Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

I can't imagine North, Quigley and Boco would come cheap. I wonder will this gamble for success pay off...

There just rumours, I presonally don't think either of them will be playing for Rovers next year, the new sponser is a relief though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Monaghan looking for a repeat of the 2001 season or what?

Who was the Monaghan manager back then? Was this the team that got promoted? They played some fantastic football. All short passing football if I remember correctly (it is 10 years ago).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

O Neill thing

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/oneill-to-quit-hoops-this-week-after-final-euro-fling-2960323.html

Interested to know what O neills direction is compared to the clubs?

Hope Roy Keane rumours are complete bollix.......really i hope they are. Even i wouldnt wish that on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As far as budget goes, the dog should be wagging the tail and not the other way around...unlike some other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

So does this mean Bohs and Shams will be going head-to-head for Rod's signature?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

djpbarry wrote: »
    So does this mean Bohs and Shams will be going head-to-head for Rod's signature?

that would mean he'd be shafting Mons though, and as Witchie will tell us, Poor Roderick is just a misunderstood simpleton who wouldn't do anything to harm them, or feather his own nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Royston to Shams would be wonderful to watch from the outside :D

Going back a couple of pages, I got the sponsorless Shels shirt last month and it's fantastic. Love the simple look without logos plastered everywhere.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Interested to know what O neills direction is compared to the clubs?

The direction signposted by big euro signs.

Dervan spinning for his betters again, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been busy and out of country over past few weeks but have Cork City sold or signed anybody and any updates on current players will they be staying around?

Gannon and Kerr linked to Rovers, please be Kerr.

Gannons a smashing manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Been busy and out of country over past few weeks but have Cork City sold or signed anybody and any updates on current players will they be staying around?

A lot re-signed, Kevin Murray has returned, and Daryl Horgan in permanently on a two-year contract.

Cork City confirmed squad for 2012:
    Cathal Lordan
    Danny Murphy
    Daryl Horgan
    Gavin Kavanagh
    Gearóid Morrissey
    Graham Cummins
    Ian Turner
    Kalen Spillane
    Kevin Murray
    Shane Duggan
    Stephen Mulcahy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

overshoot wrote: »
    my bad... now remember i asked ye to beat derry too! (il settle for a draw)
    Sorry! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Gutted to hear that 3 of the best Youths players are heading to Waterford. Danny Furlong, Ben Ryan & Darragh Walshe.

No players, no manager, no money...........:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The AGM of Galway United Supporters Trust (GUST) held on Mon 12th Dec 2011 unanimously agreed to

(i) End its agreement with the directors of Galway United Football Club in relation to its day-to-day
    management of the club.
    (ii) Submit an independent licence application for membership of the 2012 Airtricity League in the
    name of Galway United Supporters Trust Football Club.

The Supporters Trust chair, David Flaherty, told a well-attended meeting that the challenging experience
    of the 2011 season had prepared the Supporters Trust well for the demands of fielding a vibrant,
    sustainable club in next season's First Division.

The Trust's objective is to return Galway senior soccer back to its roots as a community club run and
    directed by its members.

Secretary Mike Daly told the meeting about the significant backing afforded by the UEFA-funded
    organisation Supporters Direct. The mission statement of Supporters Direct is to promote sustainable
    spectator sports clubs, based on supporters' involvement and community ownership. A representative
    from this organisation recently travelled to Galway and has thrown their considerable weight and
    expertise behind the efforts of GUST in preparing the licence application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Who was the Monaghan manager back then? Was this the team that got promoted? They played some fantastic football. All short passing football if I remember correctly (it is 10 years ago).

Bobby Browne was manager. Aidan Collins is staying and signed yesterday. ryan is still talking to Roddyas is Gabby so only one gone for definite is Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Cronin signs for Shels this morning. Not too much of a surprise to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

oldyouth wrote: »
    Gutted to hear that 3 of the best Youths players are heading to Waterford. Danny Furlong, Ben Ryan & Darragh Walshe.

No players, no manager, no money...........:(

No money?

Are you not amateur anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No money?

Are you not amateur anyway.
    Totally amateur. However, bills still have to be paid. Electricity, Insurance, Ground Maintenance, Printers, Match Officials, Diesel for the best bus in the league :D, shampoo for Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

The AGM of Galway United Supporters Trust (GUST) held on Mon 12th Dec 2011 unanimously agreed to

(i) End its agreement with the directors of Galway United Football Club in relation to its day-to-day
    management of the club.
    (ii) Submit an independent licence application for membership of the 2012 Airtricity League in the

The Supporters Trust chair, David Flaherty, told a well-attended meeting that the challenging experience
    of the 2011 season had prepared the Supporters Trust well for the demands of fielding a vibrant,

The Trust's objective is to return Galway senior soccer back to its roots as a community club run and
    directed by its members.

Secretary Mike Daly told the meeting about the significant backing afforded by the UEFA-funded
    organisation Supporters Direct. The mission statement of Supporters Direct is to promote sustainable
    spectator sports clubs, based on supporters' involvement and community ownership. A representative
    from this organisation recently travelled to Galway and has thrown their considerable weight and

Lets hope that whatever happens a deal is struck that keeps Galway United alive as it would be a real tragedy for football in Ireland if there was not a senior club in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

There'd still be two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

oldyouth wrote: »
    Totally amateur. However, bills still have to be paid. Electricity, Insurance, Ground Maintenance, Printers, Match Officials, Diesel for the best bus in the league :D, shampoo for Mick

There is no way he washes that hairdo!

Money saved straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/kenny_linked_with_rovers_as_o_neill_talks_break_down_1_3332907

its bad when sligo rovers fans have to buy the derry journal to find out team news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

eire4 wrote: »
    Lets hope that whatever happens a deal is struck that keeps Galway United alive

I assume the club will now fold given that they're not applying to play in the league next year.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7156/galway-utd-withdraw-licence-application/

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I assume the club will now fold given that they're not applying to play in the league next year.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7156/galway-utd-withdraw-licence-application/

As far as I'm concerned, GUST FC will be playing on Friday evenings, in maroon jerseys, in Terryland Park, in the League of Ireland this season.

As far as I'm concerned, GUST FC will be playing on Friday evenings, in maroon jerseys, in Terryland Park, in the League of Ireland this season.

i hope your right , best of luck to galway, the fans deserve better than the sh*t they had to put up with the last 3 years.

Sligored wrote: »
    http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/kenny_linked_with_rovers_as_o_neill_talks_break_down_1_3332907

its bad when sligo rovers fans have to buy the derry journal to find out team news

Kenny would be the best candidate in the league Some of the other suggestions such as Cook or Doolin are laughable.

And? :confused:

And? :confused:

I presume the company owned by Leeson and co. will fold. There will still be a club there run by the same people who ran it last season, but this time owned by people who actually have the club's best interests at heart.

stovelid wrote: »
    Kenny would be the best candidate in the league Some of the other suggestions such as Cook or Doolin are laughable.

Kerr ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hope Roy Keane rumours are complete bollix.......really i hope they are. Even i wouldnt wish that on them.

It's more than likely complete and utter bullsh*t, but Rovers going for Keane would do wonders for the LOI.
    It's gonna take people like that coming into the league in order to get the bar-stoolers sitting up and paying attention to the league again.

The Blues played Ipswich in a friendly a couple of years ago when they were managed by Keane. 4,000 came out that day to see the man. They couldn't care less about the match, at least 1,000 had left before the 80th minute of the game!

blue-army wrote: »
    It's more than likely complete and utter bullsh*t, but Rovers going for Keane would do wonders for the LOI.
    It's gonna take people like that coming into the league in order to get the bar-stoolers sitting up and paying attention to the league again.
    Maybe for everyone in the LOI except Rovers.
    The Blues played Ipswich in a friendly a couple of years ago when they were managed by Keane. 4,000 came out that day to see the man. They couldn't care less about the match, at least 1,000 had left before the 80th minute of the game!
    We had a similar experience when he was at SundIreland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »

Cook, Doolin, Kenny, Moany Pete..down there with Roderick in likelihood hopefully for pretty much all the same reasons.

Kenny is the best LOI option. Kerr wouldn't be my first choice given a blank canvas

I think Rovers will probably go with someone most of us have never heard of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

roy keane at rovers hmmmmm. could do worse i suppose.... tend to agree with op gannon or kerr maybe more likely good choices either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

if you looked on the previous page ive posted that a week ago;)

• Advertisement

if you looked on the previous page ive posted that a week ago;)

checked the page - no you didnt

I presume the company owned by Leeson and co. will fold. There will still be a club there run by the same people who ran it last season, but this time owned by people who actually have the club's best interests at heart.

The company? You mean the football club.

Funny to see Galway United actually talking about coming back into the league in 2013. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

management of the club.

directed by its members.

Seems like the done thing these days. Run up a load of debts, walk away from them and set up a "new" club. I would love to see the FAI reject their application at least this will put an end to this crap as it's grossly unfair to other clubs.

Derry and Cork will be two of the strongest clubs in the league next year by effectively cheating. Where could Dundalk, Shels, Pats be if we all walked away from our debts with a punishment of one year in the first division debt free to regroup.

The company? You mean the football club.
    It would be a company called GU Football Club Ltd. that would get wound up. The club existed before this company was set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I assume the Shels moral compass on how to run a football club correctly is on the way out.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »

management of the club.

directed by its members.

Seems like the done thing these days. Run up a load of debts, walk away from them and set up a "new" club. I would love to see the FAI reject their application at least this will put an end to this crap as it's grossly unfair to other clubs.

Derry and Cork will be two of the strongest clubs in the league next year by effectively cheating. Where could Dundalk, Shels, Pats be if we all walked away from our debts with a punishment of one year in the first division debt free to regroup.
    The players/coaches/clubs/Galway FA/businessses owed money stand a better chance of getting repaid now than they would if GU was wound up. There are no assets there. No stadium, no training pitch.

The bank debt ran up by you know who over the last 5 years or so is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Drogs have signed Ryan & Sean Brennan, Sava and Shane Grimes all from Monaghan. And Hynes from Limerick.
    Gav Brennan, Mulvenna and philly Hand have re-signed from last season.
    Nice bit of business so far from the Cookie monster

Drogs have signed Ryan & Sean Brennan, Sava and Shane Grimes all from Monaghan. And Hynes from Limerick.
    Gav Brennan, Mulvenna and philly Hand have re-signed from last season.
    Nice bit of business so far from the Cookie monster
    Looks like Mons will really struggle so?

quigley and boco to sign. new main sponsors to be announced soon. this lot for anyone wondering who they are
    checked the page - no you didnt
    sorry was even further back Quigley confirmed btw

The players/coaches/clubs/Galway FA/businessses owed money stand a better chance of getting repaid now than they would if GU was wound up. There are no assets there. No stadium, no training pitch.

The bank debt ran up by you know who over the last 5 years or so is a different story.

Don't get me wrong. I hope everything works out for Galway fans but there is a dangerous trend here. It doesn't matter who ran up the debt as it was done in the name of Galway United. I don't think Galway's case is as bad as Derry or Cork as they cheated their way to relative success but this needs to be stopped for the good of the league. There needs to be some deterrent to stop clubs from going this route.

mark quigley is the best player in the league on his day - and paul cook is the man who will get him playing. Superb signing.

and paul cook is the man who will get him playing. Superb signing.

Yes because he was terrible last year :rolleyes:

doncarlos wrote: »
    Yes because he was terrible last year :rolleyes:
    the second half of the year he was

Quigley and Ndo in the same team, thats my vicious abuse limit sorted for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Witchie wrote: »
    Looking like Sean and Ryan Brennan, Gabriel Sava and Aidan Collins are leaving mons for drogs. Cue every drogs fan making a sex pee in their pants.

Would this pave the way for signing a certain other keeper we spoke about?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement