Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for people to help a non-profit org

Options
  • 28-10-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all.

Ok let me start with I am very sorry if this is against the rules but I have tryed getting in contact with the behind the secens people for 2 days, and I have also read the rules and could not find any thing against it.

I'm and IT consultant for an online peer to peer support group, we are currently waiting for our legal status which should be very soon. But we have become very large very quick. So far we have used open source software and its working fine but I feel our only way forward is to get our own stuff developed, what I'm hoping is some small apps that will house everything we use.

If there is anyone here that would be interested in helping us out by doing some development, any kind it would be great to hear from you.

I wont post any links to our site incase I break rules but if you PM me I can send you what you need to prove its not a joke.

Thank you.

Pat.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The great thing about open source is, if it doesn't do exactly what you want it can be modified! Development from scratch might be more work (and risk) than you need... if you have some open source app that does 80% it might be easier to start from there and enhance/extend it? Perhaps, even ask the community of developers around that project if they might help. That might be the quickest route.

You don't mention what kind of software?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

croo wrote: »
    The great thing about open source is, if it doesn't do exactly what you want it can be modified! Development from scratch might be more work (and risk) than you need... if you have some open source app that does 80% it might be easier to start from there and enhance/extend it? Perhaps, even ask the community of developers around that project if they might help. That might be the quickest route.

You don't mention what kind of software?

I ment what you said, build on top of what we have, just develope better features for it. We use joomla and livezilla, both great but im not a developer and I am limeted in my code, I'v got everything working and just changed things like images and stuff but I need help working on the bones of the programs.

So anyone that can work livezilla and/or joomla.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It's fine for open source community type projects, if its commercial (i.e. making money) then it's not okay. PM me if you have any further questions, I'm one of the moderators of this forum.

Thank you phill, we are non-profit so not for making money.

What we use is a mix of livezilla and joomla, both open source, and what we are looking for is people to help make these more secure and run better. Also some database work.

We need anyone woth any sort of online skill that would be willing to help and we will give full credit to the person.

At this moment we are reaching 1 mill hits a day, and we have 53000 members, with 45000 of them being active daily from 25 countrys world wide.

So you can see why we need help.

If anyone is interested then you can pm me, or email me @ patrick@olagola.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've just had a look at your site. Nice one, that's a good cause.

• Advertisement

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I've just had a look at your site. Nice one, that's a good cause.

Thank you phill, we have a good team of people that have a big passion to help but Im the only person with any sort of IT skills, and thats all self tough.

Is there anyone how could offer anything, even a once off or a small php script.

Also does anyone know of any open source shift managers? we need something so our people can signup to it and add what hours a wee they can donate.?

Ever someone to do some small cron php jobs?

ANYTHING............

Thank you, pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Patolagola wrote: »
    ANYTHING............
    Can you post a list of the small projects you would like help with. That might generate interest and offers of help.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Can you post a list of the small projects you would like help with. That might generate interest and offers of help.

Ok heres off the top of my head.

We need a joomla skin, I know there is 1000's of them online but I need one that will hold up.

We need some cron jobs, auto backups for site files and databases, to email if poss.

We need open source program tweeked to fit our needs better (Livezilla).

Also we need someone that knows how to work Facebook API's or create API's.

If there is anyone that knows how to get the live stream facebook API to work then they would be a god send.

Also If anyone is willing to create smart phone apps.

I think thats about it.

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Hi Pat,
    Seems like a good site you have going. I am a software developer with web experience and would like to try help. I don't know much about Joomla or the Facebook API but i'm sure i could figure it out. PM me if you want to talk about what i can do for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Patolagola wrote: »
    We need some cron jobs, auto backups for site files and databases, to email if poss.
    I am interested in getting more info on this project.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the interest guys, I'v sent you both a pm.

I just want to thank the admins for allowing me to post here.

We have had a great respoce to this and have had some great offers of help.

So from Ó Lá Go Lá: We thank you very much.

Pat.

Advertisement