Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, I've heard Pat's were in talks with Dawson and also that they made Philly Huge an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well, I've heard Pat's were in talks with Dawson and also that they made Philly Huge an offer.

Probably Bucko's been in talks...

Just been confirmed as our new manager... http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=4594

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Zebra3 wrote: »

Buckley was calling players for the last 2 weeks, yay cant wait to make 57 passes without a shot on goal. Dawson and another Shels player lined up.

Shortall going to shels, smashing player realyl liked him last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Probably Bucko's been in talks...

Just been confirmed as our new manager... http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=4594
    I don't know what to make of this - something about Buckley I don't like. I think Pete deserved at least another year.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Buckley was calling players for the last 2 weeks, yay cant wait to make 57 passes without a shot on goal. Dawson and another Shels player lined up.

That's a pity - I liked the look of him. Dawson would be a decent addition though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Daryl Horgan confirmed as a Cork City player after signing from Sligo on a permanent basis. Small cash up front, huge incentives should he go abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Very harsh on Pete Mahon who did a decent job at Pats. Football is a business now though and Buckey's style of football will bring more punters through the gate.

Really hope that Mahon doesn't come to Dundalk. Can't see me buying a season ticket if he does as couldn't stomach watching rubbish football all season. Seen 7 years of it in the first division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

gimmick wrote: »
    Daryl Horgan confirmed as a Cork City player after signing from Sligo on a permanent basis. Small cash up front, huge incentives should he go abroad.
    Disappointed at that to be honest. Thought he'd be good enough for us.

He is the head off Damian Duff.

393419_320936837918015_131871873491180_1371095_2055988277_n.jpg

doncarlos wrote: »
    Really hope that Mahon doesn't come to Dundalk. Can't see me buying a season ticket if he does as couldn't stomach watching rubbish football all season.
    I think the 'direct' nature of Pete's teams is overstated. Sure, Pats went "over the top" a little too often for my liking, but you're always going to be tempted to do that with two quick front men. Pats were quite capable of it getting it down and knocking about when it suited them.

'CITY TIL I DIE'. :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Harsh on Pete Mahon, real old school manager who sorted out Pats when he first arrived. Will be interesting to see what Buckley can achieve on a 'restrained' budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

John Gill to Bohs?

Jason McGuiness the latest to sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Evening Echo had Daryl Horgan staying in Sligo on Wednesday evening.

Not the 1st time they have got it wrong.

Delighted. Superb talent.

"I could see why some of the boys took him for snobby. He had a quiet way about him, a walk and a talk that just wasn't normal around here. He strolled, like a man in a park without a care or a worry in the world, like he had on an invisible coat that would shield him from this place. Yeah, I think it would be fair to say... I liked Duffer from the start. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dawson signing for us. Can only imagine the other player is Boyle, Fitzgerald or Byrne? Probably Boyle if we're signing another centre-half (Shortall) with us also being linked with Conor Kenna.

Byrne, Fitzgerald O brien Mc Faul O neil and Dawson have been contacted.

A Fingal reunion on the cards, hope he uses our feckin centrebacks from last season cos Sportings were rubbish.

Byrne, Fitzgerald O brien Mc Faul O neil and Dawson have been contacted.

A Fingal reunion on the cards, hope he uses our feckin centrebacks from last season cos Sportings were rubbish.
    Well Dawson is signing for us according to himself. Won't be too upset if Byrne and Fitzgerald go your way. They'd both be welcome back though if we do offer them a new deal and they decide to stay. Both will be big earners for whichever club takes them on.

Bolger saying he signing for us.

CSF North told pats fans he signing for us, noone at our club to offer him anything. Until you see them wearing the jersey in the 1st match they havent really signed*

* Conor Kenna, Paisley etc:

Bolger saying he signing for us.

CSF North told pats fans he signing for us, noone at our club to offer him anything. Until you see them wearing the jersey in the 1st match they havent really signed*

* Conor Kenna, Paisley etc:
    Yeah but you could say that about anyone from any team in relation to any team, which defeats the purpose of these threads.

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah but you could say that about anyone from any team in relation to any team, which defeats the purpose of these threads.

Nope fairly sure only in the LOI can you sign for a team and play for another in the 1st game of the season.

Fact most of the players are normal people who people know makes these threads golden.

have you a confirmed manager btw ?

• Advertisement

Nope fairly sure only in the LOI can you sign for a team and play for another in the 1st game of the season.

Fact most of the players are normal people who people know makes these threads golden.

have you a confirmed manager btw ?
    I was referring to any one in the LOI but sure, I assume we aren't getting an official confirmation of Matthews, but if he has signed back players already one can only assume he has signed. Our 3 top players wouldn't have signed if their manager hadn't.

I was referring to any one in the LOI but sure, I assume we aren't getting an official confirmation of Matthews, but if he has signed back players already one can only assume he has signed. Our 3 top players wouldn't have signed if their manager hadn't.

They would if they were gauranteed a wage.

They would if they were gauranteed a wage.
    But they wouldn't be if Matthews decided tomorrow not to sign a contract.

But they wouldn't be if Matthews decided tomorrow not to sign a contract.

Dunno about that, 95% of LOI players free agents. In this climate they would snap the hand of any offer right now.

Most of them have other jobs, so signing pre xmas gives them some sort of stability.

Tbh i think we are one of the only clubs with a manager, Sligo dont have one yet signing players? Or has cook signed on as well hes out of contract too afaik???(not sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Is the info@loi.ie email address defunct or what? Any alternatives to write in about the league?

Dunno about that, 95% of LOI players free agents. In this climate they would snap the hand of any offer right now.

Most of them have other jobs, so signing pre xmas gives them some sort of stability.

Tbh i think we are one of the only clubs with a manager, Sligo dont have one yet signing players? Or has cook signed on as well hes out of contract too afaik???(not sure)
    Cook signed a three year contract. 2012 will be his third.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Cook signed a three year contract. 2012 will be his third.

Seriously your under the table shenagigans convinced him to sign a 3 year contract.

Good luck with that ****, mad how it still happens in LOI. Its like we never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Tommy Dunne was given a three year contract in Cork as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really really like Sligo Rovers, my second favourite team. But they are going to be found out big time, sooner or later!! This league never learns!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I really really like Sligo Rovers, my second favourite team. But they are going to be found out big time, sooner or later!! This league never learns!
    Can't be found out if you're doing nothing wrong. First priority of Sligo Rovers is survival as a club.

I'd be more concerned about Cork. Paying transfer fees for players with the amount of free agents knocking about is madness.

Seriously your under the table shenagigans convinced him to sign a 3 year contract.

Good luck with that ****, mad how it still happens in LOI. Its like we never learn.
    What under the table shenanigans would that be exactly?

I'd be more concer about Cork. Paying transfer fees for players with the amount of free agents knocking about is madness.

The fee is pretty tiny. I would agree otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Source ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The old LOI cycle

Club X commits financial peccadillo

Rumours start in small, LOI community between supporters of clubs A, B and C

Supporters of club X tell others to provide source

Supporters of club X dismiss rumours from club A as jealously

Club X found out

Club Y commits financial peccadillo

Rumours start in small, LOI community between supporters of clubs A, B, C and X

Supporters of club Y tell others to provide source

Supporters of club Y dismiss rumours from club X as jealously

Club Y found out

/Repeat

Can't be found out if you're doing nothing wrong.
    So the fact that Sligo are the only full-time outfit in the league, with nowhere near the largest fan base, doesn't raise the odd question in your mind? The fact that Cook has now on two occasions threatened to walk if he doesn't get the budget he wants doesn't set off any alarm bells?

This isn't jealously. I'm in the same boat as monkey9 - I like Sligo. They play good football. They're a good advert for the league. But how can they support a full-time set up? The numbers just don't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

They work very hard off the pitch to keep the show on the road.

Don't see any banks giving them much rope.

Full time football doesn't have to equate to financial recklessness if its done right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

i do wonder how sligo are not running at a loss but didnt they announce a profit of 62k at the agm last year? im still suspicious though....

I would find it hard to beleive that Sligo assembled the team without a wage bill not very far off ours.

Like everybody else, I don't wish them any ill-will outside of the usual football rivalry but our income streams are clear to see: average attendance was 2,5 times theirs and we have around 250k a year coming in from membership and that's before you consider sponsorship and Euro/prize money.

Just saying.

At the end of the day, the LOI community is small and rumours are usually founded. Every round of whispering about a club in the last 10 years (including us) have basically ended up being founded.

djpbarry wrote: »
    So the fact that Sligo are the only full-time outfit in the league, with nowhere near the largest fan base, doesn't raise the odd question in your mind?
    We are full time in the same way Shams are. I assume Cork and Derry operate in the same manner. Our players are full time for the duration of the season. None of them are on big money though.

Players with big demands will not be re-signed for next year. Much like Boco the past two seasons.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    The fact that Cook has now on two occasions threatened to walk if he doesn't get the budget he wants doesn't set off any alarm bells?
    Once. Two years ago, and there was more too it than that.

stovelid wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the LOI community is small and rumours are usually founded. Every round of whispering about a club in the last 10 years (including us) have basically ended up being founded.
    And every such rumour over the last 10 years has been met with an accusation of jealousy.

• Advertisement

Corry Bolger Powell and Carroll in talks with Buckley today.

Mc Faul a shoe in.

Bermo to rovers? strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

we offer 36 week contracts are what ever the league is. players dont get paid during the off season. we run a tight ship. we got a lot of money from our 500 club as well as the club lotto on a weekly basis then our gate which is usually around the 2k figure with about 3-400 season tickets.have a small coaching staff of 3 including the manager.then the rest is voluntary work. large contributions come from the trust and the dsc as well as all the other draws through out the year.are treasure is excellent with the finances and was a very good business man till he retired and is very good at raising money for fund raisers. we upgraded the group for Europe at minimal cost to the club as the fans decided to leave their season tickets at home for a game. which saved the club a lot of money. theses rumours happen each off season at this stage by a club whose supporters claim to know all about every club in the league. dosnt take rocket science to know who it is..
    Btw still waiting to hear word back on our Finances that were to be investigated from last season that was claimed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

We are full time in the same way Shams are. I assume Cork and Derry operate in the same manner. Our players are full time for the duration of the season. None of them are on big money though.

Players with big demands will not be re-signed for next year. Much like Boco the past two seasons.

Once. Two years ago, and there was more too it than that.

Shamrock rovers are not full time.

theses rumours happen each off season at this stage by a club whose supporters claim to know all about every club in the league. dosnt take rocket science to know who it is..
    Btw still waiting to hear word back on our Finances that were to be investigated from last season that was claimed

This could have been written by a Bohs supporter two seasons ago. Word for word: right down to the sneering about the investigation.

As for if you're above level or not: I hope so as I've no grudge one way or another. I just want the league to improve.

And supporters from at least two other clubs have said the same thing on this thread so don't try and pass it off as Rovers.

I'll stand by the guess that the Sligo wage bill cannot not be far behind ours (which incidentally is also part-time contracts): the league table doesn't often lie.

paulcorr wrote: »
    Shamrock rovers are not full time.
    Define 'full time'. They run in a similar manner to us in this respect but choose to call it by a different name.

We've had the debate about what constitutes part or full time here before.

Technically part-time refers to the fact that players are not paid over the close season (unless they ask to have their part-time contract spread over 52 weeks) even though most don't hold other jobs during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Work with Buckleys son so will try get some info on whats going on.

We've had the debate about what constitutes part or full time here before.

Technically part-time refers to the fact that players are not paid over the close season (unless they ask to have their part-time contract spread over 52 weeks) even though most don't hold other jobs during the season.
    In that case we are part time too.

the league table doesn't often lie.

It has done so on many occasions in relation to clubs' spending.

Not that I'm not saying that nothing's not going on at Sligo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

oldyouth wrote: »
    Harsh on Pete Mahon, real old school manager who sorted out Pats when he first arrived. Will be interesting to see what Buckley can achieve on a 'restrained' budget

Bucko doesn't work on restrained budgets. He ignored advice given to him at Sporting Fingal and look where they are now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement