Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bohsman wrote: »
    Would love to stay in Dalymount

Well, it was Bohs fans who voted to leave it.

Or do you mean "gutted to be leaving without the €65M"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well, it was Bohs fans who voted to leave it.

Or do you mean "gutted to be leaving without the €65M"? :rolleyes:

Yes, if it was a case of 65m you would have to look at the dilapidated state of Dalymount and the fact that we had no money to improve that. Cash plus a new stadium would have made a massive difference and the only way I would have been happy to leave Dalymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

You have absolutely no idea what's going on. The people applying for the licence have been making sure players were paid for well over a year now, when the directors were just making promises left right and centre and paying nobody.

So because your directors were not doing their job properly, Galway United should be able to walk away from their debts?
    You really can't see the problem with this? You've cheated other clubs you should be punished not rewarded. Monaghan united should have had a place in the premier last year at your expense.
    This will NEVER EVER happen again in Galway with GUST running things.

If Leeson was brought in by the other directors to deliberately sabotage the club, I can't think what he could have done different to do a better job of it.

Take it as a supporter of a former fan owned club that nearly went to the wall, that is a promise that you can't guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Well I see that Bohemians have effectively handed the keys to Dalymount over to Swiss Bank Zurich. A sad day for Iriish football. I guess at this point all we can hope for is that when Dalymount is finally sold that at the very least the club becomes debt free. In the meantime the club needs to get orgainized financially so it is run a sustainable basis for the future. I hope I am wrong but to me todays news is just a temporary solution which doesn't really solve the clubs long term problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eire4 wrote: »
    Well I see that Bohemians have effectively handed the keys to Dalymount over to Swiss Bank Zurich. A sad day for Iriish football. I guess at this point all we can hope for is that when Dalymount is finally sold that at the very least the club becomes debt free. In the meantime the club needs to get orgainized financially so it is run a sustainable basis for the future. I hope I am wrong but to me todays news is just a temporary solution which doesn't really solve the clubs long term problems.
    I don't fully understand the slant you're coming from. This is great news for Bohs. They were never going to be staying in Dalymount. This is probably better than the best they could have hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

saints.jpg

New jersey, dont like it. Like the old school crest but last years was just so fcuking lovely :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

is anyone else sick of all the retro jerseys that have been floating about the last few years? loi getting in on the act now too it seems

overshoot wrote: »
    is anyone else sick of all the retro jerseys that have been floating about the last few years? loi getting in on the act now too it seems

Sick of crap retro jerseys,

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/St-Patricks-Athletic-2010-umbro-nissan.jpg

i love that jersey :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

was trying to find out a bit about kilkenny's efforts to return to senior football, a google search turned up FC carlows wiki page which reads (in the u20 section)
    Stole Kilkenny City's Pitch and just lettin ya know......This is not over....... The Bring Back CCity foundation are planning a mass protest against the FC Carlow invasion at their first home game, this means war.....

looks like some entertainment on the horizon:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Love for a trip down to Buckley Park again, but if Kilkenny didn't get crowds there I very much doubt Carlow could get crowds there. Still never forget going down there, my mates dad asking for directions in Kilkenny town off a bunch of kids playing football with Man Utd, etc... jerseys on and they had no idea where or what Buckley Park is or who Kilkenny City where.

Peter Cherrie to Shels, any Dundalk lads hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

bohsman wrote: »
    Only for Zurich.

So, and forgive me here but I don't fully know the situation, have Bohs effectively said right we owe you 4m, we can't pay so here is our only asset. Take it, kinda like handing back the keys to a car with an outstanding loan on it?

That being the case then yes its up to Zurich to sell it and cover the loan, fall short or make a profit and Bohs essentially walk away, albeit homeless. Lets say Zurich sell the ground for 5 mill, Bohs won't get the 1m overpayment of the loan?

Could Bohs not have sold the ground themselves if they were confident it would cover the loan, pay it off and look to do something with the additional cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dreamers75 wrote: »
    saints.jpg

Like it.

Although for me, shirts can't be retro enough.

iregk wrote: »

Could Bohs not have sold the ground themselves if they were confident it would cover the loan, pay it off and look to do something with the additional cash?

I assume that this was the only way Bohs could defer payment instead of trying to sell the ground with Zurich breathing own their neck for repayment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

stovelid wrote: »
    I assume that this was the only way Bohs could defer payment instead of trying to sell the ground with Zurich breathing own their neck for repayment.

Yes, this is true. Without this deferral on repayment we would've had perhaps 6 months in which we could attempt to sell the stadium before Zurich filed examinership proceedings. No investor in their right mind is going to make an offer in such a scenario when they know that it will be sold for much less when Zurich get a hold of it.

So basically you have waived the right to make a profit on the ground in return for deferring immediate payment of the debt.

Zurich can hold on to the ground until it's more feasible to sell.

Does that also mean they have given up the car park income?

New jersey, dont like it.

What's wrong with it?

Imo home shirts are ruined when the designer tries to do something fancy with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

So basically you have waived the right to make a profit on the ground in return for deferring immediate payment of the debt.

Zurich can hold on to the ground until it's more feasible to sell.

Does that also mean they have given up the car park income?

We'll still keep any profit made from a sale above what we owe our creditors in total, however Zurich are likely to put pressure on at whatever stage it's market value reaches what we owe them. So in practice, yes we probably have done ourselves out of any future profit on the ground. Unfortunate but essential really.

Car park is being opened to the public this season and the revenue will go to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Peter Cherrie to Shels is the latest rumour on our forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Peter Cherrie to Shels, any Dundalk lads hear this?
    dan1895 wrote: »

And this one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

iregk wrote: »
    So, and forgive me here but I don't fully know the situation, have Bohs effectively said right we owe you 4m, we can't pay so here is our only asset. Take it, kinda like handing back the keys to a car with an outstanding loan on it?

That being the case then yes its up to Zurich to sell it and cover the loan, fall short or make a profit and Bohs essentially walk away, albeit homeless. Lets say Zurich sell the ground for 5 mill, Bohs won't get the 1m overpayment of the loan?

In that case Bohs would get the rest, Im not 100% sure of the specifics but I think other creditors could also see cash from the sale before Zurich.

Due to the legal web it could take years before we could sell the stadium, doing a deal like this was our only hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dan1895 wrote: »

Wasn't as good last year as he was in the previous season and a half. I don't think he is a whole lot better than Delaney so seems like a strange one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

We've re-signed Nults and signed Kevin Burns, that's our 'keepers sorted for next season.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/kenna-slams-clubs-lack-of-respect-2965994.html

Kenna refutes the notion that the players' dispute with the club during their European run, which threatened the very future of St Pat's, has anything to do with none of the 2011 squad having, as yet, been offered a contract by new manager Liam Buckley.

The cynic in me thinks otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I wonder did Pete's support of the players during that fiasco result in him losing his job?

djpbarry wrote: »
    I wonder did Pete's support of the players during that fiasco result in him losing his job?

Yup dead man walking since then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Ndo and Cretaro re-signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

CSF wrote: »
    I don't fully understand the slant you're coming from. This is great news for Bohs. They were never going to be staying in Dalymount. This is probably better than the best they could have hoped for.

No slant well certainly no anti Bohemians slant for sure. I understand Bohs were between a rock and a hard place and maybe this was the best they could have done right now. But it doesn't change the fact that Dalymount is going away at some point. This is sad for Irish football just as Milltown was.

As I said all we can hope for now is that whatever about who's fault and the why of how it got this bad for Bohemians that hopefully Bohemians can sort things out financially and get themselves on a stable and sustainable financial footing for the future.

Jordan Keegan signed for Mons :(

Assume they offered more than us, smashing talent but has the same mindset as that bohs lad who came back from Liverpool and now plays LSL sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Des wrote: »
    And this one ;)

No more pre-noon posting for me, I obviously just confuse myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

doncarlos wrote: »
    So because your directors were not doing their job properly, Galway United should be able to walk away from their debts?
    You really can't see the problem with this? You've cheated other clubs you should be punished not rewarded. Monaghan united should have had a place in the premier last year at your expense.
    I think you might misunderstand what has happened. The holding company for Galway United still exists. In my opinion, the board have shown themselves not only to be untrustworthy but also grossly incompetent.

The directors are very much liable for bank debts that they personally guaranteed. And all other debts. They abandoned the club last year and weren't paying creditors before that anyway. The banks haven't been paid in years at this stage.

The club could not have gotten a licence for 2012.

It would be madness to continue to run the club on behalf of the company.

The fans have worked tirelessly over the years, just doing the best they could in the circumstances, while successive boards of the club ran it into the ground. For every positive common-sense thing the supporters trust have done in the last number of years, Nick Lesson as CEO and his fellow board members / partners-in-crime, have done twice as many to undermine the trust and cause terrible damage to the reputation of the club.
    doncarlos wrote: »
    Take it as a supporter of a former fan owned club that nearly went to the wall, that is a promise that you can't guarantee.
    The supporters who kept the ship afloat over the last year have seen the same shyte go on for decades at Galway United, directors coming and going, spend/bust cycles (although none as bad as this time), dismantling of youth structures and general recklessness, not to mention a blatant contempt for the fans.

Now that there is really no other option left, as the directors have made such an absolute shyte of things, the FAI couldn't possibly, even in crazy Delaneyland, give the club a licence. Even Leeson himself is trying to claim he is owed money, which is ludicrous when you being to ask where the money that did come in actually went if players went substantially unpaid for long-periods and creditors we unpaid, seemingly as routine procedure. Leeson could never prove this, but such are the licensing procedures, anyone can claim to be owed money without proof. This is not to say that many companies and individuals don't have valid claims, they do.

• Advertisement

I think you might misunderstand what has happened. The holding company for Galway United still exists. In my opinion, the board have shown themselves not only to be untrustworthy but also grossly incompetent.

The directors are very much liable for bank debts that they personally guaranteed. And all other debts. They abandoned the club last year and weren't paying creditors before that anyway. The banks haven't been paid in years at this stage.

The club could not have gotten a licence for 2012.

It would be madness to continue to run the club on behalf of the company.

The fans have worked tirelessly over the years, just doing the best they could in the circumstances, while successive boards of the club ran it into the ground. For every positive common-sense thing the supporters trust have done in the last number of years, Nick Lesson as CEO and his fellow board members / partners-in-crime, have done twice as many to undermine the trust and cause terrible damage to the reputation of the club.

The supporters who kept the ship afloat over the last year have seen the same shyte go on for decades at Galway United, directors coming and going, spend/bust cycles (although none as bad as this time), dismantling of youth structures and general recklessness, not to mention a blatant contempt for the fans.

Now that there is really no other option left, as the directors have made such an absolute shyte of things, the FAI couldn't possibly, even in crazy Delaneyland, give the club a licence. Even Leeson himself is trying to claim he is owed money, which is ludicrous when you being to ask where the money that did come in actually went if players went substantially unpaid for long-periods and creditors we unpaid, seemingly as routine procedure. Leeson could never prove this, but such are the licensing procedures, anyone can claim to be owed money without proof. This is not to say that many companies and individuals don't have valid claims, they do.

Umm new club no debts, sorry but this **** has been done before.

Dress it up how you like but its cheating every other club who honour their debts.

Umm new club no debts, sorry but this **** has been done before.

Dress it up how you like but its cheating every other club who honour their debts.
    The directors are liable for the bank debt. GUST are paying players that are owed money and presumably repaying rental debts on Terryland.

Galway isn't a big place, people won't can't distinguish between the idiots that ran the club into the ground and the people that are trying to pick up the pieces.

I doubt GUST have ignored debts to local businesses. Even though it certainly isn't their legal obligation to look after them, in order to be able to do business in the town, they will have to work at them. At least now it can be done in the way that the club can actually survive, i.e. payment plans that allow the club to survive and eventually sort out debts owed to local creditors.

Bank debts were secured against guarantees by the past and current directors. It is up to the bank(s) to pursue them for repayment.

If GUST didn't start up a new club, nobody would get anything, as GU Football Club Ltd. (The holding company behind Galway United) would be (and will be) wound up.

Understand the situation before you take digs based on assumptions.

Edit: Oh and I blame the FAI for not kicking United out of the league a few years ago, never mind now. Licensing is a joke. What's the point in having financial rules if you don't look at the books and investigate the figures behind a few things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There was two articles similar on the Independent site, both of which seem to be edited now, but it included this:
    Kenna has had some initial interest from Shelbourne, while his day job would mean any offer to move abroad would have to be a strong one.

Would be a quality signing if true.
    Assume they offered more than us, smashing talent but has the same mindset as that bohs lad who came back from Liverpool and now plays LSL sometimes.

Does he still line out for Rialto FC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Jordan Keegan signed for Mons :(

He was with us last year and maybe just liked the manager, set up and some of his colleagues so was happy to stay?

Delighted that we have sorted out keeper situation out so fast with 2 signed up and some other good signings but am gonna keep stum until club gives me the nod to spill!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1820&d=1324145439

Oh and we opened our shop today and sold 13 jerseys by 3 o'clock!

Witchie wrote: »
    He was with us last year and maybe just liked the manager, set up and some of his colleagues so was happy to stay?

Delighted that we have sorted out keeper situation out so fast with 2 signed up and some other good signings but am gonna keep stum until club gives me the nod to spill!

On loan from us, cos he was a bit of an eejit and mahon wanted rid of him.

On loan from us, cos he was a bit of an eejit and mahon wanted rid of him.

Well he worked fantastically with Roddy!

If its true that mahon's goose was cooled for sticking up for the players, that's disgusting.

And that's from somebody who didn't necessarily agree with the strike.

Witchie wrote: »
    Oh and we opened our shop today and sold 13 jerseys by 3 o'clock!
    Looks the part, fairplay. Hopefully many more will be sold before Xmas.

If its true that mahon's goose was cooled for sticking up for the players, that's disgusting.

And that's from somebody who didn't necessarily agree with the strike.

Well, if it's true that the club would have folded if they didn't fulfill their EL fixture, it is understandable.

There is a petition in support of Galway United Supporters Trust FC's licence application for the 2012 Airtricity League season.

If you support sustainable supporter run clubs, it will only take a few seconds of your time, thanks.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gust/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Probably very old news here but Thompson and Ricketts gone from shamrock?

bohsboy wrote: »
    Are you Harry Redknapp in disguise?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well, if it's true that the club would have folded if they didn't fulfill their EL fixture, it is understandable.

One day a book about that day should come out, serious mental stuff. UEFA dude allowed us to play our u19s, but PFAI wouldnt let them as they wanted an illegal strike. u19s not PFAI afiliated.

Sadlier rang every single player to get them to cop the fcuk on most wanted to play but the ringleaders were the loudest voices in the dressing room. Along with the PFAI, this is a guy who advocated an illegal strike where had we existed after would have sued the **** out of him and his gang and every single player on strike and won.

Bradley, North and Kenna.

Had we went on strike that day we would have no longer existed, ball burst game over etc. The club made an offer to the players which was reasonable considering travel costs. Players wanted more, Supporters Club paid the difference, the club rightfully never backed down. We have never ever not paid a single player ever.

They made an offer which was around 1400 per player but they wanted more. Club really never backed down on this and only the fans paying the difference got the 1st team to play.

Would love Sadlier to document everything that happened and name and shame.

So when certain players get ungodly abuse never season, theres a reason :)

bohsboy wrote: »

In a few weeks that's seen you all but give away your ground and lose your manager, the only thing you find worth coming on here about is us possibly losing two players that won't really be a huge loss. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Apart from the Derry game, I can't remember Ricketts playing very often in the run in or European games, maybe against Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Steve Staunton to be interviewed for the Dundalk job tomorrow according to the Sunday Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/dundalk-look-to-staunton-2967040.html

I hope Stan does get the Dundalk game coz its good to have some high profile managers in the game here and also he is muck so maybe they will be even easier to beat in Gortakeegan! :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Please god let Staunton go to Dundalk. Would be a comical combination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rogers to us rumour has it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Rodgers to us rumour has it

It's just Rogers and I hope not don't think he's great and his distribution wouldn't be half as good as Clarke's but if he does sign I'll give him every chance to prove himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement