Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

overshoot wrote: »
    thought liam martin was to be part of the main squad this year? although he is part of the sligo IT programme isnt he? maybe it was just time off for exams

I've watched Liam Martin at underage level for the last six years and he is one hell of a prospect. I've never seen a young kid have such vision on the ball and his ability to pass accurately over long distances is the best I've ever seen. On the slightly negative side, he is a bit small but seems to more than make up for it.

A very exciting prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We beat Leixlip Utd 4-0 tonight, baltic down there.

Paul Byrne (ex-Mons, Pats) started (supposedly is signed) and scored 2 goals and Anto Murphy got the other two.

Ryan Markey came on, just home from Nottingham Forest academy, only 18.

Stephen Hurley (Bohs) started too.

Some keeper played the 2nd half for us, supposedly a Dublin GAA keeper, Reilly is the surname, from Killester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We beat Leixlip Utd 4-0 tonight, baltic down there.

Paul Byrne (ex-Mons, Pats) started (supposedly is signed) and scored 2 goals and Anto Murphy got the other two.

Ryan Markey came on, just home from Nottingham Forest academy, only 18.

Stephen Hurley (Bohs) started too.

Some keeper played the 2nd half for us, supposedly a Dublin GAA keeper, Reilly is the surname, from Killester.

Paul Byrne has signed for you.

Care to post your squad for the craic?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Care to post your squad for the craic?

Stephen Paisley, Andy Boyle, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Ian Ryan, Gareth Matthews, Brian Shorthall, Sean Byrne, David Cassidy, Kevin Dawson, Conan Byrne, Barry Clancy, Glenn Cronin, John Sullivan, Phillip Hughes.

They're officially announced.

Anto Murphy, Paddy Kavanagh, Ryan Markey, Dean Delaney, Paul Byrne have signed but not announced yet.

Then Paul Skinner, Philly Gorman and Stephen Hurley are expected to sign.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was hoping Hurley might stick around with us, surprised Shels were bothered with him. He puts in an honest shift, but is nothing special. Useful as a squad player i suppose, and cheap.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any Rovers lads know if Conor Devlin was in talks with yourselves last week?

Heard we're looking at him.

bohsboy wrote: »
    I've watched Liam Martin at underage level for the last six years and he is one hell of a prospect. I've never seen a young kid have such vision on the ball and his ability to pass accurately over long distances is the best I've ever seen. On the slightly negative side, he is a bit small but seems to more than make up for it.

A very exciting prospect.

Getting ready to abandon the good ship Bohemian for the enticing Sligs lifeboat?

Been on the cards for a season or two by the looks of it.

Stephen O Flynn and Jake kelly say they have signed for us on twitter.

Lads im going to a match tonight :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That Stephen O Flynn from Limerick?

gimmick wrote: »
    That Stephen O Flynn from Limerick?

yup

he who is never fit.

stovelid wrote: »

Conor Winn too? Two very young keepers? Seems odd imo.
    Stephen O Flynn and Jake kelly say they have signed for us on twitter.

Didn't you say a while back on here that Russell would be your last signing as your budget was used? Or something to that effect?

• Advertisement

In case many care, the draw for the fourth round of the might LSC was made today
    The draw for the Leinster Senior Cup Fourth Round Draw 2011-12 was made yesterday evening as League of Ireland teams entered the draw.

Shamrock Rovers versus Bohemians is the pick of the fourth round matches, with three other matches seeing all League of Ireland ties. Shelbourne face Wexford Youths in Ferrycarrig Park, UCD face Athlone Town while Bray Wanderers host Longford Town. All fourth round matches must be played before Wednesday, February 29th.

Wexford Youths v Shelbourne

Bray Wanderers v Longford Town

Evergreen or Crumlin United v Dundalk FC

UCD v Athlone Town

St Patricks Athletic v Phoenix FC or Tolka Rovers

Dublin Bus or St Pats CY v Sheriff YC or Willow Park

Ballyoulster/Firhouse/Drogheda Town v Drogheda United

Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians

Games to be played by February 29th

A return of last years classic game of us vs Rovers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Anyone know if any restrictions on non league teams playing at home?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Views differ on whether that was a classic game:)

dfx- wrote: »
    Views differ on whether that was a classic game:)
    It was to this guy anyway :D

5904789188_a5738817fe.jpg

yup

he who is never fit.

Woohoo. We were heavily linked with him. Thats great news.

Conor Winn too? Two very young keepers? Seems odd imo.

Didn't you say a while back on here that Russell would be your last signing as your budget was used? Or something to that effect?

Nope said Corry and Russell would be, we didnt sign Corry hence Kelly and O Flynn.

We getting someone in on loan too possibly 2 players.

In case many care, the draw for the fourth round of the might LSC was made today

I'd say Kenny will probably treat it with the same interest as MON but will be a good preseason run-out for both teams and should be a decent game.

Maybe Stephen O'Brien will go in goal. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Longford have Bray! We might win something hurrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Getting ready to abandon the good ship Bohemian for the enticing Sligs lifeboat?

Been on the cards for a season or two by the looks of it.

Who is this Sligs guy?

Ive no intention of a Captain Francesco exit just yet, quite the contrary in fact, we're still alive. As I said, keep an eye on Martin, best young player Ive seen in years. Im sure Shamrock will try and get their trotters on him at some stage.

• Advertisement

2-0 and more passes in the 1st half than the entire 2011 season :pac:

Fagan looked very good, in the 433

Nope said Corry and Russell would be, we didnt sign Corry hence Kelly and O Flynn.

So let me get this, the wages of Kelly (the player whos turning his back on Devlin even though he's sorted him out with a job to keep his family going) and O'Flynn (who'll probably have to relocate from Munster to Dublin?) combine to what Corry would be on? :confused:

Any Rovers lads know if Conor Devlin was in talks with yourselves last week? He was in Dublin but trying to see if it was Shels or Shams he was in talks with.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/hoops-eye-up-devlin-3004266.html

How much compenstation did Dundalk have to pay Mervue in the end? Any news on Cherrie?

Simon Madden to Derry it seems, thought he'd end up at Rovers tbh.

Not sure what compo if any was but I'm sure it isn't much as we can't afford it. I wouldn't be surprised if a sell on clause was negotiated instead.

Cherie re-signed last night so very good competition for number 1 slot. Was plenty of rumours we were looking at Devlin but I'm delighted we got Cherrie as he is a proven decent goalkeeper and even at 28 is the second oldest player in the squad.

Madden is a very solid right back without being spectacular. Played every minute of every game last season and I can't remember him playing badly. After Quigley would have been one of the must-keep players.

So let me get this, the wages of Kelly (the player whos turning his back on Devlin even though he's sorted him out with a job to keep his family going) and O'Flynn (who'll probably have to relocate from Munster to Dublin?) combine to what Corry would be on? :confused:

Yes they are on 150p/w.

We really should get Buckley in to sort out the public sector we'd be out of recession in no time.

• Advertisement

More than one club assembling decent squads for buttons it would seem.

Such remarkable acts of husbandry wha?

Such remarkable acts of husbandry wha?

Indeed, we have 18 players and Shels have 23 or so and signing more and we the ones with issues.

O Flynn misses more games than he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Valentine's Day coming up, dreamers75's mrs is getting him this

2ab6913bb19998747ee48a41b3724a8e_36551977701303142840.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Ollie Cahill supposedly retired purely because he felt it wasn't worth his playing any more as the wages in the league have gotten so low. 'Tis an employers market in the LOI at the moment, it would seem.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Ollie Cahill supposedly retired purely because he felt it wasn't worth his playing any more as the wages in the league have gotten so low. 'Tis an employers market in the LOI at the moment, it would seem.

So, what you are saying is Ollie is retiring because his pockets will no longer go "ching a ling a ling"?

• Advertisement

Probably not getting offered much because of his age, maybe.

I still remain to be convinced that some of the players mentioned on here in the last few months are on minimum wage. There is money about the league somehow at the moment even if not as stupid money as before.

Indeed, we have 18 players and Shels have 23 or so and signing more and we the ones with issues.

O Flynn misses more games than he plays.

I don't recall any Shels fans claiming they were getting paid €300 p/w though

doncarlos wrote: »
    I don't recall any Shels fans claiming they were getting paid €300 p/w though

Thats cos they didnt know how much they were on, i only know what we offered and who didnt take it.

Btw on Kelly i was shocked that only us and Bray offered him anything we only contacted him last week.

I still remain to be convinced that some of the players mentioned on here in the last few months are on minimum wage. There is money about the league somehow at the moment even if not as stupid money as before.
    I guess the prize money on offer is still pretty decent, especially for clubs in Europe - it's possible players are being offered a significant cut. Everybody wins in such a scenario. That said, I've not yet seen the league prize money for this season - one would hope the FAI will pass on the benefit of the national team's success considering the league is now helping to develop a number of Ireland internationals.

But generally, yeah, I would agree that some of the figures being quoted on this thread are ridiculously low - there's now way players are going to hang around here for less than minimum wage when they could easily make more (and enjoy a lower cost of living) across the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I guess the prize money on offer is still pretty decent, especially for clubs in Europe

The League affiliation fees are higher than the prize money most teams will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

The League affiliation fees are higher than the prize money most teams will get.

It's 19,000 for league affiliation last season, the bottom placed team got 5,000 in prize money as opposed to the 40,000 the previous season.

100k for winning league but the guaranteed money for making the second qualifying round of the CL (and the guarantee of four games if you get through that round) will be seen by some clubs as worth the gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Uefa gives any team who win their national league 250k off the bat anyway as far as I'm aware for their CL place before they kick a ball in that competition.

We signed another full-back, Kerrea Gilbert.

Left/right?

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Left/right?

Right-full. Only 24.

Sounds like he has a bit of experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerrea_Gilbert

backspacer wrote: »
    It's 19,000 for league affiliation last season, the bottom placed team got 5,000 in prize money as opposed to the 40,000 the previous season.
    Yeah but it's the clubs at the other end of the table we're talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Right-full. Only 24.

Sounds like a journeyman..

Right-full. Only 24.

Any chance he's good in goal?:D

So that's Powell, Memery, Gannon and Gilbert, Rice and maybe McCormack as well as cover..

AgileMyth wrote: »
    And journeymen are rare in the LOI :p

Him and Joe N'Do would get on.

An English journey man arguably won us the league last season lest you forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

An English journey man arguably won us the league last season lest you forget.
    Who was that then?

Who was that then?

Ricketts goal against Derry.

If we had lost the game, the league would have been in Derrys hands if they won their remaining games iirc

Bohs 11 playing in Ballyowen park vs Bluebell. Wasnt stopping to check it out but jaysis the players looked cold.

Molloy up front for Bluebell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Molloy up front for Bluebell.

Trevor?

He must need a walking stick by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement