Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banquets at Knappogue Castle?

• 28-10-2010 1:49am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm familiar with the well known medieval banquets that are held at Bunratty and Knappogue castles. They are very popular with tourists. I was at one in Bunratty many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had planned to take some friends who are holidaying in Ireland next May to the banquet at Knappogue but according to a poster on another message boards I use, banquets are no longer held at Knappogue and have been severely cut back at Bunratty because of a collapse in tourist numbers.

Is this the case?:(:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Unfortunately you have heard correct information.

Bunratty closed their Banquet season earlier than usual this year because of the lack of business.
    It wasn't cost effective to continue serviceing the overheads while the numbers attending the shows continued to collapse.

Knappogue has marketed itself trying to cater for corporate functions and various social occasions such as weddings.

Both of these venues will struggle for survival in the coming year but, i think Bunratty will have the resources from the folk park, which is very successful to keep them afloat.

Maybe the banquets are past their sell by dates also.
    The blue rinse brigade are feeling the pinch in the usa and are not travellin g abroad as much anymore.
    Those that are making the trip over are very carefull to spend money and realise that what they pay for a banquet could be spent a lot more wisely towards other entertainment.
    It is another blow for the shannon region ,That's for sure.

Advertisement