Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Month Contracts

Options
  • 28-10-2010 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭

Are we heading for 24 month contracts over here as standard?

Seems like a lot of the companies over here now are increasing some tariffs to 18/24 months

I moved over here from Wales 5 years ago and over there was on a 12 month contract with Voda. Speaking with my Brother in Law (Who's back in Wales) last night and he's just signed up for a new contract with Vodafone, he got a free Samsung Droid phone, but didn't like it, and then said he'd be stuck with it for 2 years as all the contracts over there now are 24 months, occasionally you may get an 18 month but they're few and far between.

I'd hate to be tied to a 2yr contract and would probably revert to PAYG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I can't stand long contracts. one of the main reasons I got my phone with meteor is because they were the only network offering it on a 12 month contract. As long as this stays true then I'm unlikely to ever leave, unless they jack their prices up a lot. I hope networks realise many of their customers don't want to be tied down for that long. If 24 month contracts ever became the norm over here I'd just buy my phones sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

If he really does not like his Samsung Droid phone, he's not stuck with it for 2 years, even on a contract. He could just sell it instead, and the money he gets for it would probably cover most of the cost of an iPhone or whatever new phone he would like to buy SIM free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

It will be interesting to see if the networks try and bring it in like they have in the UK,And if they do bring it in would we get the same handsets for free with so many minutes/data allowance like the UK?
    I recall a couple of years ago while renting a house the lease was for one year not two how can the network providers justify a two year contract.

Advertisement