Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding from 'rescued' strays

Options
  • 28-10-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

God, I really feel like banging my head against a brick wall sometimes :rolleyes: I have met two people recently when out walking the dogs and have stopped for a chat. Generally the conversation veers towards where we got our dogs and both these people were proud of the fact that they had rescued their dogs, one from the pound and the other a stray on the streets.

As the conversations went on it transpired that both these people had decided to subsequently breed from these dogs, both bitches. I am absolutely flabbergasted that people think it is ok to breed from a dog whose history is completely unknown :mad: And while anyone should be proud of rescuing a dog, by breeding from it they are ultimately contributing to the stray dog population in this country, as they are hardly going to take back in the subsequent generations of dogs that this one breeding creates, if for whatever reason the dog ends up in difficulty.

This kind of thing makes me really sad :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I totally agree. That is why all dogs coming out of pounds and rescues should be neutered first before rehoming.

Some people really dont have a clue:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You wouldn't believe the number of people who contact the rescue I volunteer with asking if they could have a particular dog to breed! Policy is all dogs are neutered/spayed before they leave but that doesn't stop people asking if we could skip the op 'just this once'!!! Unbelivable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I honestly thought I had heard it all until this post. I am truly shocked that not one but two separate people would/could do this, just completely cancels out their 'rescuing a stray'. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

One of the owners was planning on breeding her again as he found it so easy to sell the pups (labradors) :( and might keep a bitch from that litter to use in the future. His poor lab was pretty overweight, plodding along. My OH literally had to drag me away before I said something that might earn him a box in the gob :D

The other owner had a ckc (of all the dogs to be breeding from in this way:eek:) and had no plans for another litter. She had found her dog wandering the streets some years ago in extremely poor condition with an embedded collar. Lets hope none of the pups she has contributed to society, and their offspring end up in a similar state

You also have to question the people who despite all the information out there are STILL buying pups from people like this.

I had exerpience recently of someone I know adopting a dog from the pound. She went in, paid a fee of €25 for the dog, plus had to obtain a dog licence and that was it. I'd be very surprised if there aren't people who make a living scouring the pounds for dogs to deal and breed from.

Unfortunately while there are reputable breeders on them, its the free ad sites who make this so easy for people like this to operate, nevermind the people who keep them in business by buying from them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This makes me so mad. These are not dog lovers, they see dogs as dollar signs and nothing else.:mad:

Again its all about supply and demand, if stupid people werent buying from them in the first place then they wouldnt be breeding in the first place.

Its up to us to try and educate people of what exactly goes on with these puppy farmers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

A lot of the time it feels like a losing battle trying to convince people though and as you say Vel, it's the free ads papers and such like that make it so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sadly it doesn't suprise, the amount of people who think they have a God given right to breed their dog, never working, showing or health testing beforehand,it's a disgrace imo.
    There should be no reason to breed a dog unless it is to improve a particular breed and even that should be a rarity.
    No animal lover could create a dog without doing everything in their utmost power to ensure health, purpose and demand. It's just selfish.
    If I had a euro for amount of times I've been called foolish for spaying my Chihuahua, I could retire! She is my pet not a cash cow, her only purpose is to be my pet.
    I will never breed, there is no need for me to. Why would I? I can just sit back and let the experts do that and I can swan in at 8 weeks when all the hard work is done :D
    Though in about 10 years or so I'd love to rescue a racing greyhound!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I know, I dont get it. Or why people dont neuter "just in case", cop on!

Was talking to a guy before, he breeds Maltese (not properly). Tilly was only a pup at the time (about 4 months), he said I will take a female pup off you when you breed her when she goes into heat. :eek:

Advertisement