cork bound. Also heard it from one of his Mons team mates.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why would the new club be paying off the debts of the old club?

They're seperate entities.

Well aware they're seperate entities, but could have sworn it was said during last season that if they sold any player for a fee it would be used to pay off old creditors. I could be completely imagining things tbh.
    You may ask them coz he was tweeting that he is Cork bound. Also heard it from one of his Mons team mates.

Cobh Ramblers maybe? Douglas Hall FC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Maybe he's heading down for the Jazz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I could have kept Finn in my pocket for a lot of games last season.

Big Dec could've had him in his pocket after halfway..actually perhaps that's where he still is:eek:

dfx- wrote: »
    Big Dec could've had him in his pocket after halfway..actually perhaps that's where he still is:eek:

Maybe Karl Moore and Paddy Kavanagh are there as well. :pac:

dfx- wrote: »

Sure there's room in that leather jacket somewhere for them.:D

Richie Ryan gone to Dunde United.

Anyone know if Sligo got a fee or if he was out of contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Out of contract - Hope he does well over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Any chance of Dennehy going back to Cork?

Are the rumour about Cook threatening to walk over his playing budget true?

Don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ya seminally gone. no one seems to know though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Structure for next season

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7103/2012-league-structure-confirmed/
    Following tonight’s Annual Clubs’ Convention, the NLEC has agreed the following structure for the 2012 Airtricity League Season:

The season will commence on Friday, 2nd March 2012.

Premier Division

12 Clubs x 3 Rounds (33 fixtures)

12th placed Club automatically relegated.

11th placed Club takes part in two-leg Promotion/Relegation Play-off.

First Division

The winners of the First Division will be automatically promoted to the Premier Division.

The second placed Club plays the third placed Club in a Play-off.

The winners of this play-off will play the 11th placed Premier Division Club in a two-leg Promotion/Relegation Play-off for a place in the 2013 Premier Division.

Mid-Season Break

This will coincide generally with the Republic of Ireland’s Euro 2012 campaign. Exact dates will be finalised after the Euro 2012 draw.

End of Season date

Weekend ending Sunday, 28th October 2012.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

so back to a few years ago. It's ridiculous how a team can get an advantage in this league through fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

ya seminally gone. no one seems to know though.

I'm sure someone will find the stains.

Nutsy confirmed.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

SantryRed wrote: »
    so back to a few years ago. It's ridiculous how a team can get an advantage in this league through fixtures.

Can't wait to hear the whinging on here when Rovers get an extra home game over Sligo :D

doncarlos wrote: »
    Can't wait to hear the whinging on here when Rovers get an extra home game over Sligo :D

Dublin-centric masonic conspiracy.

• Advertisement

Few rumors of applicants for the Dundalk job include Mark McGhee, ex Celtic player Tommy Johnson and former Senegal international goalkeeper Tony Sylva.

Haven't heard any talk of any domestic applicants

As long as we are at home the last day of the season, I dont care about the 2 away, 1 home balance. We are going to be in The Pale every 2 weeks anyway more or less, so it does not make too big a difference.

From a financial point of view for the forthcoming season though, would love 2 homes again Derry, Shams and Shels.

Haven't heard any talk of any domestic applicants

Just after I wrote that read that I read that Buckly is in the frame for the job and has already been shown around Oriel.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/league-of-ireland-clubs-reject-plan-for-twotier-split-2945761.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

its shels and cork that do the moaning on here now. if we played like we did the last time we were there let them have all the games there

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Very witty and not tiresome at all...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement