Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And why sign for Shels over Pats if offered similar money? We're an established premier division side and we're gonna be playing in Europe this season. Shels have just been promoted after many years in Div1.

So how do you explain Dawson and Byrne picking them over us? And the midfield lad whose name escapes me.

Pender and 2 others said they wouldnt sign if we were in Europe for job reasons. After last seasons trek accross Europe wouldnt blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So how do you explain Dawson and Byrne picking them over us?

They were with us last year. Maybe they just like the club. I know that it may be hard for you to imagine that some people like this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So how do you explain Dawson and Byrne picking them over us? And the midfield lad whose name escapes me.

Cos we're offering them 15 grand a week. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We'll have to have separate threads for Shels vs Pats and Sehls vs Cork squabbles come March.

stovelid wrote: »
    We'll have to have separate threads for Shels vs Pats and Sehls vs Cork squabbles come March.

And Rovers-Rovers?

Feeling left out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And Rovers-Shams?

fyp

actually

Can't wait for this season's weekend threads, dreamers has spent six years leaving out the Shels fixtures, be funny seeing a reduced PD list every week from him.

Wonder will he leave out the fixture the weeks we are playing SPA :D

All messing aside. I can't wait for march now. Going to be a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

All messing aside. I can't wait for march now. Going to be a good season.
    It's going to be interesting alright.

I don't really agree with the idea that Rovers will run away with it. Sure, they'll be favourites, but Sligo, Cork, Shels, Derry and Pats all look likely to have strong first 11's (at least) - they'll all be taking points off each other. Difficult to call who'll take the Euro places.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »

I don't really agree with the idea that Rovers will run away with it..

This.

The improbability of repeating group stage qualification will really help though. but that has to be weighed up with seeing how stronger the squad will be this season.

Inferior manager also has to be factored in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Des wrote: »

Kenny inferior to O'Neill?

doncarlos wrote: »
    Kenny inferior to O'Neill?

yes.

I await the outrage, but ten or twelve weeks ago Shamrock rovers fans would have agreed with me, so save it and don't re-write history.

I prefered MON myself and wanted him to stay but I'm happy with SK.

I would think he has enough to win the league if the squad is strenghened/maintained - which is not to say he will obviously.

I prefered MON myself and wanted him to stay but I'm happy with SK.

I would think he has enough to win the league if the squad is strenghened/maintained - which is not to say he will obviously.

Honestly dont know what way it will go.

Realisticaly he has to look outside ireland for better than whats on offer. Assuming your entire squad resigns, there are gaps that cant be filled/bettered by whats on the PFAI list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nope training times were supposed to be afternoon but most of our players working knocked that on the head. Assume it be 3 times a week and twice(with 1 gym ) when the midweek ****e kicks in.

Hope poor Pat Flynn knew that before he decided to reject Shels for Pats at the last minute, say he's on a decent amount with his job in Coca Cola's (which also requires a decent bit of travelling around Ireland afaik).

Glen Cronin? Byrne was a money choice, Dawson wasn't afaik.

Realisticaly he has to look outside ireland for better than whats on offer. Assuming your entire squad resigns, there are gaps that cant be filled/bettered by whats on the PFAI list.

That's what I would think too.

One of the things about MON was that he had good contacts outside the league (and Magilton too) and was able to bring players like Twigg, Sives, Patterson, Mannus etc.

I think a bit of ground was also lost with our season finishing at christmas and the wnagling about the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You lot already have Fool.ie taken over during the season with Bohs and Sligo related bitching so we deserve here.

• Advertisement

You lot already have Fool.ie taken over during the season with Bohs and Sligo related bitching so we deserve here.

I don't believe people still use that abortion of a website.

So full of windowlickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

bit harsh on SK think he might do well there, still thought they would have shopped abroad though..

bit harsh on SK think he might do well there, still thought they would have shopped abroad though..

How is it "harsh"?

He's not as good a manager as O'Neill, therefore, inferior.

I also hate him. Stuart Byrne had the right of it.

Plus he won't be able to work with players on two different sets of contracts.

yes.

I await the outrage, but ten or twelve weeks ago Shamrock rovers fans would have agreed with me, so save it and don't re-write history.

Save it? I'm a Dundalk fan and I've never rated O'Neill. It's very easy managing the club with the biggest chequebook.
    I've seen Rovers a few times last year including 5 times against Dundalk and have seen sides match them but then Rovers would throw on three top class subs that would walk into any other side of the league and get a late goal.
    Fenlon is the top manager in the league in recent years followed by Kenny in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

yes.

I wouldn't have.

I think Magilton had a lot more impact and certainly a lot more say than Croly than people might think. Training in the daytime for one. If you asked a few Rovers fans after the performance in Sligo following from Dundalk, Derry and Bray, you'd get a lot who'd disagree with you.

• Advertisement

How is it "harsh"?

He's not as good a manager as O'Neill, therefore, inferior.

I also hate him. Stuart Byrne had the right of it.

because hes probably one of the better managers in the league and many would disagree hes inferior to o neil

because hes probably one of the better managers in the league and many would disagree hes inferior to o neil

He is one of the better managers in the league, probably the best in the league at the moment, but in my opinion, he's not better than O'Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I actually think he is better than Clarke. Seems strange signing two average goalkeepers rather than one good and one youth/cheap backup
    Clarke holds the all time league record for consecutive clean sheets. You don't get that from being an average goalkeeper. His distribution is way ahead of any other keeper in the league too. I'd love if we'd kept him.

O'Neill didn't have his side getting the run around in Europe by an Estonian team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Clarke holds the all time league record for consecutive clean sheets. You don't get that from being an average goalkeeper. His distribution is way ahead of any other keeper in the league too. I'd love if we'd kept him.

I'd have preferred to have kept Rogers, tbh. I think he's the best keeper in the league at the moment. It's funny you talk about Clarkey's distribution being so good because that's the worst thing actually about Rogers, his kickouts are awful.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd have preferred to have kept Rogers, tbh. I think he's the best keeper in the league at the moment. It's funny you talk about Clarkey's distribution being so good because that's the worst thing actually about Rogers, his kickouts are awful.

sssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well aware of that and it has me worried. Clarke gives the defence an option of playing it back all the time. Hes good on the ball and rarely picks the wrong option. Rogers is probably better at commanding the area but hes not a footballer!

. Rogers is probably better at commanding the area but hes not a footballer!

Nope thats his 2nd biggest problem pissed me off him never calling for the ball. Other than those 2 cracking keeper, great shot stopper and very good on crosses.

Nope thats his 2nd biggest problem pissed me off him never calling for the ball. Other than those 2 cracking keeper, great shot stopper and very good on crosses.
    Always thought that was a strong point but you do need to see a keeper regularly to judge. I think signing Rogers instead of Clarke will prove a mistake but hopefully I'll be wrong.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    O'Neill didn't have his side getting the run around in Europe by an Estonian team.

different times tbf, o neil wasnt even managing back then afaik, kennys had a few decent european results since in his defence

Always thought that was a strong point but you do need to see a keeper regularly to judge. I think signing Rogers instead of Clarke will prove a mistake but hopefully I'll be wrong.

Tough one for you, on one hand cracking footballer who just happens to be a goalie, other is great keeper who doesnt distribute well.

Could have been Mahon telling Rogers to smash it at North tho.

Both make mistakes in fairness in this league you sort of expect it.

Didnt know Clarke had the most clean sheets Rogers had 12 in a row in 2010 assumed the record was much much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

different times tbf, o neil wasnt even managing back then afaik, kennys had a few decent european results since in his defence

But also managed to fail badly in Scotland.

bohsman wrote: »
    But also managed to fail badly in Scotland.

Fenlon failed badly in Northern ireland.

doesnt make him any less than the best irish club manager ever.

Hawkins to Rovers as a Coach/player

Killian Brennan and Daryl Kavangh also linked, Kavanagh not happy with our offer of less than last seasons wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Save it? I'm a Dundalk fan and I've never rated O'Neill. It's very easy managing the club with the biggest chequebook.
    I've seen Rovers a few times last year including 5 times against Dundalk and have seen sides match them but then Rovers would throw on three top class subs that would walk into any other side of the league and get a late goal.
    Fenlon is the top manager in the league in recent years followed by Kenny in my opinion.

You just contradicted yourself in one post. Fenlon for a long time spent the most money in the league by a mile so he had the "biggest chequebook." So which is it?

• Advertisement

You just contradicted yourself in one post. Fenlon for a long time spent the most money in the league by a mile so he had the "biggest chequebook." So which is it?

It's getting the best out of the players also. Didn't Fenlon's Bohs win the league by 20 points one season?

Fenlon failed badly in Northern ireland.

doesnt make him any less than the best irish club manager ever.

not doing too well in scotland either by all accounts, sorry had to throw that in im just being flippant, i still agree hes probably the best manager in the league in recent years

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In fairness, Hibs seemed in pretty bad shape before he joined anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

In fairness, Hibs seemed in pretty bad shape before he joined anyway

as i said i was being flippant

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Lee Lynch confirmed as signed for Sligo. Gem of a signing for them. he was only with us for half of last season but still won POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

It's getting the best out of the players also. Didn't Fenlon's Bohs win the league by 20 points one season?

We also won the league with the 4th biggest budget recently.

Declan Devine new Derry manager.

Dunno if thats a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

paul hegarty no2

Declan Devine new Derry manager.

Dunno if thats a good or bad thing.

Depends who you support.

• Advertisement