Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JNLR Day (28 Oct 2010)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Hook seems to be sinking rapidly, I think the Sky ads done for him.
    Newstalk really needs to shake things up.

"Year on year, Williams has grown his AQH audience by 70 per cent to 22,000. This compares with 18,000 for George Hook, whose audience has tumbled by 30 per cent and 15,000 for Cooper. The drivetime market leader in the capital is RTÉ’s Mary Wilson, whose AQH audience has risen by 11 per cent to 39,000."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Poly wrote: »
    Hook seems to be sinking rapidly, I think the Sky ads done for him.
    Newstalk really needs to shake things up.

"Year on year, Williams has grown his AQH audience by 70 per cent to 22,000. This compares with 18,000 for George Hook, whose audience has tumbled by 30 per cent and 15,000 for Cooper. The drivetime market leader in the capital is RTÉ’s Mary Wilson, whose AQH audience has risen by 11 per cent to 39,000."

Recession news was exciting at first now its driving people away perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think thats true to some degree, people have had it up to here with the grim news but radio continues to feast on it.

Anyway no doubt the results will be trumpeted as a success by all stations.

GSF wrote: »
    Recession news was exciting at first now its driving people away perhaps?

True, I find myself headin over to Lyric more often now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/20101028_jnlr_oct09sept10_bf.pdf

National weekday reach figures Oct. '09 - Sept. '10

RTE Radio 1...24% no change

2fm...14% no change

Today...fm 13% -1

Newstalk...8% +1

Lyric fm...3% no change

• Advertisement

4 FM 3% of weekday reach market, unchanged
    4 FM 1.9% Weekday Share (7am-7pm) down 0.1%

Why do they not publish programme figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Another nice little jump for the regional stations... Well done, iRadio! i105-107 up to 100,000 listeners :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kickbox

Bard wrote: »
    Another nice little jump for the regional stations... Well done, iRadio! i105-107 up to 100,000 listeners :)

I thought that's what their last reach figure was! More importantly though how did they do in market share does anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Kickbox wrote: »
    I thought that's what their last reach figure was! More importantly though how did they do in market share does anyone know?

The above link to the release says weekday reach 7% and market share 5.1%. Poor performance by any standard.

Newstalk year on year

The Right Hook - 120,000 up 8,000 (which is a bit strange since, as already reported, he has lost 30% of his Dublin audience)

Moncrieff - 82,000 up 8,000

Saturday Sport - 79,000 up 13,000

http://www.newstalk.ie/about/press-releases/newstalk-the-only-national-station-to-show-growth/

As is the way with these things, those shows not mentioned are almost certainly down. Which, interestingly, must include Dunphy.

Meanwhile, over in Montrose the Radio bosses are spinning at such a furious rate, that you can only assume the figures for Tubridy and Hayes can't be great.

John Mahon, head of 2fm - "This book was about holding ground. We are mid-way through a 3 year regeneration of 2fm. There is a palpable sense of confidence at the station as we witness unprecedented levels of listener interaction with Hector, Tubridy and Hayes. It's going to be a few more books yet before we see figures for all the new shows, Hector and Ryan included, but if energy and optimism are a measure, we are in good shape".

Claire Duignan - "This is a long game. We have been bowled over by the magnitude of the listeners reaction to new morning schedule and the next few books will tell us whether our hunch is right".

Sounds like a whole load of bull**** to me, but I suppose we will have to wait for tomorrows papers to find out what the actual figures are.

• Advertisement

wow - so RTE management work of hunches.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

A lot of it is to do with what Ian Dempsey said. Particular time slots on the national broadcaster command a certain percentage of listenership by the fact that the ARE on the national broadcaster.... Mary Wilson on DriveTime being the prime example... they won an award last year, and it has to be one of the worst shows .... but I would still listen sometimes, cos she happens to be on after Mooney (all that effort of changing the station, you know yourself)..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Poly wrote: »
    True, I find myself headin over to Lyric more often now.

With all these so-called "personalities" dumped on LyricFM in the past year or two I find myself running away from that station. I absolutely loved it when the music was at the heart of each programme, when I got a history of musical pieces and info on upcoming events - but most of all when I heard new and fresh music that broadened my horizon.

Whoever decided to dump these egotistical incessantly talking fúckwits like Byrne and that guy in the morning on us deserves to lose his/her job in RTÉ. It is infuriating: I just want calm and escapism from LyricFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Mary Wilson on DriveTime being the prime example... they won an award last year, and it has to be one of the worst shows .... but I would still listen sometimes, cos she happens to be on after Mooney (all that effort of changing the station, you know yourself)..

A lame excuse. Figures just prove that people on this board dont know their ar'e from their elbow when in comes to who does a good job and who doesnt. The people have spoken!

Here's a peach from the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/listeners-desert-gerrys-former-slot-2399483.html
    ALMOST all of Ireland's top radio shows lost listeners over the summer, as the stations reeled from one of the most tumultuous periods Irish radio has ever known.

The falls, which affected virtually all radio's top names save a few exceptions like Marian Finucane and Matt Cooper, were revealed in the Joint National Listenership Survey (JNLR).

And what happens next?
    RTE was also home to some of the biggest gains, with Marian Finucane the biggest winner, while Radio 1's 'News at One' also posted gains.

"I'm absolutely delighted and stunned with these figures," Ms Finucane said last night. "When I moved to weekends we really believed there was an audience there but it was a bit of a risk. The risk seems to have paid off."

The cheek of the woman.

She improves her shows ratings by being absent for most of the year?

Charlie Bird should get some credit, show was excellent when he was covering

"I'm absolutely delighted and stunned with these figures," Ms Finucane said last night. "When I moved to weekends we really believed there was an audience there but it was a bit of a risk. The risk seems to have paid off."

It certainly did pay off... She now only has to go in for two days to get her 600k a year.... and can take off months on end for no apparent reason without any questions ...It's the format of the show and the quality of the interviewees (on Saturday) and panel (on Sunday) that I listen in for... Any of Charlie Bird, John Murray or Rachael English can do the job just as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

i suspect if rte 1 played someone reading the phone book out loud for an hour during the day they would get 200,000+ listeners. Would jnlr figures ask if people listen to bbc or other statios on the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The above link to the release says weekday reach 7% and market share 5.1%. Poor performance by any standard.

It's an increase. In a tough and competitive target area, any increase is a step in the right direction.
    Would jnlr figures ask if people listen to bbc or other statios on the internet?

If you look at the BAI web site you'll find out...
    From http://www.bai.ie/publications_jnlrresults.html:
    The primary objective of the JNLR survey is to provide reliable estimates of audiences to National, Regional and Local Radio, as a basis for the planning of advertising schedules. The secondary objective is to provide radio audience estimates to facilitate programming analysis/planning.

So, your answer is NO. They don't ask those surveyed if they listen to the BBC stations or other stations online, they ask them which of the national, regional and local stations they listen to.

• Advertisement

It's an increase. In a tough and competitive target area, any increase is a step in the right direction

True.

But its a near stalled increase none the less after a disasterous launch I understand after reading back over other posts here and there.
    Even after this marginal increase, its a poor performance and they're poor figures. When you have business's or stations focussing on "reach" figures and using fancy year on year % figures in PR releases and promo's, anyone clued in, spots attempts in vain and pain, to make a brave face of things. Hard to get away from the truth and poor figures, a reality that media buyers know all too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Anyone know how Matt Cooper got on?

^ read in the paper that he was up, can't remember the number but was a good result.

according to the paper, Tubridy took a hammering berfore he left radio1, didn't give figures for his new show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was there any mention of Nova or is it too early to get numbers. I have noticed that it is being played in a good few shops so people definitely know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mike65 wrote: »
    Here's a peach from the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/listeners-desert-gerrys-former-slot-2399483.html

And what happens next?

The cheek of the woman.

bang on.

the ****ing CHEEK of the woman. fourteen weeks AWOL, fourteen and she thinks the results are down to her ?

RTE should take the hint, sack her ass and put in charlie. the bloke who actually GOT those figures. they'd save the tax payer a fair wod of dosh to boot.

on the turbidy issue.

weve been pointing out for ages that he's **** all like gerry ryan and his shows atrocious quality and tubs own shameless self promotion must mean its heamoraging listerners en mass.

the fact we havent got the figures yet shows how bad they must be.

im dying to see how they spin this cluster****.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

bang on.

the ****ing CHEEK of the woman. fourteen weeks AWOL, fourteen and she thinks the results are down to her ?

RTE should take the hint, sack her ass and put in charlie. the bloke who actually GOT those figures. they'd save the tax payer a fair wod of dosh to boot.

on the turbidy issue.

weve been pointing out for ages that he's **** all like gerry ryan and his shows atrocious quality and tubs own shameless self promotion must mean its heamoraging listerners en mass.

You wouldnt be Jim Corr in disguise what with your silly conspiracy theories. "the fact we havent got the figures yet shows how bad they must be". Stick to something you know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

on the turbidy issue.

I'm no fan of Tubs but to be fair the period of the survey doesn't cover his stint in the G-Ryan slot. Next book will be a better indicator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BrianDaly

It's an increase. In a tough and competitive target area, any increase is a step in the right direction.

If you look at the BAI web site you'll find out...

So, your answer is NO. They don't ask those surveyed if they listen to the BBC stations or other stations online, they ask them which of the national, regional and local stations they listen to.

The JNLR does record all radio listening. If a person names a BBC station or online station it gets recorded during the survey.

There is no reporting of BBC in the JNLR as you can't advertise on them. Only subscriber stations to the JNLR get their station data reported. I can't see why the BBC would want to have their data reported as there is no benefit to them (plus it's outside of their own remit).

giftgrub wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Tubs but to be fair the period of the survey doesn't cover his stint in the G-Ryan slot. Next book will be a better indicator

Yeah I agree, even if his ratings were dropping on Radio 1 it's a moot point at this stage... and unless he was in the saddle for the complete period of time of the figures then there is no point in looking at them...

• Advertisement

Off The Ball has lost over half it's audience. It had been over 40,000 before RTE decided to put Sport at 7 up against it, but it is now down to 19,500. Just ahead of Sport at 7 at 17,830.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/tuning-in-for-a-change-2401430.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

That indo article is unbelievable sh1te.

I know.

Does John Greene have shares in Newstalk, the tenor of that article suggests so.

Advertisement